The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

I'll go with water dispersant, dilution 40?

You can have the ding....close enough.

"Water Displacement - 40th attempt" is the official version.

WD-40 stands for "Water Displacement – 40th Attempt". Larsen was attempting to create a formula to prevent corrosion in nuclear missiles, by displacing the standing water that causes it. He claims he arrived at a successful formula on his 40th attempt.

Thanks Dave.

Ok, please tell me the name of the only man from outside the United Kingdom to be the manager at Manchester United, and his nationality and in which decade was he manager?

Being an avid Manchester United fan this one is easy for me.. 1971–1972 Frank O'Farrell from the Republic of Ireland.

Not enough digits on my calculator !! :)

I used Windows calculator in scientific mode, there are enough on that!

Have I just blown my chance of a 'ding' by revealing that I didn't work it out in my head?

Well that's an interesting one. I didn't post, because I had used the calc on my PC, but a quick check of the original rules, actually say "Rule 1 - No googling!"

so technically it doesn't appear to be forbidden, but I think it's the question poser who will probably have the final say! :)

OK I'll give this one a go.

How much does looking for small plastic containers cost the average cacher in one year?

Great idea for a question, but you kind of have to be the first person to get he previous question right (and be awarded a ding by the question poser) to get the chance to set the next question...

Keep watching the thread and I'm sure you'll be up in no time.

OK I'll give this one a go.

How much does looking for small plastic containers cost the average cacher in one year?

Great idea for a question, but you kind of have to be the first person to get he previous question right (and be awarded a ding by the question poser) to get the chance to set the next question...

Keep watching the thread and I'm sure you'll be up in no time.

That's fine, but since there appears to be a bit of cheating going on (reading in between the lines of your words) I just thought I'd get in while there was an opportunity.

It's only a silly game after all. And cachers are used to that shirley.

NEXT! :)

"Rule 1 - No googling!"

so technically it doesn't appear to be forbidden, but I think it's the question poser who will probably have the final say! :)

That's what I thought!

Yes, no googling doesn't mean no calculators, does it! And we couldn't possibly have a rule that said, no using your PCs ... otherwise we'd never be able to reply to each other! :laughing:

When I saw Pharisee's original answer (now edited out) I had a pretty good idea what the answer must be. I merely confirmed it with the calculator.

Personally I can hardly stand the suspense. When's Natty coming back?

My bad... I should have said no calculators!

Sorry I've not been on sooner...

11 x 11 = 121

111 x 111 = 12321

etc..

Yes... what the heck... DING!!!!!

"Rule 1 - No googling!"

That's what I thought!

Yes, no googling doesn't mean no calculators, does it! And we couldn't possibly have a rule that said, no using your PCs ... otherwise we'd never be able to reply to each other! :laughing:

I dunno... I very rarely use a PC these days!

So the Bronte sisters : Emily, Charlotte & Anne, but what was their brother's name?

I'm going for Bramwell

Good choice,

DING

:D well, as the other word I had on the brain was "Branston", I think it was possibly the only name I could have admitted without looking silly :D .

Anyway, my question is:

What's the highest possible score for one hand in cribbage?

Thanks!

One of our favourite table game is Chickenfoot dominoes. Although you can play this with a 'standard' (i.e. double-six) set, it's normally played with a larger set. We have both double-twelve and double-fifteen sets, although playing Chickenfoot with a double-fifteen set requires a large table. Double-eighteen sets are also available, but you'd probably need to play that on the floor!

So to the question: How many tiles are there in a double-twelve and also in a double-fifteen domino set?

Thanks!

One of our favourite table game is Chickenfoot dominoes. Although you can play this with a 'standard' (i.e. double-six) set, it's normally played with a larger set. We have both double-twelve and double-fifteen sets, although playing Chickenfoot with a double-fifteen set requires a large table. Double-eighteen sets are also available, but you'd probably need to play that on the floor!

So to the question: How many tiles are there in a double-twelve and also in a double-fifteen domino set?

91... and... 136?

Chickenfoot Dominoes? That's a strange merch deal for a rock band!

Time out.

A new rule: If a Dingee fails to ask a question one week after bing Dinged, anyone can step in with a fresh question.

A reminder of the other rules: Questions should be Pub-Quiz level and Internet searches aren't allowed to find the answer... unless things drag-on and the Questioner ok's Googling (or similar). It's also fine to ask friends or family - so long as they don't look up the answer online either - and books are alright to check. The various QI ones seem a good bet ;)

Game on!

On the basis of the new rule, I can step in with another question. But first, another for the OP (i.e. Simply Paul): Are electronic resources OK provided they're not on the Internet? For example, would using a calculator or spreadsheet to answer my previous question be permitted?

So, WRT the new question: The author Edgar Rice Burroughs, who created Tarzan, also created another series that started in the USA but was mainly set in Barsoom. My question is simply, "Where is Barsoom?"

Edited by Pajaholic

On the basis of the new rule, I can step in with another question. But first, another for the OP (i.e. Simply Paul): Are electronic resources OK provided they're not on the Internet? For example, would using a calculator or spreadsheet to answer my previous question be permitted?

So, WRT the new question: The author Edgar Rice Burroughs, who created Tarzan, also created another series that started in the USA but was mainly set in Barsoom. My question is simply, "Where is Barsoom?"

Mars!