The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

My question is from the Geolympix pub quiz I'm working on: 'Big Geek' features in which 1989 film?
Judging by the results here I think you may have set the bar a little high for your pub quiz!

However underwater - The Abyss?

There will be a spread of questions, for all ages and abilities. In the meantime, let me Ding that for you! :)

There will be a spread of questions, for all ages and abilities. In the meantime, let me Ding that for you! :)

Good luck with the Geolympix and the quiz. Ta for the Ding.

Most people will be familiar with A4 paper and know that A5 is half the size and that A3 is twice the size. These sizes are ultimately derived from the size of a sheet of A0 paper. What is the area of a sheet of A0 paper?

That was (I believe) Peter Duncan
Let me Revenge-DING that for you. A future Bond and a slim Robbie Coltraine* are in it too, film-fact-fans :)

*It's very easy to win bets with this random fact. K-ching.

Thanks Paul - not a film fact fan as such, only went to see the film for the theme music which was by......? Nah, too easy, so.....what was the name of the first dog to appear on Blue Peter?

Pete

This is a real QI special if memory serves me well, and not one that's easily answered. The question is worded so that any animal who appeared in a Blue Peter article prior to 1962 would count. If this is what the question seeks, I have no idea what that dog's name might be.

That said ... Petra was the first 'official' Blue Peter dog, but she only appeared because the first dog (who I suspect wasn't officially named) embarrassingly died after only an episode or two. ISTR the BBC had already asked its audience to name the dog and so they searched for a suitable doppelganger, then who got labelled with the name that the audience chose for the deceased dog - i.e. 'Petra'.

This is a real QI special if memory serves me well, and not one that's easily answered. The question is worded so that any animal who appeared in a Blue Peter article prior to 1962 would count. If this is what the question seeks, I have no idea what that dog's name might be.

That said ... Petra was the first 'official' Blue Peter dog, but she only appeared because the first dog (who I suspect wasn't officially named) embarrassingly died after only an episode or two. ISTR the BBC had already asked its audience to name the dog and so they searched for a suitable doppelganger, then who got labelled with the name that the audience chose for the deceased dog - i.e. 'Petra'.

DING - the answer I was after was indeed that the first BP puppy died before being named and a second puppy, destined to be named Petra, took its place. BBC didn't want to upset the children so didn't let on at the time

Thanks!

Now for something completely different -- science fiction/fantasy:

The 'Vulcan Salute', a hand gesture accompanied by the phrase 'Live long and prosper' often uttered by Vulcans in the 'Star Trek' series, has religious origins -- but from which religion did it come?

Point of order! you asked:

...what was the name of the first dog to appear on Blue Peter?

but then said:

... the first BP puppy died before being named ...

So there is no answer to the question as asked.

Not looking for an independent inquiry by Lord Levinson, just being a pedant :rolleyes:

To get back on topic I'll have a guess at Hinduism.

Edited by MartyBartfast

@MartyBartfast: TBH, I originally wrote something along those lines and even that I'd give way to Fianccetto as the only name the dog could have had (AFAICT) was 'Petra' (the name that viewers chose and Fianccetto's answer) -- even if it was chosen posthumously. However, in the interests of continuity, I elected to just post a question!

BTW -- Sorry, not Hinduism.

The 'Vulcan Hand Thing' is Jewish. They do it with both hands though. I know this because I should get out more :)

If I'm correct, we'll return to the 80s and films with a Queen soundtrack. Apart from Flash Gordon, name another. There probably is only one... :laughing:

Edited for speeling

Edited by Simply Paul

DING to Simply Paul.

As noted, the sign is one half of the gesture for the Hebrew letter 'shin' made when giving a Hebrew blessing that roughly transliterates to 'Live long and prosper'! Allegedly, it wasn't originally in the script, came about because Leonard Nimoy did it ad-lib, and 'stuck'.

The 'Vulcan Hand Thing' is Jewish. They do it with both hands though. I know this because I should get out more :)

If I'm correct, we'll return to the 80s and films with a Queen soundtrack. Apart from Flash Gordon, name another. There probably is only one... :laughing:

Edited for speeling

I have a vision that this might be Highlander

...we'll return to the 80s and films with a Queen soundtrack. Apart from Flash Gordon, name another. There probably is only one... :laughing:
I have a vision that this might be Highlander
I guess there was a clue in my question. Ding! and over to you :)

Thanks - as an erstwhile Queen fan, I didn't need the clue...

Came across this on the web today: In terms of passengers carried, which was the worlds largest International airline in 2011? In case clarification needed, this means counting only international flights.

I suspect that I know this as I flew with this airline to Australia for the birth of my first grand-child and only got back a week ago. The in-flight entertainment proudly claimed Emirates to be the largest carrier in terms of passenger-miles. However, since Air France and KLM are now the same company, I suspect that they might actually be bigger.

I suspect that I know this as I flew with this airline to Australia for the birth of my first grand-child and only got back a week ago. The in-flight entertainment proudly claimed Emirates to be the largest carrier in terms of passenger-miles. However, since Air France and KLM are now the same company, I suspect that they might actually be bigger.

Sorry, no, not Emirates (or combined Air France/KLM). Having just checked my source, Emirates were indeed the largest in terms of passenger-miles flown, but I'm looking simply for passenger numbers. Interestingly, the airline I'm looking for were only 8th in terms of passenger-miles flown...

Sorry, no, not Emirates (or combined Air France/KLM). Having just checked my source, Emirates were indeed the largest in terms of passenger-miles flown, but I'm looking simply for passenger numbers. Interestingly, the airline I'm looking for were only 8th in terms of passenger-miles flown...

That implies short-haul, and to be international it implies European. So I'll guess at one of the budget operators. Heads it's Easyjet; tails it's Ryanair. Quick flip ... tails ... so I'll guess Ryanair!

Congratulations! :D

That implies short-haul, and to be international it implies European. So I'll guess at one of the budget operators. Heads it's Easyjet; tails it's Ryanair. Quick flip ... tails ... so I'll guess Ryanair!

Tails you win! Impeccable logic combined with slice of luck. Easyjet were 3rd.

Congratulations on becoming a grand-parent, and Ding!

Thanks to both Fianccetto and Sharpeset for the congratulations -- although it's my son and his partner who really deserve them!

Continuing in a similar theme, and injecting a little Geocaching into the mix: The placing of hidden containers within the confines of international airports is generally not permitted for security reasons. Yet there is at least one Geocache within the terminal of a major international airport. But which airport? (and a bonus point for the GC number of the cache!)

I'd a feeling it's TB-Hotel Amsterdam Int. Airport (Schiphol) but I see that's been archived a while. Shame, it was on my To-Do list. Then I thought of Airport Berlin Schönefeld - Shortwork but that's gone too. At that point I gave up.

...but then an idea popped into my head and I checked the forums, and then on GC.com and found ORD Layover. Not sure a virtual counts though?

Edited by Simply Paul