The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Right - controversy about to unfold. :( :(

I am giving the Ping-Pong-Ding to Pharisee - 'cos table tennis is the answer I have.

I had to google to find out what wiff-waff was: and of course googling is not allowed in this thread :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ta... I have no idea what "wiff-waff" is either. I thought Boris was more likely to "wiffle-waffle" :lol:

Anyway... on with the show.

A 19th century mathematician and Anglican Deacon wrote a fantasy novel (and it's sequel) that is still read by millions. Any idea what the first book's title is?

Ta... I have no idea what "wiff-waff" is either. I thought Boris was more likely to "wiffle-waffle" :lol:

A 19th century mathematician and Anglican Deacon wrote a fantasy novel (and it's sequel) that is still read by millions. Any idea what the first book's title is?

Philistines! en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiff_Waff - Anyway, I think you're looking for Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (rather than the shortened title, Alice in Wonderland) which spawned Alice Through the Looking Glass. The Deacon was Charles Ludwich Dodgson, better known as Lewis Carroll. Edited by Simply Paul

Philistines! en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiff_Waff - Anyway, I think you're looking for Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (rather than the shortened title, Alice in Wonderland) which spawned Alice Through the Looking Glass. The Deacon was Charles Ludwich Dodgson, better known as Lewis Carroll.

Absolutely right... DING to you, Paul.

You are luc warm :)

Base purely on JoLuc's theory and a bit of de Bono......

Alice was song by Smokey

Some time in the 70's, Ronnie Biggs escaped to Brazil.

Biggs was a bandit, so possibly the link between Alice and Brazil is the film Smokey and the Bandit??

Edited by Sharpeset
In that case would it be that Lewis Carroll wrote Alice's Adventures In Wonderland and also wrote Jabberwocky which was a film directed by Terry Gilliam who also directed Brazil? Not sure what year Jabberwocky came out though...
With some help from MartyBartfast that's a Ding! for Clue-72. Jabberwocky is a poem from Alice through the Looking Glass, and inspired a cracking pythonesque film (directed by Gilliam in 1977) of the same title. Well done. Over to you!

I was in Gibraltar last year... that's fairly way down south. If I remember correctly, Europa Point is at the bottom and there's a big cave there although I never got around to visiting it. That may be the most southerly point on the European mainland but I don't know if some of the Mediterranean Islands would be more southerly or count as part of Europe?

I was in Gibraltar last year... that's fairly way down south. If I remember correctly, Europa Point is at the bottom and there's a big cave there although I never got around to visiting it. That may be the most southerly point on the European mainland but I don't know if some of the Mediterranean Islands would be more southerly or count as part of Europe?

I would have agreed with John on this - until I thought about it - unusual thing - a mosque, a cricket pitch, a lighthouse, a cache - so I googled it - well there you go! :lol: :lol:

"Rule 1 No googling!

Rule 2 - Try and keep your question at the level someone in a pub quiz might be able to answer..."

Now as Goggling is not allowed and I didn’t know the answer and there is no mention off geocaching.com, I looked for Europe’s most southerly cache and found this one.

“GC2C49R Trypiti - The Southernmost of Europe”. The island of Gavdos is located about 36 km south of Crete in the Libyan Sea and is the southernmost island in Europe, and by looking at the gallery the cache page, I can deduce that there is a large chair near GZ.

"Rule 1 No googling!

Rule 2 - Try and keep your question at the level someone in a pub quiz might be able to answer..."

Now as Goggling is not allowed and I didn’t know the answer and there is no mention off geocaching.com, I looked for Europe’s most southerly cache and found this one.

“GC2C49R Trypiti - The Southernmost of Europe”. The island of Gavdos is located about 36 km south of Crete in the Libyan Sea and is the southernmost island in Europe, and by looking at the gallery the cache page, I can deduce that there is a large chair near GZ.

Googling excludes most ways of looking info up online, but GC.com isn't one of them, so a deep south Ding! to you. The island is just south of Crete and at its southern tip, on the cliffs, there is a large sculpture of a chair for reasons unknown :blink:

Thank you for the ding and sorry for the slow response, with the next question.

What group is usually considered to have started on 1 August 1907, with a camp run on Brownsea Island?

That was the boy scouts

that's a ding over to you

Thanks.

John Buchan, the novelist, had a day-job in the latter half of the 1930's. What was the Job?