The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Lancashire then?

(I think I feel my Yorkshire born grandmother turning in her grave...)

Although I am sure 2 of the towns are Leeds and Bradford, and I think they are in Yorkshire (but maybe the West Riding has changed its boundaries since my family lived there. :unsure: )

Edited by Fianccetto

Whoop whoop.

OK - everybody "knows" cowboy hats are called Stetsons, right?

What are they actually called?

The British design was copied by Mr Stetson, who later lost a court battle over ownership of the design - but by then the damage was done!

as a hint,the hats were originally made in - and named after - a village not 3 miles from where I'm currently sat ....

Ooops! I think the proper answer must in that case be a 'Christy' named after the factory owner (and factory) where it was first made. Before that nasty Mr Stetson come along and 'stole' the design.

If only....

No - they were called Frampton's - but as you've been closest, and this has gone on a while, you can have the ding :)

Wow! I've finally won a prize, Eeeek!

First I shall reveal my sources Frampton Cotterell home of the cowboy hat

Next a nice and easy one although a bit out of season as it is normally connected with the Norwegian Christmas tree in Trafalgar square.

I served on this ship in 1972.

One of its predecessors’ evacuated the King of Norway from Norway to Britain in 1940.

What is the name of the ship?

That's one of those little known London things. Nelson, atop his column faces down The Mall and surveys his fleet of ships each atop a lamp post :)

Ding. For you. I thought that it was going to be a difficult one.

Well I think it was a difficult one and googled it, which ruled me out from answering. A facinating bit of info that I wouldn't otherwise have known, its amazing what you learn on here. I'll have to have a close look at the lamp posts next time I'm down The Mall.

Many London addresses are special, 10 Downing Street, 221B Baker Street......

But what is special about 22-23 Leinster Terrace ?

It's the most pointless place in London to play knock-down-ginger. B)

Surely is - but why? :lol::ph34r:

Are these the famous fake house fronts to hide the railway vent?

OK

The tropics of Capricorn and Cancer are so named because when they were first identified, 2000ish years ago, the sun was entering the constellations of Cancer in the Summer, and Capricorn in the winter.

What would they be known as if they were discovered today?

OK

The tropics of Capricorn and Cancer are so named because when they were first identified, 2000ish years ago, the sun was entering the constellations of Cancer in the Summer, and Capricorn in the winter.

What would they be known as if they were discovered today?

Ah, one of those "I never would have known that" questions. Given that premise however, I'll go for something close and guess at Gemini and Sagittarius.

Taurus in the northern hemisphere (Cancer), Sagittarius in the southern (Capricorn)

The movement is caused by the Earth's axial precession around it's 23.5 degree tilt. It'll be Cancer and Capricorn again in around 24,000 years (the planet takes approx 26,000 years to do a full rotation around the axial tilt). :)

I did check the IAU constellation boundaries in my Tirion Sky Atlas though.

Edited by Betelgeuse

Taurus in the northern hemisphere (Cancer), Sagittarius in the southern (Capricorn)

The movement is caused by the Earth's axial precession around it's 23.5 degree tilt. It'll be Cancer and Capricorn again in around 24,000 years (the planet takes approx 26,000 years to do a full rotation around the axial tilt). :)

I did check the IAU constellation boundaries in my Tirion Sky Atlas though.

Whoops - wrong answer when first posted, and edits don't bump a thread, so missed this post....

DING

Edited by keehotee

Turning from superstition (astrology) to science (astronomy)...

One of the constellations that formed the answer to the last question (Taurus) contains an object called the Crab Nebula. Within this nebula is an object that sparked a nobel prize controversy. What is it?

Is that a pulsar...a single (fastly spinning) dying star that's collapsed on itself with a beam of light appearing to gp on and off... the first query being 'is this evidence of intelligent life' but an irregular pattern would be better to show life...sorry, not sure where the Nobel prize controversy comes in.

Is that a pulsar...a single (fastly spinning) dying star that's collapsed on itself with a beam of light appearing to gp on and off... the first query being 'is this evidence of intelligent life' but an irregular pattern would be better to show life...sorry, not sure where the Nobel prize controversy comes in.

DING!

It was the first pulsar ever discovered, and the credit goes to Jocelyn Bell. A pulsar is a neutron star spinning very rapidly (as the supernova core collapses, the rate of spin increases in the same way that a skater's spin increases as they pull their arms in). It's not a beam of light per se but rather a beam of electromagnetic radiation - it was the radio 'scruff' that was detected although some pulsars have also been seen to blink.

As to the Nobel controversy, from Wiki:

"She did not share in the Nobel Prize, despite the fact that it was she, having helped build[18] the four-acre radio telescope over two years, who initially recorded and then noticed the anomaly, reviewing 96 feet of paper data per night, and, as she confirmed in the Beautiful Minds programme, had to be persistent in recording and reporting it in the face of scorn from Hewish, who was initially insistent the anomaly was due to interference and man-made. She referred in the programme to meetings held by Hewish and Ryle which she should have been invited to, but was not. After Ryle and Hewish had concocted a "little green man" intelligent life theory to explain the initial single pulse, further persistent recording and study of the data on Bell Burnell's own initiative revealed the presence of other similar pulses, finally leading to the explanation of them as pulsars.[19][20][21]"

Several prominent scientists, including Fred Hoyle, expressed their disgust with the decision not to include Jocelyn Bell.

Over to you :)

The prize didn't go to the woman who discovered the pulsar, but to her boss.

DING!

It was the first pulsar ever discovered, and the credit goes to Jocelyn Bell. A pulsar is a neutron star spinning very rapidly (as the supernova core collapses, the rate of spin increases in the same way that a skater's spin increases as they pull their arms in). It's not a beam of light per se but rather a beam of electromagnetic radiation - it was the radio 'scruff' that was detected although some pulsars have also been seen to blink.

As to the Nobel controversy, from Wiki:

"She did not share in the Nobel Prize, despite the fact that it was she, having helped build[18] the four-acre radio telescope over two years, who initially recorded and then noticed the anomaly, reviewing 96 feet of paper data per night, and, as she confirmed in the Beautiful Minds programme, had to be persistent in recording and reporting it in the face of scorn from Hewish, who was initially insistent the anomaly was due to interference and man-made. She referred in the programme to meetings held by Hewish and Ryle which she should have been invited to, but was not. After Ryle and Hewish had concocted a "little green man" intelligent life theory to explain the initial single pulse, further persistent recording and study of the data on Bell Burnell's own initiative revealed the presence of other similar pulses, finally leading to the explanation of them as pulsars.[19][20][21]"

Several prominent scientists, including Fred Hoyle, expressed their disgust with the decision not to include Jocelyn Bell.

Over to you :)

I think the Ding should go to Simply Paul...I got to the general ball park area, but he got the catch and answered your specific question. :)