The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

That'll get you the DING!

Although the Nobel was awarded for "services to theoretical physics", the substantive piece of work that earned him the prize was the discovery of the Law governing the photoelectric effect. This discovery laid the foundations for future work in quantum physics.

Over to MTH :)

I thought that Marie Curie shared her first Nobel prize with her husband.

This question is nagging me because it asks for a "person". ISTR that the International Red Cross has won several Peace prizes, including for both World Wars. I suspect that, legally, the Red Cross is a 'person' (in the same way as any body incorporated is) but I'm not sure it's the answer that MTH is looking for!

Linus Pauling gets the Ding.

Marie Curie dod indeed share het first prize with her husband and , I think, Roentgen. Howevere Pierre Curie refused to accept unless Marie was included.

Seversl organisations, including the Red Cross, have won more than one prize but I did want an individual.

I must find out more about Pauling - Chemistry and Peace is quite some going!

I'd been staring at this question for ages and I felt the info was somewhere in my head, just had to wait for the right bit of the filing cabinet of my brain to open... ;-)

It's just hit me this morning. They are ranks of Peerage. I think it's Dukes, Earls, Viscounts, Barons. Forgotten what M is now :-)

Edit: as I clicked post I remembered: Marquesses

Edited by Beach_hut

I'd been staring at this question for ages and I felt the info was somewhere in my head, just had to wait for the right bit of the filing cabinet of my brain to open... ;-)

It's just hit me this morning. They are ranks of Peerage. I think it's Dukes, Earls, Viscounts, Barons. Forgotten what M is now :-)

Exactly - that's a DING for Beach_hut.

Exactly - that's a DING for Beach_hut.

Woohoo thanks :-)

Here's the next question - which non-royal person was offered to be the Duke of London?