The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Wow... I remember my physics teacher arguing that as bulbs tend to blow when being turned on, it was cost effective to leave a bulb on. Showing my age then as electricity has gone up a hell of a lot, and bulbs have probably become cheaper!

I need a stiff drink!

Edited by NattyBooshka

Wow... I remember my physics teacher arguing that as bulbs tend to blow when being turned on, it was cost effective to leave a bulb on. Showing my age then as electricity has gone up a hell of a lot, and bulbs have probably become cheaper!

I need a stiff drink!

They've also become much lower wattage, the energy saver ones anyway. What are they now 11-14 Watts? An 11 Watt bulb would cost about £13.50 to run all year.

I'm off to the pub now for a stiff drink, so maybe see you all tomorrow!

Ding! Yeah, sure is. I do like that as a first line of a book.

Being a teacher, I also like the first line from Matilda:

"It’s a funny thing about mothers and fathers. Even when their own child is the most disgusting little blister you could ever imagine, they still think that he or she is wonderful."

I like The Dawn Treader opening as well. As a young reader I found it very encouraging that the new character is introduced so cleverly and the action starts so quickly. As a parent it amazed me how vividly I could remember how I pictured it as a child.

I gained a whole new appreciation of Roald Dahl when I was teaching! His humour seemed so wicked, but it is anything but. :D

According to Roald Dahl, all the great classic chocolates were invented (Aero, Maltesers, Quality Street assortments, Whole Nut bars, Tiffin, Mars Bar, Black Magic Assortment, Caramello, Kit kat, Rolo, Smarties, Crunchie) in which decade?

According to Roald Dahl, all the great classic chocolates were invented (Aero, Maltesers, Quality Street assortments, Whole Nut bars, Tiffin, Mars Bar, Black Magic Assortment, Caramello, Kit kat, Rolo, Smarties, Crunchie) in which decade?

1950s?

Edit - the more I think about it that's probably a daft answer, but I'll let someone else have a go now!

Edited by The Patrician

"He was the first, and so far the only, British illusionist to go out live on coast-to-coast American TV in his special" is the claim from his web page... calling it HIS show is a bit questionable as he shared the billing on the show, and it was the other billed act that were bigger in the states at the time... nonetheless he does hold this accolade.

Who is he?

Edited by NattyBooshka

Being a Part-time Magican made this one easy enough for me.... Simon Drake :)

PS If I am wrong I will have to hide and hang my head in shame?

DING Simon Drake is correct. Just about the only British magician on telly apart from Paul Daniels back then. The show in question was Bruce Dickinson's last gig for Iron Maiden in 1993... Though he rejoined the band a few years later.

Edited by NattyBooshka