The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Was it Patrick Troughton?

I'll guess at 1967

That'll do. Patrick Troughton was the Doctor's second incarnation and played him from 1966 to 1969.

DING to JoLuc :)

Or to give the (a?) correct answer, Peter Cushing in 1965 and 1966. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Who_and_the_Daleks and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daleks%27_Invasion_Earth:_2150_A.D. - you didn't say 'on TV' Pharisee... Ah well. Play on! (Edited to add links) Edited by Simply Paul

Was it Patrick Troughton?

I'll guess at 1967

That'll do. Patrick Troughton was the Doctor's second incarnation and played him from 1966 to 1969.

DING to JoLuc :)

Or to give the (a?) correct answer, Peter Cushing in 1965 and 1966. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Who_and_the_Daleks and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daleks%27_Invasion_Earth:_2150_A.D. - you didn't say 'on TV' Pharisee... Ah well. Play on! (Edited to add links)

I disagree. Pharisee is correct. Peter Cushing was one of the actors who played the first doctor (i.e. before the first regeneration). Also, Peter Cushing was not the second actor to play the doctor. That honour goes to Edmund Warwick, who stood in for William Hartnell for one episode in Dec 1964. See Wikipedia link

Edited by Pajaholic

Many thanks, although I'm not sure it's really deserved as I thought he was murdered rather than sentenced to death! OK, on to the next question:

What do the River Tyne, River Avon, and the Sahara Desert have in common?

I know the River Avon means the River River.....

I'm pretty sure I've heard that the River Tyne means River River......

So I'm guessing that Sahara Desert means Desert Desert? (or Sahara Sahara!)

DING!

That was quick! The names are all tautologies (i.e. both parts mean the same thing).

Over to The Patrician...

I have to be quick when I find one where I know the answer! I haven't had a clue on some of the latest ones on here.

With which other country did Tanganyika merge to form present day Tanzania in 1964?

Hallowe'en ???

Another complete guess based on the charms being to ward off evil spirits, the fact Hallowe'en is mostly an American thing and a lot of Americans think they're Irish

That is a ding for Hallowe'en as the correct answer, although I would have accepted 'all soul's', 'harvest' or 'Samhain' as alternatives, for obvious reasons. Also, in some parts of the North it was known as Nut Crack Night because of another tradition of throwing nuts on the fire for fortune-telling/seeing in the future.

(I have a new cook book full of all kinds of wonderful information.)

I digress....Over to you MTH!

Edited by Fianccetto

Good guess as you probably would get it in Somalia, but it's not the answer I'm looking for.

In which case I'll guess Somalia's neighbour with the largest common border: i.e. Ethiopia. I have no idea what injera looks like or what grain it's made from. Ethiopia isn't renowned for wheat, rye, or other usual bread grains and it's naturally too dry for rice, so my best guess is that it's some grass I've never heard of!

In which case I'll guess Somalia's neighbour with the largest common border: i.e. Ethiopia.

DING

Injera is made from the indiginous grain called tef which only grows in the highlands of Ethiopia. If you ever get the chance to eat injera then I have one piece of advice... don't!!! Thankfully I've managed to erase the taste & texture from my memory, but something akin to fermented rubber springs(!) to mind.

Edited by MTH

Thanks.

... something akin to fermented rubber springs(!) to mind.

Sounds delightful! That said, some of our own foods would be questionable to other races (laverbread and tripe for example).

On a related note: For what ceremonial purpose are calabar beans used in parts of Africa?

They're used as a method of proving that someone has told the truth. They eat the beans and if they survive then they're exonerated. Apparently, the trick is to get them down as whole as possible - even then you're going to be very ill.

Close enough for the DING!

They are used for trial by ordeal, often for those accused of witchcraft. The accused must eat the beans and is deemed guilty if they die or become very ill. The trick (according to QI) is to swallow them quickly and hope that you immediately vomit them back up.

Over to Betelgeuse ...