The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Scotland Yard? (As was...before the 'New Scotland Yard'.)

Quite the opposite!!!

Newgate Prison

Ding!

Demolishing a prison to build a court always seemed a little strange to me!

Another prison in London, was a "hotel" for early travellers to Australia :blink: The demolition of the place started in 1892... On the site now stands the Tate Britain and the Chelsea College of Art and Design. The bricks from the prison were used to build a housing estate there too. Name the prison.

Marshalsea?

Ding!

Dickens' father was imprisoned in Marshalsea for a debt to a baker. His book 'Little Dorrit' was based around Marshalsea.

Over to you :)

As for The Clink... possibly the oldest prison in the land (1150ish) yeah... it was it's name!

Maybe moving of the prison theme...

Charles Dickens had two middle names... what were they?

Edited by NattyBooshka

Marshalsea?

Ding!

Dickens' father was imprisoned in Marshalsea for a debt to a baker. His book 'Little Dorrit' was based around Marshalsea.

As for The Clink... possibly the oldest prison in the land (1150ish) yeah... it was it's name!

John Huffam

Marshalsea?

Ding!

John Huffam

DING!

Over to the man with the hat.

OK...

It's the second half of the 19th century, the British Raj is in full swing. In Nepal, the Colonel's daughter is days away from her 21st birthday. She asks the young officer she's in love with for a very special present. He gets it for her but it costs him his life.

What, exactly, was the present and who was the young officer ?

Either you googled like me....or I'm a heathen!! ;)

or mabe I'm older than you?

I didn't google, and I've got a vague memory of someone on a comedy program on the telly or radio doing it as a monologue, but I can't remember who it was.

Edit to add: I've just googled it and it seems I'm not quite right on the chaps name though.

Edited by MartyBartfast

OK...

It's the second half of the 19th century, the British Raj is in full swing. In Nepal, the Colonel's daughter is days away from her 21st birthday. She asks the young officer she's in love with for a very special present. He gets it for her but it costs him his life.

The one green eye of a yellow god... Assuming a statue, an emerald?

Mad Caru?

Seem to remember Harry H Corbett delivering the monologue about this... Could be wrong, the port is open :)

Edited by NattyBooshka

OK...

Mad Caru?

Seem to remember Harry H Corbett delivering the monologue about this... Could be wrong, the port is open :)

That'll do.... DING!

OK...

Mad Caru?

That'll do.... DING!

The person who wrote the above referenced monologue, J Milton Hayes was imprisoned with author Alec Waugh in 1918 in a city significant to the published word. Where were they held?

Pure guess that the reference to the published word is to Johann Gutenberg, who IIRC lived and/or worked in Mainz (sp?). IIRC from a Stephen Fry documentary (in which they made a Gutenberg press), Mainz has a Gutenberg museum. So I'll expand on that to guess that they were both prisoners of war in that city?

Pure guess that the reference to the published word is to Johann Gutenberg, who IIRC lived and/or worked in Mainz (sp?). IIRC from a Stephen Fry documentary (in which they made a Gutenberg press), Mainz has a Gutenberg museum. So I'll expand on that to guess that they were both prisoners of war in that city?

DING! Gutenberg was born and died in Mainz, and the two were indeed prisoners of war together there. Perfect answer.

On a side note, I lived and worked in Mainz at one stage too.

Edited by NattyBooshka
DING! Gutenberg was born and died in Mainz, and the two were indeed prisoners of war together there.

Thanks. Next question:

The names of some artists' paints include the word "Hue" (sometimes in parentheses). Examples are "Vermilion Hue", "Cobalt Blue Hue", and "Cadmium Yellow Hue". In these paints, what does the word "hue" signify?

DING! Cadmium, although nasty, is by no means the worst!

"Hue" signifies that the pigment is a (usually non-toxic) substitute for the original pigment from which the paint takes its name. For example, Vermilion is another name for ground cinnabar, which is another name for mercuric sulphide (HgS), which is extremely toxic; while Vermilion Hue contains a non-toxic, synthetic pigment.

Over to you...

Well I know that it is Slipknot, as my son is a fan. Glad you didn't want to know what the dramatic change was as that I couldn't tell you, but, would prob make a guess along the lines of the second one being totally opposite their usual all out metal style......

DING!

The songs in general are a bit of a shift from their usual stuff with softer vocals... part two departs further by going acoustic. Anyone listening to these songs and the more recent "Snuff" and thinking they're good songs would be well advised to avoid buying any of their albums without listening to a couple of other tracks!!

Yes, I have heard a few songs emanating from my sons room which are less than favourable to my hearing (btw, I am a rock fan, but.....)

Question:

What are the names of the 2 pubs with the shortest and the longest names in the UK?

"The Land of Liberty, Peace and Plenty" in Heronsgate might be an outside contender for the longest but no idea about the shortest.

The Old Thirteenth Cheshire Astley Volunteer Rifleman Corps Inn

Blimey... that's a mouthful... Wonder what the locals call it? Bet they don't say "See you later, dear. Just popping down The Old Thirteenth Cheshire Astley Volunteer Rifleman Corps Inn".

They must drink in Q then!

Next to Stalybridge is Mottram-In-Longdendale... One time home of LS Lowry, he has a statue, and a Geocache there. He died less than a mile from where i am now. What did his initials stand for?

Ding for the correct answer to the last part answered of this three part question.

Continuing the theme... Russell Tovey has appeared in a number of programmes for the BBC including two episodes of Doctor Who. I will tell you that one was the 2007 Christmas special "Voyage of the Damned" but I want you to to tell me:

The name of the character he played?

What was the other Doctor Who episode he appeared in as the same character?

And who did the Doctor try to pair him off with in that other episode?

Remember (unless things have changed in the last year) no googling for the answer,

Helen

Edited by Dobunnis

Ding for the correct answer to the last part answered of this three part question.

Continuing the theme... Russell Tovey has appeared in a number of programmes for the BBC including two episodes of Doctor Who. I will tell you that one was the 2007 Christmas special "Voyage of the Damned" but I want you to to tell me:

The name of the character he played?

What was the other Doctor Who episode he appeared in as the same character?

And who did the Doctor try to pair him off with in that other episode?

Remember (unless things have changed in the last year) no googling for the answer,

Helen

I haven't a clue... but as a recurring character I'd guess at the Master... who I loved as a kid. Episode name impossible I guess... pairing off... hmmm... Kylie?

Not watched the reboot... not watched since McCoy TBH.