The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

unless you mean the cumulative totals, in which case it's 364 as each present is mentioned several times throughout the course of the song

That's the answer I wanted. The gifts are cumulative, so "A Partridge In A Pear Tree" for example is given on each of the 12 days.

78 is the number of gifts given on the 12th day only.

That's a DIng, Dong Merrily On High for dodgydaved :D

No - I only passed a comment, the Xmas Ding Dong should go to (dan - dan - daaaan!) MELLERS!!!

To be honest, Dave (If I may call you dave ;)) I'm away from home at the moment with only intermittent internet access. I just popped in to the local Le McDonalds (guess where I am then!) to write up my logs for today's finds. I can't guarantee to be about to ding the answer for any question I set (I should have thought about that before leaping in and answering a Q), so I'm happy for you to do the honours.

My turn to apologise, and I don't have any painkillers (or pre-Christmas lubrication) to blame.

Either of you can set the next question - first to jump in.

Here's a (possible) quickie then:

Which British Prime Minister stated "Christmas is a day of meaning and traditions, a special day spent in the warm circle of family and friends." ?

From a recent TV documentary, the last lunar landing was 40 years ago in December 1972. ISTR that was Apollo 17. Apollo 13 happened when I was doing CSE Art in 1970 as I remember doing a 'space montage' that included elements of that mission and I got a rough time for using powder paints like impasto! So I'll guess they did two per year, which would give Apollo 14 and Apollo 15 for 1971.

...which would give Apollo 14 and Apollo 15 for 1971.
In space, no one can hear you Ding!

The programme originally called for three landings a year but this was slowed to two after the Apollo 1 accident and subsequent hold on manned missions for safety improvements. It also stretched things out so the loss of Apollo 20 - and soon afterwards, the dropping of Apollo 19 and 18 - wouldn't terminate the programme too suddenly or too early. 11 landed in 1969, 12 and 13 were in '70, 14 and 15 in '71 and 16 and 17 were 40 years ago - the last men to walk on the moon returned to Earth on December 19th. How time flies. The Chinese, Japanese and Indian space programmes all have moon landing plans, but I seriously wonder if we'll go back in my lifetime. Anyway, over to Pajaholic.

P.S. Happy Giftmas

Thanks.

The next one comes courtesy of QI and seems strangely appropriate given recent news: Other than a song, or a less than satisfactory present, who or what was "The Great Disappointment"?

Invention of the padded bra?

(Edited to bring the question onto this page too)

Edited by Simply Paul

Close enough for the DING!

Some foretold that the World would end at 11 minutes past 11 a.m. GMT on 21 Dec 2012, but it seems that things have continued as normal. "The Great Disappointment" was a previous unfulfilled "end of the world" prophesy.

The Millerite Christian sect calculated that the "Second Coming" would occur on 22 Oct 1844, and with it the Apocaplypse, Rapture and the end of the World. Some gave away all their worldly possessions in preparation. When things otherwise continued as normal, that day and the unfulfilled expectation became known as "The Great Disappointment".

Seasons Greetings to all.

Over to DrDick&Vick

As we approach New Year's Eve, there will be a lot of people wide awake (and partying, possibly) as the clocks strike midnight. If you were to look at an analogue clock at that time of night, both hands would be pointing straight up...

However, if you look at the same analogue clock 20 minutes later the hands will have moved apart. The question is by HOW MANY DEGREES?

To clarify: What is the smaller angle between the two hands of an analogue clock at 20 past 12 (midnight, or even mid-day)?

Use of protractors, pencils, paper, compasses and non-scientific calculators is permitted!

This question assumes that the points of the two hands describe the angle from the very centre of the clock and it doesn't take in to account any aesthetic tapering of the hands which may affect the visible angle. The instant of 20 past 12 is the key moment and if it helps you, assume it's one of those clocks where both hands jump forward once a minute to remove any pedantic ambiguity about the nature of analogue movement!!!! CLUE: it's a nice round number!

Any further clarification required just ask!

It would.

Possibly the worst gig I've ever seen. They turned up late by which time a large amount of beer had been consumed. The inevitable consequence was a section of the crowd throwing of glasses containing waste products from the beer they'd drunk.

I've only heard of them as a friend of mine is a big fan.

To continue the rude theme.... who said "Sex without love is a meaningless experience, but as far as meaningless experiences go its pretty dadgum good."

Edit... that second to last word has been altered from the original by the forum software.

Edited by TheOldfields

Prompted by watching the Royal Institution's Christmas Lectures on iPlayer, I referred to the periodic table. This question jumped out of my subconscious as I noted that the atomic number of gold is 79. A few seconds later, something clicked: 9, 18, and 22 are all common carat values of jewellery-quality gold.

So those four number all relate to gold and are significant to jewellery?