The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

I think this is witchcraft.

If it's the one I'm thinking of she was arrested in Portsmouth/Gosport for doing a seance where she gave details of a Royal Navy ship which had been torpedoed but which hadn't been released by the War Department, they arrested her on charges of Witchcraft, but the suspicion is there was some leak/espionage involved and the Govt just wanted to keep her banged up and out of the way for the duration.

I think this is witchcraft.

If it's the one I'm thinking of she was arrested in Portsmouth/Gosport for doing a seance where she gave details of a Royal Navy ship which had been torpedoed but which hadn't been released by the War Department, they arrested her on charges of Witchcraft, but the suspicion is there was some leak/espionage involved and the Govt just wanted to keep her banged up and out of the way for the duration.

That's the one Marty - over to you!!

I don't know his name, but ISTR that he was involved in the subterfuge that fooled the Germans into thinking that the D-day landings would take place at Pas-de-Calais rather than Normandy. Fake tanks, empty tents, 'fake' radio traffic all helped. WRT his name, I'll guess 'Nevil' but with no confidence.

I don't know his name, but ISTR that he was involved in the subterfuge that fooled the Germans into thinking that the D-day landings would take place at Pas-de-Calais rather than Normandy. Fake tanks, empty tents, 'fake' radio traffic all helped. WRT his name, I'll guess 'Nevil' but with no confidence.

I suspect you missed my post just before yours where I told you his name :rolleyes: but you're right, he worked for the secret service. Depending on who you believe he was responsible for the inflatable tanks and cardboard cut out planes which deceived Germany in the D-Day landings, which was a rerun of tactics he'd used in North Africa, he was also responsible for creating an illusion which led to Germany bombing an empty lagoon off North Africa instead of Alexandria Harbour.

Over to you.

That'll get you the ding!

More specifically, an Argentine commando unit made a failed attempt to place limpet mines on HMS Ariadne while she was in Gibraltar harbour.

Over to Beach_hut!

Many thanks.

Gibraltar's football team recently became members of UEFA. Who were their opponents in their first match as a fully-fledged international football team?

I know the answer - didn't google, but I have family on Gib - is that allowed? :) :) :)

speelink

If you know the answer without googling, go for it..

OK then draw with Slovakia - but It was in Portugal - Faro - not at the Victoria Stadium. Dave N tells me all their home EUEFA matches could be/will be played in Faro.

OK, sticking with the rock. John Pharisee - we missed each other by a couple of days last year - but how much did you learn about Gib.

Its a mixture of Andalusian Spanish and British English, with vocabulary from Genoese, Hebrew, Maltese and Portuguese.

It is spoken in Gibraltar by the locals.

But what is it called?

I've waited long enough to say "Is it Yan-something?" thanks to a half-remembered comment on some TV programme (with Alan Wicker?) about the rock.

Hi Paul,

Yan something is close enough after this time.

Yanito or Llanito (not too sure about the spellings though. Over to you :) :) :)

That's unexpected, but thank you.

The above question inspired the next: Venetia Phair, née Burney (July 11th 1918 – April 30th 2009) was the first person to suggest a name for something, when aged 11 and living in Oxford. She was granddaughter of Falconer Madan, whose brother Henry Madan (once Science Master of Eton) had suggested two names for somethings not entirely different, in 1878. All three names are still in use.

Extra clue: This object is now known to have at least five moons, one of which is so unusually big it lifts the system's centre of mass (aka barycenter) and rotation outside its primary - the only body in the solar system known to do this apart from the Sun/Jupiter combination, which only just does it too. The 'wobble' this gives our sun is basically the same as what we use to 'spot' planets around distant stars.