The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

In terms of height above sea level I'd guess Kilimanjaro.

At least that's what they said when I at the summit!

That's a DING! for you sir. With an overall height of 5,895m, the extinct stratovolcano Kilimanjaro rises some 5,100m above the plain in which it stands.

The shield volcano Mauna Kea in the Hawaiian archipelago has a base to summit height of 10,200m but only has a height of 4205m above sea level.

Thank you.

Kili is actually three volcanoes in one: Shira, Mawenzi and Kibo. Whilst Shira and Mawenzi are extinct, the highest peak Kibo is dormant and there are some fumeroles from the summit crater.

Which brings me to the next question.

Which point on the Earth's surface is furthest from the centre of the planet?

Edited by MTH

That's a very quick ding for Pharisee

Thank you....

Below is the text of a famous signal, sent by Vice Admiral Cuthbert Collingwood after the battle of Trafalgar.

A simple question.... Who was it sent to? Name and position held at the time, please.

EURYALUS, At Sea, October 22nd 1805

Sir,

Yesterday a battle was fought by His Majesty’s Fleet, and a victory gained, which will stand recorded as the most brilliant and decisive, that ever distinguished the British Navy… Our loss has been great in men: but what is irreparable and the cause of Universal Lamentation is the death of the Noble Commander-in-Chief who died in the arms of Victory: I have not yet any reports of the ships…

I have to congratulate you on the Great Event, and have the honour to be…

Your obedient servant

Signed, C. Collingwood

just had a chat with my farther in law, who has just returned from a cruse to Gibraltar.

he informs me, that the communicate was sent to the Governor of Gibraltar, General Henry Fox

Spot on!!

I've just returned from Gibraltar myself, hence this question. There's a plaque in the Trafalgar Cemetery commemorating it.

a73afa22-c710-49e1-81db-36c5829cedf9.jpg?rnd=0.380895

thank you for the ding

Now we all know that February is the shortest month of the year,

Can you tell me which is the longest month of the year and why?

October because it has 31 days + 1 hour (when the clocks go back.)

I must make my questions harder, as they are answered almost as soon as I post them.

The ding goes to MartyBartfast with his 4 minute answer

I must make my questions harder, as they are answered almost as soon as I post them.

Or read all the 9000+ posts in this thread, I think this has been asked before.

Where would you find:

A scientist,

A heroine,

A hero,

A handyman,

A domestic,

A groupie,

A rival scientist,

A creation,

An expert,

An ex-delivery boy.

Where would you find:

A scientist,

A heroine,

A hero,

A handyman,

A domestic,

A groupie,

A rival scientist,

A creation,

An expert,

An ex-delivery boy.

Clearly, one would find them Over at the Frankenstein Place... :) Edited by Simply Paul

Where would you find:

A scientist,

A heroine,

A hero,

A handyman,

A domestic,

A groupie,

A rival scientist,

A creation,

An expert,

An ex-delivery boy.

Clearly, one would find them Over at the Frankenstein Place... :)

thats a big DING DONG to the man in the basque & fish-nets

Thank you. For a straight man I do love a musical. Sticking with things around in 1975, where would you have heard, "She's breakin' up! She's breakin'-" on a semi-regular basis?

That's the opening sequences to the "Six Million Dollar Man" I have the box set :(

Thank you. For a straight man I do love a musical. Sticking with things around in 1975, where would you have heard, "She's breakin' up! She's breakin'-" on a semi-regular basis?
That's the opening sequences to the "Six Million Dollar Man" I have the box set :(
That's a slow-motion DingDingDingDingDingDingDingDingDingDingDing to - I'm guessing here - Martin. [Edit - my mistake. Sorry] Fast work!
, and here's some info and
experimental Lifting Body seen crashing in them. The pilot survived but, yes, did lose the use of an eye... DingDingDingDingDingDingDingDingDingDingDing! Edited by Simply Paul

A change of direction. I've been watching the IOM TT races on TV and there have been some lap records broken again this year. The current lap record for the 37.73 mile course stands at 131.671 mph but who was the first person to record a 100 mph lap and in which year?

A change of direction. I've been watching the IOM TT races on TV and there have been some lap records broken again this year. The current lap record for the 37.73 mile course stands at 131.671 mph but who was the first person to record a 100 mph lap and in which year?

I know that.... Bob McIntyre in 1957 on a 4 cylinder, 500cc Gilera at 101 point something or other miles per hour.

I know that.... Bob McIntyre in 1957 on a 4 cylinder, 500cc Gilera at 101 point something or other miles per hour.

That's a DING! for you. :)

That's a DING! for you. :)

OK, ta

What's a 'Bangalore Torpedo' ?

HINT: - It's nothing to do with ten pints of lager and a chicken vindaloo :ph34r:

Edited by Pharisee

It's a rather ingenious pipe bomb. It can be deployed on a set of tubes that screw together or extend to reach enemy defenses - typically barbed wire. It's pushed under the obstruction and then detonated remotely to clear it. They can also be used to clear mines. They were used extensively in WWI and WWII.

It's a rather ingenious pipe bomb. It can be deployed on a set of tubes that screw together or extend to reach enemy defenses - typically barbed wire. It's pushed under the obstruction and then detonated remotely to clear it. They can also be used to clear mines. They were used extensively in WWI and WWII.

That's a DING and back to you, then.

It was one of those questions that I just knew the answer to. :)

Right-ho. Yet another change of tack...

What is involved in the crime of embracery?

Is it something to do with having allegiance to someone outside the kingdom (speaking as someone currently trying to keep pace with The Tudors)

It was one of those questions that I just knew the answer to. :)

Right-ho. Yet another change of tack...

What is involved in the crime of embracery?

Is it something to do with having allegiance to someone outside the kingdom (speaking as someone currently trying to keep pace with The Tudors)

'Fraid not old chap. Nice answer though. :)

Way down deep in the middle of the Congo, a hippo took an apricot, a

guava and a mango. He stuck it with the others, and he danced a dainty

tango.

The rhino said, "I know, we'll call it Um Bongo", Um Bongo, Um Bongo,

They drink it in the Congo.

The python picked the passion fruit, the marmoset the mandarin. The

parrot painted packets, that the whole caboodle landed in.

So when it comes to sun and fun and goodness in the jungle, They all

prefer the sunny funny one they call Um Bongo!

Especially the elephant who loves a good party. :P:blink:

Way down deep in the middle of the Congo, a hippo took an apricot, a

guava and a mango. He stuck it with the others, and he danced a dainty

tango.

The rhino said, "I know, we'll call it Um Bongo", Um Bongo, Um Bongo,

They drink it in the Congo.

The python picked the passion fruit, the marmoset the mandarin. The

parrot painted packets, that the whole caboodle landed in.

So when it comes to sun and fun and goodness in the jungle, They all

prefer the sunny funny one they call Um Bongo!

Especially the elephant who loves a good party. :P:blink:

sorry not a ding yet :yikes: