The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

OU degree in geology finally pays off. :laughing:

A craton is an old and stable area of continental crust that's survived tectonic processes relatively unchanged. They're also called shields. As an example, the central part of Canada is a massive craton formed of precambrian metamorphic rocks that were once part of the ancient Laurentian continental landmass.

Close enough for rock 'n' roll. Have a DING! for that answer. :)

Horsts and grabens are caused by normal faults (normal in the geological sense) where the Earth's crust is stretched and under tension and fractures along a fault line with the hanging wall moving down. Downthrown blocks between two normal faults dipping toward each other are called grabens, upthrown blocks between two normal faults dipping away from each other are called horsts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horst_and_graben

Edited by Betelgeuse

Thanks for the ding

Where in the British isles is the Marisco Tavern

That i believe is on the Isle of Lundy, even though i have never been there, i used to live in North Devon, so spent a lot of time looking at it [:)]

That is a Ding for you.

I worked in the Tavern in 2001/2 I know it well.

Cool, I'll keep it on the Marisco theme and ask which town, which can see Lundy has a nightclub called Mariscos?

OK, you have all heard of a pride of lions or a troop of monkeys - but what is the collective noun for a load of moles?

A ****** of moles!

that will be company or labour of Moles

I have a cat that loves to cache moles. he sits for hours watching mole hills, he then takes of vertically, dives head first into the hill and comes out with the mole in his mouth. the local farmer loves him as he keeps his filed clear of moles.

OK, you have all heard of a pride of lions or a troop of monkeys - but what is the collective noun for a load of moles?

A ****** of moles!

I have a cat that loves to cache moles. he sits for hours watching mole hills, he then takes of vertically, dives head first into the hill and comes out with the mole in his mouth. the local farmer loves him as he keeps his filed clear of moles.

Cor, that was quick - DING!

A ****** of moles!

Cor, that was quick - DING!

It would have been quicker if I hadn't had to answer the phone.

which is the highest navigable road in N Wales? at approx, 1950ft/595m(but only by walkers, mountain bikers and 4x4 off roaders)

Edited by martin&lindabryn
which is the highest navigable road in N Wales? at approx, 1950ft/595m(but only by walkers, mountain bikers and 4x4 off roaders)

Some idiot drove up Snowdon twice not long ago. Does that count?

dose not count, as the road I am thinking of, has legal public access, it is very popular with 4*4 drivers and motorbikes.

there is also a cache near the top of the pass that has been there since September 2002

I think I've identified it using a little bit of research... I didn't technically go on Google (well apart from their maps service)

The cache is Wayfarer's Memorial GC8AEE. The track runs from Llandrillo to Pentre?

that will be a ding for you Google :anitongue: will be forgiven this time :laughing:

Woo thanks! :D

Ok here's my question. "Who owns the fish?" is a famous logic puzzle. Who is reputed to have devised it?

There can only be one question to follow, although it's a bit beyond what you might get in a pub quiz (sorry)

There are five houses in a row and in five different colours.In each house lives a person from a different country.

Each person drinks a certain drink, plays a certain sport, and keeps a certain pet.

No two people drink the same drink, play the same sport, or keep the same pet.

• The Brit lives in a red house
  • The Swede keeps dogs
  • The Dane drinks tea
  • The green house is on the left of the white house
  • The green house owner drinks coffee
  • The person who plays polo rears birds
  • The owner of the yellow house plays hockey
  • The man living in the house right in the centre drinks milk
  • The Norwegian lives in the first house
  • The man who plays baseball lives next to the man who keeps cats
  • The man who keeps horses lives next to the one who plays hockey
  • The man who plays billiards drinks beer
  • The German plays soccer
  • The Norwegian lives next to the blue house
  • The man who plays baseball has a neighbour who drinks water.

Who Owns The Fish?