The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Sticking with the late Leonard Rossiter:

In his last TV role he played a London Supermarket manager. What was the character's name?

(For a non-counting bonus could you name the star who took over the series lead after Rossiter's death!)

Something like Tripper or Trapper and i havent a clue on the bonus

In his last TV role he played a London Supermarket manager. What was the character's name?

(For a non-counting bonus could you name the star who took over the series lead after Rossiter's death!)

Let's keep it rolling - good enough shout for me!!

Norman Tripper in "Tripper's Day" - 2 years after Rossiter's death the series came back with Bruce Forsyth as Cecil Slinger in "Slinger's Day"

Ding and over to you.............................

Let's keep it rolling - good enough shout for me!!

Norman Tripper in "Tripper's Day" - 2 years after Rossiter's death the series came back with Bruce Forsyth as Cecil Slinger in "Slinger's Day"

Ding and over to you.............................

OK will stay on the track of Sitcoms by asking you all to name Frank and Betty Spencers daughter?

How many stages has current Cycle World Road Racing Champion, Mark Cavendish won in total on the Tour de France cycle race?

(Yes, I've been glued to the screen for the last 3 weeks!)

My guess is 32

No ding for 32... I'll give a clue - it's a bit lower than that.

I think he just matched Eddy Merckx's record, something like 17.

Oooh Marty's on the right lines, but doesn't get the ding just yet.

More clues... Cavendish hasn't quite equalled Merckx's record 34 stage wins, but on Sunday he did overtake the famous Lance Armstrong for number of Tour stage wins. He is easily the 'Brit with the most stage wins'; before Cav, the most a British cyclist got was 8. There are only 3 men who have won more Tour stages than him; two Frenchmen (Andre Leducq and Bernard Hinault) and the incomparable Merckx.

(What Cavendish has achieved is as noteworthy as the other British man famous in the news this week for doing so well in the Tour! Ed.)

Cav's win puts him 4th on the all-time list behind Merckx (34 wins), Hinault (28) and Leducq (25).

I was glued to it as well this year. Not just this year though, every year since C4 started coverage in 1986.

Greg Lemond won the tour that year, beating his team-mate Bernard Hinault in a fierce and bitter battle.

Lemond could actually have won the tour the previous year, but instead had helped Hinault to a record equalling 5th win. In return Hinault promised to help Lemond win the tour in 1986 but reneged on that promise attacking Lemond at almost every opportunity. I particularly remember the stage to Alpe D'Huez where the riders finshed arm-in-arm after seemingly calling a truce.

Back then there were hardly any British riders in the race and I never thought I'd see one win the tour. One British rider though had won the King of the Mountains. Who was he?

P.S. I'm not forgetting Cav's green jersey in 2011

Edited by MTH

...I was glued to it as well this year. Not just this year though, every year since C4 started coverage in 1986...

Me too - and I've been there in person with my camper van on a number of occasions too. Marvellous!!!!!

I have the answer to your question, but I have to go out caching now (continuous caching streak and Church Micro cache maintenance calling) so won't answer as I don't have time to set one today! lol! If it's still unanswered by the time I come back, I'll step in!

Back then there were hardly any British riders in the race and I never thought I'd see one win the tour. One British rider though had won the King of the Mountains. Who was he?

FWIW, I've already answered this question upthread (although I might have misspelled his surname). However, I'm out for most of today so I'll leave it for others to answer this time around.

Well that was a while ago... No harm in recycling questions :-)

I haven't seen this confirmed anywhere, but I think Cavendish is now the most successful rider ever in terms of road-stage wins in the tour. All the riders with more stages won a number of time trials (Merckx at least 12 & Hinault at least 8 before I gave up counting. Leducq won one individual TT plus a number of team TT when an individual stage winner was also named).

DING

Robert Millar won the polka-dot jersey in 1984 and also came 4th in the tour that year. The best peformance by a british rider until this year (although Wiggins had matched the 4th place finish in 2009).

Millar also came 2nd in the Vuelta (twice) and Giro; achievements which tend to get overlooked.

Personally I remember him going the wrong way at the top of a climb and probably losing a stage victory as a result (Guzet-Neige in 1988).

That would be a nice quick ding for mellers.

I reckon mellers is sitting there knocking back a few Bacardi's as we type !

hehehe! If a few typos start cropping up from now on, then you might be right. Fizz is more my tipple, though.

In fact at the time I had to stay tea-total as I was working front of house at our local theatre. Back home now (it was a short show), I have to think of a new question...

Let's make it theatre-related.

What is the "Antoinette Perry Award for Excellence in Theatre" (that's the one which awards shows, actors etc on Broadway) more commonly known as?

Thanks -- FWIW, guessed from "Tony" being a diminutive of "Antoinette" and knowing that showbiz somewhere has a "Tony" award! Of course, that means I now need to set a question for which I'm not prepared; and I usually try to 'follow on' from the previous question -- so this ill-thought-out question is about showbiz:

What do the characters Dr. Nicholas Garrigan and Capt Jean-Luc Picard have in common?

Edited by Pajaholic

That'll get you a DING!

Dr. Nicholas Garrigan, a leading role from "The Last King of Scotland", was played by James McAvoy, who played Charles Xavier in X-Men First Class. Capt. Jean-Luc Picard, a leading role from "Star Trek, The Next Generation", was played by Patrick Steward, who played Charles Xavier in the previous X-Men movies

So both characters have been played by actors who also played Charles Xavier.

I have a feeling that this is a relatively modern montage that contains lots of clips from older classics. This is particularly hinted at by the somewhat eclectic mix of genres those actors represent. Unfortunately, that sort of film isn't my cup of tea and so I have no idea of the title! :(

Lord Coe (Sebastian) has been instrumental in getting the Olympic Games to London this summer and is also famous as an Olympic gold medal-winning runner himself (1980 & 1984) in the 1500m. During the late 1970s and early 1980s there was a well-documented sporting rivalry between him and which other British middle-distance runner.

Steve ovett

DING!!! (and thanks to MTH for getting the answer so quickly and picking the bloke I meant!) I was browsing the interwebs afterwards (like you do) and spotted that some consider there to have been a small amount of rivalry between those two and Steve Cram as well, and I was bracing myself for someone saying that name and me having to extricate myself from a poorly-worded question situation!

Phew!

DING to Pajaholic for cricket.

They won the gold medal the only time cricket appeared in 1900. Only Britain and France (represented mostly by British ex-pats) competed.

Cricket is possibly going to reappear in 2020, appropriately in the T20 format.