The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Natty, yer too blerdy good at this

DING !

Hinduism can't be classified as a religion as its too diverse and holds no 'rules' regarding heresy, its described as a 'faith', has the worlds largest membership of any faith related group, and includes Jain- where the earliest recorded Swastica symbol came from.

Natty, yer too blerdy good at this

DING !

Hinduism can't be classified as a religion as its too diverse and holds no 'rules' regarding heresy, its described as a 'faith', has the worlds largest membership of any faith related group, and includes Jain- where the earliest recorded Swastica symbol came from.

Well... I didn't know that about Hinduism!

Hmmm... Ok...

For those of us in the Uk, Kinder Scout is significant for us all to be able to enjoy this hobby/sport. 80 years ago next year, the mass trespass on kinder scout gave us, eventually, the right to roam and other such accesses that our forefathers didn't have.

The question? What date in 1932 did the trespass take place?

Oh... And as it's 80 years next... Anyone up for an event on Kinder in the anniversary?

Edited by NattyBooshka

The folk song "Manchester Rambler" is based on the mass trespass, so thinking it might hold a clue I grabbed my old song book:

I once met a maid, A spot welder by trade,

She was fair as the Rowan in bloom,

And the bloom of her eye matched the blue moorland sky,

I wooed her from April to June.

On the day that we should have been married,

I went for a ramble instead,

For sooner than part from the mountains,

I think I would rather be dead

Lore has it that the singer met his love at the mass trespass. If so, it was in April 1932 and probably a weekend. A quick dig of my desktop calendar Shows that the 16th was a Saturday and as that date popped into my head before I did the research, I'll guess: Saturday 16th April 1932!

The folk song "Manchester Rambler" is based on the mass trespass, so thinking it might hold a clue I grabbed my old song book:

I once met a maid, A spot welder by trade,

She was fair as the Rowan in bloom,

And the bloom of her eye matched the blue moorland sky,

I wooed her from April to June.

On the day that we should have been married,

I went for a ramble instead,

For sooner than part from the mountains,

I think I would rather be dead

Lore has it that the singer met his love at the mass trespass. If so, it was in April 1932 and probably a weekend. A quick dig of my desktop calendar Shows that the 16th was a Saturday and as that date popped into my head before I did the research, I'll guess: Saturday 16th April 1932!

Close!

DING!

Wanted to give it for your first answer... 8 days out 80 years on is very impressive deduction!

Thanks but it isn't that impressive as I should have known it was a Sunday from the last line of the chorus:

I may be a wage slave on Monday, but I am a free man on Sunday

Anyway, from a real ramble to that of the fictional 'Brother Francis', who is the central character of the novel "A Canticle for Leibowitz" by Walter M Miller Jr. (I do so hope that someone's read this book, which I understand was a 'set book' in some areas for GCSE English Literature during the 1980s and may still be. If not, then I'm in trouble! ...)

The novel is set in the future after a global nuclear war and the following 'simplification' -- during which anyone of learning (or who could even read) was likely to be killed by rampaging mobs. Fairly early in the novel, Brother Francis came upon a fallout shelter in which he discovered a relic attributed to Leibovitz himself. The relic would be an everyday object to most of us, but what was it?

Anyway, from a real ramble to that of the fictional 'Brother Francis', who is the central character of the novel "A Canticle for Leibowitz" by Walter M Miller Jr. (I do so hope that someone's read this book, which I understand was a 'set book' in some areas for GCSE English Literature during the 1980s and may still be. If not, then I'm in trouble! ...)

You're in trouble!

Guess - a book?

didnt read it as part of my GCSE but read the 1st book when my ex GF borrowed it from her dad. As far as I can remember it was memos of cryptic text that were found in the shelter. (memo pad)

It was something far more mundane than that and the answer I'm really looking for is what I suspect most of us would recognise it to be today. However, thanks to the 'Simplification', their academic abilities were so low that the monks took it to be cryptic text. So I'll give it to you if someone doesn't post the actual answer I'm looking for by tomorrow morning.

DING!

Wanted to give it for your first answer... 8 days out 80 years on is very impressive deduction!

Thanks but it isn't that impressive as I should have known it was a Sunday from the last line of the chorus:

I may be a wage slave on Monday, but I am a free man on Sunday

The novel is set in the future after a global nuclear war and the following 'simplification' -- during which anyone of learning (or who could even read) was likely to be killed by rampaging mobs. Fairly early in the novel, Brother Francis came upon a fallout shelter in which he discovered a relic attributed to Leibovitz himself. The relic would be an everyday object to most of us, but what was it?

I've not read the book but I seem to remember a film fairly recently that followed a similar plot. In the film, it was a Bible.

Who played coach Dave Dodds in Mike Bassett: England Manager?

Ricky Tomlinson

Ricky Tomlinson was Mike Bassett. Dave Dodds was played by a guy who I can picture but can't think of his name - he used to do game shows a lot and I think he might have been in Coronation Street.

(This is why I'm better at quizzes where I have a team to help me out, I often have an idea about the answer and useless information, just not the answer itself!)

Edited by Hawkins2

Who played coach Dave Dodds in Mike Bassett: England Manager?

Ricky Tomlinson

Ricky Tomlinson was Mike Bassett. Dave Dodds was played by a guy who I can picture but can't think of his name - he used to do game shows a lot and I think he might have been in Coronation Street.

(This is why I'm better at quizzes where I have a team to help me out, I often have an idea about the answer and useless information, just not the answer itself!)

All 100% correct :)

He used to do a game show... now he does another.

He used to be in Coronation Street... now he's in a different straight role.

Both of the new programs are currently being shown.

Edited by NattyBooshka

FWIW, I'd only seen trailers and ISTR Ricky Tomlinson and Bradley Walsh being in the cast -- although I had no idea of who played who until Hawkins2 posted.

Anyway, a nice, simple one that many should be able to answer:

AFAICT, the price of electricity has recently gone up to 14p per kWh or more for many consumers. So, if the price of electricity is 14p per kWh, how much does it cost to leave a 100W lightbulb switched on for a whole (non-leap) year?

Edited by Pajaholic

FWIW, I'd only seen trailers and ISTR Ricky Tomlinson and Bradley Walsh being in the cast -- although I had no idea of who played who until Hawkins2 posted.

Anyway, a nice, simple one that many should be able to answer:

AFAICT, the price of electricity has recently gone up to 14p per kWh or more for many consumers. So, if the price of electricity is 14p per kWh, how much does it cost to leave a 100W lightbulb switched on for a whole (non-leap) year?

£122.64