The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Not what I was thinking of, but it is a cache and Chicago's O'Hare is one of the busiest international airports in the world; so I'll give you the DING!

The one I was thinking of is GC1HA96 "Butterfly Garden @ Changi Airport T3 Transit". FWIW I passed pretty close to that cache on the way back from Australia last week but the stopover in Singapore was just long enough for Emirates to turn the plane around. We only had enough time to get off the plane and get through security before it was time to go to the departure lounge. So I couldn't go seek :(

The Victoria Monument? Or something close to that?
Close enough for a DING, it's actually the Victoria Memorial.
Of *course* it's memorial. I knew that :)

Thanks very much MB. A fresh question: There's a Transit of Venus going on as I type this. In which year was the last one, and in which year is the next? Ding for both so post with care! Hoping for clear skies in the morning. My alarm is set for 4am...

Edit. They look like this:

venus.jpg

Edited by Simply Paul

The last one was 2004 - I remember watching it. Sadly the sky was overcast where I live so there was chance to see anything this time and I won't be around for the next one though as that's not until 2117.

mark

Keeping to the same theme.

Captain Cook sailed to Tahiti to record the transit of Venus in 1769, but what was was the scientific purpose of this?

Was this the voyage to demonstrate/test/verify Harrison's clock/watch/chronometer submitted in an attempt to win the Longitude Prize?

To determine the correct distance of the astronomical unit (the distance between the Earth and the Sun).

DING

Measurements were taken from a number of locations with Tahiti probably being the furthest from Europe. They managed to come up with an answer within 1% of the correct distance which is a remarkable achievement for the day.

After observing the transit of Venus, Cook opned his secret orders which were to proceed South and attempt to find the vast Southern continent. This lead to Cook's "discovery" of Australia and New Zealand, claiming them for Britain. It might be argued this was the real purpose of his voyage.

A bit slow on the next question though!

The cartoon "Top Cat" (aka "Boss Cat" in the UK), was based on which other TV show?

Oooh, I'm thinking Sgt Bilko....

And you'd be right so

DING

and the actor who played Doberman in Bilko also voiced Benny the Ball (who was based on Doberman) in Top Cat.

As an American Football coach I'll chuck in this doozy.

I am a part owner of the Green Bay Packers. One of the oldest and most storied franchises in the world. How many world championships have the Green bay Packers won?

Oooh is this a trick question? I'm going to guess that there's no such thing as world championships in American Football so my guess is none.

No sorry. There are such things as world championships. Team and club. (USA won the nation world championships 50-7 over Canada last year)

The modern superbowl is regarded as a world championship. It might annoy non-americnas but the fact is if the rest of the world put together a team it would still lose to the worst NFL team.

It's a trick question, but probably unintended and not in the way that you might think. AFAICT, the competition that the Packers etc. enter is either the "World Series" or the "Superbowl". The "World Championship" is an entirely different competition among countries rather than 'cities'. So AFAICT although the Packers might have been (and probably have been) 'world champions' several times over, they have never entered let alone won the World Championship!

The world series is baseball not Americna Football.

Clubs can have a world championship. Its not a national monopoly. Soccer has one. The only reason there isnt one in american football is because like I said in the previous post, the rest of the world put together would not be able to beat the worst NFL team. So the Superbowl champs are the defacto world champs.

Anyone got an answer?

The world series is baseball not Americna Football.

For info, although baseball has a World Series, so does NFL (their website is littered with the term). AFAICT, the NFL Word Series is more commonly known as the "Superbowl". The "World Championship" is organised by IFAF rather than NFL and is a competition for national teams. ISTR it was held recently in Austria!

Where on their website? Ive never heard it reffered to as a world series.

I know all about the IFAF World Championship, I went. Knowing as much as you do about the IFAF World Cup you have either done alot of research on a little known competition to try and make your point which frankly is a bit wierd or you are a big fan of football. If you were a big fan of football youd prob not even replied to the original question as you know the superbowl is the world champs for clubs and the World Cup the world champs for Nations.

p.s. I think Im being trolled.

Edited by Dogfort

FWIW the baseball World Series has nothing to do with it being a global championship, but is to do with the fact that it's original (and perhaps current?) sponsor is a newspaper called "The World", hence The World Series a-la Carling Cup.

Anyway back on topic, I know zilch about American Football but there are several blokes at work who are obsessed and have their favourite teams, so I joined in and picked my team based on who had the fittest the Cheerleaders :ph34r: and ended up with Dallas Cowboys :blink:

I'll guess at 4 for The Packers.

Edited by MartyBartfast

I thought the same thing but the World newspapaer thing is a myth. I lost count how many time I said that and felt smug!!! Glad noone pointed it out to me!!!

4 is a good guess as it is the amount of super bowl Green Bay has won but unfortunately you get a X this time.

p.s. I think Im being trolled.

You're not being trolled. FWIW, I'm not an NFL fan but you don't forget something that cost you a round of drinks, which this subject has. Some years ago I was offered as many guesses as I wanted to answer the question, Who won the American Football World Championship of a certain year? I went through every NFL team I could think of ... to no avail; and was astonished to discover that 'Japan' was the correct answer. :(

That's not trolling, it's British pedantry :laughing: there's always at least one at any given pub quiz. Just be thankful you're not married to one. :ph34r: (A British pendent, that is...)

Mr F is a football fan and he says it's either 3 or 4 times, so as 4 is gone, we're going with 3, please, Dogfort. (he used to play for his college too "Top Catz" and even the Cambridge Lions (now called pythons, apparently)! :laughing: )

Edited by Fianccetto

That's not trolling, it's British pedantry

Yeh don't miss it from the regular pub quiz days

Mr F is a football fan and he says it's either 3 or 4 times, so as 4 is gone, we're going with 3, please, Dogfort. (he used to play for his college too "Top Catz" and even the Cambridge Lions (now called pythons, apparently)! :laughing: )

No unfortunately its not 3 either. Yes they are the Pythons now. Pretty crappy. We are in the conference next to them. The offence I run is quite productive. 40 points a game.