The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

That would be Voyager 1 and it's said to have left the influence of the Sun although that's a statement that's being argued at present. The evidence for this is a sudden decrease in solar particles and a corresponding increase in cosmic rays. If it hasn't already, then it'll exit the region of the heliopause some time soon.

Voyager 2 is still within the influence of the Sun but is also at the heliopause. The missions of both are expected to last until around 2025 when the radiothermal generators that power them will finally stop producing sufficient power to maintain operation of the transmitters. Fantastic stuff really. :)

That would be Voyager 1 and it's said to have left the influence of the Sun although that's a statement that's being argued at present. The evidence for this is a sudden decrease in solar particles and a corresponding increase in cosmic rays. If it hasn't already, then it'll exit the region of the heliopause some time soon.

Voyager 2 is still within the influence of the Sun but is also at the heliopause. The missions of both are expected to last until around 2025 when the radiothermal generators that power them will finally stop producing sufficient power to maintain operation of the transmitters. Fantastic stuff really. :)

That’s a ding. Thought that may have lasted longer than that

Too many space geeks in here for a question like that to last. :laughing:

Staying with Voyager 1 for a while longer, it's mission trajectory was altered to take it out of the plane of the ecliptic and it's 'grand tour' of the solar system terminated leaving Voyager 2 to complete that part of the mission.

Why was the trajectory altered?

To visit Titan?

That will get you the DING!

A year before Voyager's encounter with Saturn, Pioneer 11 had detected a thick atmosphere around Titan and the mission controllers decided that it was too good an opportunity to miss - they were in the unusual position of having two craft and being able to 'sacrifice' one to perform some important science on this strange moon. They knew that the encounter would impart a gravitational slingshot effect and propel it out of the plane of the ecliptic effectively ending its planetary mission.

I remember listening to the last broad cast from radio Caroline as she was sinking on 20 March 1980.

I had to Google the next bit.

The last broadcast from the Mi Amigo was by Stevie Gordon and Tom Anderson, as follows

Well, we're sorry to tell you that due to the severe weather conditions and the fact that we are shipping quite a lot of water, we are closing down, and the crew are at this stage leaving the ship. Obviously, we hope to be back with you as soon as possible, but just for the moment we would like to say goodbye. "It's not a very good occasion really, we have to hurry this because the lifeboat is standing by. We're not leaving and disappearing, we're going onto the lifeboat hoping that the pumps can take it, if they can, we'll be back, if not, well we really don't like to say it. I'm sure we'll be back one way or another. For the moment from all of us, goodbye and God Bless."

That answer confirms the cache is in Wales, but it doesn’t give the cattle grid’s location. No Ding yet
I can also confirm the cattle grid is located at ground level, on a road, between fences, walls or hedges. If that's not good enough then someone else clicking that link will get the Ding. Which is perfectly fair :laughing:
That answer confirms the cache is in Wales, but it doesn’t give the cattle grid’s location. No Ding yet
I can also confirm the cattle grid is located at ground level, on a road, between fences, walls or hedges. If that's not good enough then someone else clicking that link will get the Ding. Which is perfectly fair :laughing:

For your persistence I will give you the Ding.<P></P>

The First Cattle Grid In Wales GC3DE7V

In the 1940’s the first cattle grid in England and Wales was installed on the B4391 over the Berwyn from Llangynog to Bala, to deter sheep from wandering.

At that time cattle grids were not permitted on the public highways, but the land owner was influential in political circles.

Eventually legislation was passed in 1950 which permitted the placing of cattle grids on the public highway

The first official 'Cattle Grid' sign in the country was placed here on the 27 June 1952

081c1d5f-e872-454d-b963-7e14643db2e9.jpg

c288ef04-9448-4ead-aa21-87f5eb72de9e.jpg

<P></P>Images of the new cattle grid on the B4391 over the Berwyn from Llangynog to Bala, to deter sheep from wandering, showing the grid itself and the first official 'Cattle Grid' sign in the country, next to which (left to right) R E Davies (Llandderfel), R R Davies (Cynwyd), J J Evans (County Council Regional Surveyor), Huw Edwards (Supervisor to the Duke of Westminster Estates) and I D Conacher (Pale Estate) are standing.

Edited by martin&lindabryn

What a great story for something you take for granted and never really think about until you have to walk over one. I always check for stuck hedgehogs when I do; not every grid has a route out if they fall in.

Thanks too for the Ding. I feel a little guilty... but not enough to stop me setting another question. On the subjects of firsts and things we take for granted, what exploded on the 2nd of January 1869, injuring or even killing (reports differ) a policeman?

Traffic lights... may be in London.. MaxKim
Gets you a green-lit Ding. There's a plaque on the wall close to Big Ben on the corner of Parliament Square to commemorate this unlikely incident. Gas-powered traffic-signals quickly fell out of style. Over to maxkim.

Edit to add a photo of the plaque:

john+peake+knight+plaque.jpg

Edited by Simply Paul
I'll take a guess at Kipling
.... a big Gunga DING for SP!!
And to think, I've never even Kippled. Thanks dodgydaved.

Staying on this theme, "Do you like Dorking?" "I don't know. I've never Dorked" - which lead me to this headline from October 2009: "Dorking's famous _______ _______ is dead." Please fill in the blanks for me for the Ding.