The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Mather Point is situated at the Grand Canyon! One of my fav places which ive had the pleasure to visit :)

Im baaaccckkk.....its been a good few months few ups n downs but im back on the geocaching drug :) Helllooo alll

I can Ding! that for you. Welcome back and Helloooo too! Over to you for a fresh quiz question :anibad: Edited by Simply Paul

I misread the question as I thought you wanted the only four states, not just any four and was very confused when I remembered Arizona. My apologies as there was nothing wrong with the question.

On to the next question.

You'll have heard about the Aurora visible from northern parts of the UK in the last few nights and may even have been fortunate enough to witness the event. This year should be very good for Aurora with the sun approaching a solar maximum, but this particular event has been caused by a CME. I just want to know what those letters stand for, but for extra credit you can explain what it actually means.

Mark

Coronal Mass Ejection.

This occurs when a magnetic loop of force projecting from the Sun's surface breaks. The open end effectively forces a massive amount of high velocity charged particles from the corona out and into the solar system. When the ejected mass hits the Earth's magnetic field, it is direct to the poles and ionises gases high in the atmosphere producing the aurora borealis and aurora australis.

Trying to remember what I was told at the Aurora Sky Station in Abisko, Sweden last month :D Unfortunately we didn't see the aurora, although the camera did pick up a very faint glow on a 30s exposure.

Pretty sure the green was Nitrogen, so perhaps the red is Oxygen

Trying to remember what I was told at the Aurora Sky Station in Abisko, Sweden last month :D Unfortunately we didn't see the aurora, although the camera did pick up a very faint glow on a 30s exposure.

Pretty sure the green was Nitrogen, so perhaps the red is Oxygen

DING!

The red colour is produced by atomic oxygen at higher levels in the atmosphere. The green colour is oxygen as well but this time it's molecular and at a lower level - this is the predominant colour in an aurora. Nitrogen produces the more rarely seen blue and purple colour :)

We get superb displays here when the activity is high but annoyingly, the current event has coincided with mainly overcast conditions. I'm hoping that tonight will be clearer.

Anyway, over to you...

I'm going to give it to the Patrician for getting Lost Horizon.

The author was James Hilton.

Ta! That's the bloke, I was thinking of Conan Doyle, Kipling, Rider Haggard, et al but I knew it wasn't any of them, especially Al before anyone else gets in with the joke.

Which novel, published in 1949 and originally to be called 'The Last Man in Europe' has the opening line: 'It was bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen'?

I'm going to give it to the Patrician for getting Lost Horizon.

The author was James Hilton.

Ta! That's the bloke, I was thinking of Conan Doyle, Kipling, Rider Haggard, et al but I knew it wasn't any of them, especially Al before anyone else gets in with the joke.

Which novel, published in 1949 and originally to be called 'The Last Man in Europe' has the opening line: 'It was bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen'?

I have a funny feeling about this, that it was an English/UK invention originally...Something along the lines of the other plastic bricks available now and LEGO copied it, made some minor changes and patented it with their exact measurements. (I also have a nagging doubt it is German or Swedish for some reason..., but I'll go with British.) As for when...I'll go with 1948.

I have a funny feeling about this, that it was an English/UK invention originally...Something along the lines of the other plastic bricks available now and LEGO copied it, made some minor changes and patented it with their exact measurements. (I also have a nagging doubt it is German or Swedish for some reason..., but I'll go with British.) As for when...I'll go with 1948.

Ding for the country - and it doesn't seem fair to let somebody else get the overall ding for the year.

Kiddicraft patented a building block toy in 1939 in the U.K. They later developed a self-locking building block and LEGO acquired the design rights in 1949. It didn't get renamed to "LEGO" until 1953.

Over to you, Fiancetto.....

Edited by keehotee

Ding for the country - and it doesn't seem fair to let somebody else get the overall ding for the year.

Kiddicraft patented a building block toy in 1939 in the U.K. They later developed a self-locking building block and LEGO acquired the design rights in 1949. It didn't get renamed to "LEGO" until 1953.

Over to you, Fiancetto.....

Hmmm I disagree with your year.. "At last one I know thanks to James May. Lego as we know it was 1st produced in 1949, but the company that makes it started making wooden toys 1932 and changed its name to Lego in 1934 (cant remember what it was called before)."

Lego was named in 1943, Lego brick was patented 28 January 1958.

Well, I'm all confuzzled now! :laughing:

My question, as I've been a busy bee & have today got a new part time job (and probably another one as well tomorrow...) is this (one for the oldies):

"Sixteen Tons" is a song about the life of a coal miner, first recorded in 1946 by American country singer Merle Travis. on 17th October, 1955 a version of the song was released in the UK (but not in USA) and by 15th December that year 2 million copies were sold. Who sang this version for the UK?

Hopefully there can't be more than one answer!

Edited by Fianccetto