The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

I suspect that it's the other way around. I.e. a Rector is 'self-employed' and receives his income directly from the congregation. As such, he cannot be 'sacked' (although his congregation can choose to go elsewhere!) OTOH, a Vicar is employed by a religious organisation, such as a diocese or monastery, receives a stipend, and can be replaced, reassigned, etc.

That seems to be as close as we'll get - it's historical, based on the tithes. A Rector received all the tithes from a parish whereas a Vicar was employed by an institution ( commonly a monastery ) who 'owned' the parish and who paid the vicar to act on their spiritual behalf ( or vicariously ). The Vicar would typically receive a third of the total tithe. The only practical distinction to survive is that generally a Rector owns the freehold of the chancel, but not a Vicar.

So it's a ding to Pajaholic :D

Thanks.

Staying with the Eclesiastical theme, but stepping sideways (and cribbed from QI's "I" series): The Papal Inquisition continues to this day but under a different name. In 1908 it changed its name to "The Sacred Congregation of the Holy Office" and in 1965 to "The Congregation of the Doctrine of the Faith". But, for the ding, can you name its leader when John-Paul II was Pope?

No, before him. Pope John Paul I took his name by combining the names of his two predecessors. I'm thinking of a last Pope to choose a completely new name.

Ok Pius....John....Paul......I'll gor for a :

Pope Paul (don't know what number though)

Just realised if they had a number it wasn't a compl;etely new name :huh:

Edited by dodgydaved

Hmmm. Do I ding Beach_Hut for being first, or dodgydaved for the detailed answer? I think it has to be Beach_Hut. Over to you.

Why thank you :-)

OK, keeping with things medical, what is measured using the Bristol Scale? Minds out of the gutter - it's not what you think!

Ding dodgydaved - that didn't take long

Ok it was cup final day (respect to Wigan).

The 1946 Cup Final was special for several reasons: (Derby County 4 -1 Charlton Athletic)

The 1st after WWII. The teams were given bronze medals and gold medals later - shortage of gold - so the first time teams had 2 medals.

The first where the same person scored for both sides: Bert Turner OG then scored for Charlton:

But........what else unusual happened?............

Ding dodgydaved - that didn't take long

Ok it was cup final day (respect to Wigan).

The 1946 Cup Final was special for several reasons: (Derby County 4 -1 Charlton Athletic)

The 1st after WWII. The teams were given bronze medals and gold medals later - shortage of gold - so the first time teams had 2 medals.

The first where the same person scored for both sides: Bert Turner OG then scored for Charlton:

But........what else unusual happened?............

The longest holders of the FA Cup (Portsmouth) finally gave it up after holding it for 6 years?