The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

I'm sure this was on the Horizon programme about black holes that I watched a few weeks ago and then deleted. However I can't remember the answer, other than it wasn't Einstein.

This is going to bug me until someone gets it right...

Who first conceived the principle of relativity?

Not really a good question as which theory are you asking about and it is disputed anyway. Ultimately Einstein based his theory on numerous works and did not reference any of them!

Galileo stated the original theory of relative motion but that is the one everyone knows: the speed between two objects is just the sum of the velocities.

Maxwell used Faraday's experimental results to develop his equations and unfortunately these do not satisfy the Galileon transformations. So the ether was born and questions were asked as to which theory was correct.

Around the same time Lorentz developed his transforms which are what the special theory of relativity relies on.

Michelson (and Morley) then showed the speed of light was constant and disproved the ether model so confirming the Lorentz transforms.

Then Einstein came along and took all the credit. He did develop the general theory pretty much on his own although relied heavily on some mathematics on multi-dimensional topology developed around the same time.

So take your pick: Galileo, Maxwell, Lorentz, Michelson, Einstein or a combination of the above,

Helen

Which was why the question was carefully worded and avoided the word 'theory' - but a good response and you get the DING! ;)

Galileo Galilei was the answer I was looking for, he was the first recorded person to conceive the principle of relativity.

Sorry, I tend to get pedantic when a physics question appears ;) I am sure the principle was known before Galileo (although there were so many competing ideas I am not sure who by specifically) but I agree he is the first to have published the work and formulated the mathematics.

OK, a music question...

Which album has spent the longest continuous period in the American Billboard Top 200 Album Chart?

Helen

Which was why the question was carefully worded and avoided the word 'theory' - but a good response and you get the DING! ;)

Galileo Galilei was the answer I was looking for, he was the first recorded person to conceive the principle of relativity.

Sorry, I tend to get pedantic when a physics question appears ;) I am sure the principle was known before Galileo (although there were so many competing ideas I am not sure who by specifically) but I agree he is the first to have published the work and formulated the mathematics.

OK, a music question...

Which album has spent the longest continuous period in the American Billboard Top 200 Album Chart?

Helen

My first guess would be something like Thriller

Dark side of the Moon, I believe.

That's a DING for Keehotee. I thought it may have lasted a bit longer than that but at least it led to multiple answers.

Thriller is the biggest selling album of all time but Dark Side of the Moon spent 736 weeks in the Billboard Top 200 from 1973 to 1988! Second place is Bob Marley and the Wailers' Legend which charted for about half that time.

Helen

Woohoo.

OK, which actor played the most characters in the Star Wars series?

Temuera Derek Morrison (played clone troopers)?

Ding! :)

Do I get to ask a question now?

If so:

What is the TV detective Columbo's first name?

(Bonus ding if you also know why it was the subject of a $300 million lawsuit).

As the wife is a keen Columbo fan she has informed me that it is Frank Columbo

Ding!

Although it was never mentioned out loud in the shows, it was visible on his ID.

A clue for the bonus is that there is some similarity with the inventor of the brassiere.

OK I am going to give the answer to the bonus question because I don't want to hold up the quiz and DrDick&Vick did answer the main question.

The shorter version is that this question appeared in Trivial Pursuit, but the given answer was "Philip". The reason they got it wrong was that they copied many questions from a book called “The Trivia Encyclopedia”. The author had deliberately included one question with a made-up answer (copying an old map-maker's trick) so that if anyone copied his work, he had proof and could sue for copyright infringement. That question was Columbo's first name and the fact that they had the same answer was given as evidence of copying.

Unfortunately for him, it did not prove that any other questions had been copied and so he lost the lawsuit.

(I mentioned the inventor of the brassiere as that is another question which Trivial Pursuit has the wrong answer for).

Yes it is. It started in 1909 after 'our very bad showing' in the 1908 games' Marathon, which set the distance at 26 miles 385 yards, thanks to its course from Windsor Castle to White City Stadium, where it ended in front of the Royal Box. Before this Marathons were any long run around 25 miles/40Km. The 1908 distance was adopted as the international standard for marathons in 1924, although the older Boston Marathon (est. 1897) continued to be various lengths. Over the years the London (area) Marathon I'm looking for moved around a bit and in its last few decades changed organisation and skipped years as it fell out of favour.

Edited from Wikipedia: "From 1993 to 1995 [ian Ridpath] was Race Director of the _______ Marathon from Windsor to Chiswick, Britain’s oldest marathon race which traced its origins back to the 1908 Olympic Marathon. In that role, he was involved in a public controversy over the ownership of the Sporting Life marathon trophy, originally awarded to winners of the ________ Marathon, which was claimed in 1994 by the London Marathon. The ________ Marathon was last held in 1996."

Just fill in those blanks, without using the Internet to research the answer. The answer's a cracker! :)

Yes it is. It started in 1909 after 'our very bad showing' in the 1908 games' Marathon, which set the distance at 26 miles 385 yards, thanks to its course from Windsor Castle to White City Stadium, where it ended in front of the Royal Box. Before this Marathons were any long run around 25 miles/40Km. The 1908 distance was adopted as the international standard for marathons in 1924, although the older Boston Marathon (est. 1897) continued to be various lengths. Over the years the London (area) Marathon I'm looking for moved around a bit and in its last few decades changed organisation and skipped years as it fell out of favour.

Edited from Wikipedia: "From 1993 to 1995 [ian Ridpath] was Race Director of the _______ Marathon from Windsor to Chiswick, Britain’s oldest marathon race which traced its origins back to the 1908 Olympic Marathon. In that role, he was involved in a public controversy over the ownership of the Sporting Life marathon trophy, originally awarded to winners of the ________ Marathon, which was claimed in 1994 by the London Marathon. The ________ Marathon was last held in 1996."

Just fill in those blanks, without using the Internet to research the answer. The answer's a cracker! :)

After talking to someone last night, i think i have it, it's the Poly Marathon or Polytechnic Marathon

Thanks for the ding, paulemma. :)

OK, here is the question. (since our kid was playing in a commemorative tourney yesterday and unexpectedly won.)

In 1908, February 15th, sporting history was made in Cheltenham. The first international match was played between the Northern Union (England) and the All Golds (New Zealand) what type of sport was being played? (You need 2 words for the ding).

Hopefully that won't be too difficult, even though it might not be a widely known fact.

Edited by Fianccetto