The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Well, thank you for the kind Ding. Tom Baker was very much 'my Doctor' as I born in 71 and so 'grew up' with him in the role.

If I was to take your question literally ("A topical question... who has played Doctor Who in the most episodes of the program?") the answer would be none. That's why I thought it might be a trick question. The character isn't called Doctor Who, he's simply The Doctor. People (including the fan club, I noted in a recent Tweet of theirs) are still getting this wrong after fifty years, so don't feel too bad about it.

My Question, staying with things 'Not of this Earth': what would the mnemonic (now passing out of fashion for reasons of sexism) "Oh Be A Fine Girl, Kiss Me Right Now Sweetie" be referring to?

That would refer to stellar spectral classification :)
Trust you to know that lol. Please may we have a question about seaside buildings next? ;-)
Ding! for Betelgeuse. Oh Be A Fine Girl, Kiss Me Right Now Sweetie does indeed remind us of the O B A F G K M R N S stellar spectral classification sequence. Adding a W to the start (since 1998, for ultr-hot Wolf-Reyet stars) makes a Wow! to begin with. Betelgeuse is a red supergiant - or Class M - star, of course :) Edited by Simply Paul

:lol: curses! Foiled!

Lord Moynihan is quite a short peer...

(I'm here all week, try the veal)

Careful with that petard now... :lol:

I was on the one at Great Yarmouth last weekend and that didn't reach the sea!

Must have been a pretty low tide - it's short but it's not that short. :)

Wigan Pier... It doesn't go anywhere... as mentioned by George Formby :lol: :lol:

Wigan pier eh? :lol:

I've seen this on the telly, and I think the fag packet is still in existence, I can't remember what it was though. I'll have a guess at Frank Whittle and the jet engine.

Edit: Just realised I hadn't read the right question, so I answered something completely different (clearly a jet engine isn't a 4x4 vehicle!!!!) - Doh.

Edited by MartyBartfast

Any further guesses before I award the half right answer? :)

Not so much a guess ... because I'm not sure what you're getting at with "how the blueprint was created". I assume that the blueprints themselves were created in the conventional manner of the day by draughtsmen at the Rover drawing office in Solihull, where they'd moved after their pre-war factory was destroyed.

Rover had a bit of a problem when the war ended. Their model range was a little on the ostentatious side and too expensive to be successful in the austerity of post-war Britain. So they needed a stop-gap that could quickly be put together to tide them over until they could design more down-to-earth models. Stealing a march from Willys, they created a rugged vehicle for use by farmers. The prototype even had a tractor-like PTO! They couldn't afford the time to design it from the ground up, and so they pressed components from their pre-war range into service in the new vehicle. Steel was heavily rationed, and so they used aluminium alloy left over from their war-time aircraft making for the body panels. Although it was a hotch-potch cobbled together from necessity, the Landrover was an immediate success.

It was only meant as a stop-gap. Yet descendents of the Landrover are all that's now left of the once-proud Rover company :(

Right- first apologies for the delays, had a bit of trouble in the real world that needed sorting.

Back to the quiz. The answer I was looking for was Land Rover -the model being what is now the Defender. The second part I was looking for was

"Maurice Wilks tested a prototype for what has become one of the world's most successful off-road utility vehicles in fields at Red Wharf Bay just across the road from Ysgol Dwyran.

As an inventive engineer Mr Wilks thought he could come up with a better vehicle for farmers, combining the qualities of a car with those of a tractor. He drew a sketch of his ideal all-terrain vehicle in the sands of Red Wharf Bay and the Land Rover was conceived."

I now need clarification on who I award the Ding to- Simply Paul for being first to name Land Rover ...or Pajaholic for a more detailed explanation of the process, but without actually mentioning Red Wharf Bay or drawing in the sand (but almost everything else about the creation!)

<_<