The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Whooppp (etc...)

Several years ago I had the pleasure (??) of working on the Worlds most powerful diesel engine for a few months.

Where would you expect to find the current most powerful production diesel engine....and who makes it?

On a big container ship... "Emma" something. It's a Finnish engine by Wartsila.

Around 110k BHP I think

Ding to the feral rodent.......

Ding !! :laughing:

Yeehaw!

Anyway... As I'm a taxi driver, I thought I'd make this one topical...

What famous Doctor is the actor who played the 'reverend' from the TV series 'Taxi' well known for?

Ding-cookies available if you can name the Film in question, and both the Doctor and the Reverends full name. (Ding just for getting the right Doctor though!)

Is it the 'Doc' (Doctor Emmet Brown) in the Back to the Future films? The actor is Christopher Lloyd and also played a Klingon in Star Trek. I used to know the reverend's full name, as I loved Taxi, but have not watched any for so long it has slipped my mind now.

Ding! Correct! Bonus cookies for knowing the Film, the Actor and the Doctors full name. The rev. was Reverend Jim Ignatowski btw. :)

W00t!

Oh now I have to come up with something, lets go for something easy and non-Mensa....

Well I just made this one up on a walk this evening, so not sure how it will work, but here goes.

When on a golf course and you hear the word 'fore' shouted, you know what to do. What word should make you do a similar thing when near the boundary of a cricket pitch?

W00t!

Oh now I have to come up with something, lets go for something easy and non-Mensa....

Well I just made this one up on a walk this evening, so not sure how it will work, but here goes.

When on a golf course and you hear the word 'fore' shouted, you know what to do. What word should make you do a similar thing when near the boundary of a cricket pitch?

We used to shout heads...

Or six!

Would it be Siiiiiixxxxx :P (non cricket fans will not know but to hit a 6 it has to go across the boundry without touching the floor)

:ph34r: Sports Geek much

Yay, DING!

And it was Mr F's question to me as we were walking around along the boundary line with a couple of teens having a practice. And he plays and even enjoys watching cricket! :laughing:

(I suspect The Patrician knew the answer, really. It was tempting to go for a question about football & pies, but maybe next time...)

'Heads Up' and 'Incoming' might work, but it was the cricket watching crowd I was thinking of, and many of the ones I've met would rather risk getting a limb broken getting hit by a fast leg-on (or whatever - put appropriate cricket spin in here) than admit what 'heads up' or 'incoming' meant. :rolleyes:

I suspect that this is one of those with several meanings. But to a field engineer, it's usually found on a used spare part and means "Tested and working OK". I suppose it could also be 'street speak' for TWOC = Taken without consent.

Edited to add: Eek! I'd better learn to type faster!

Edited by Pajaholic

:ph34r: Sports Geek much

We also discovered our local bowls club and were invited in to have a drink. They were being very welcoming and encouraging us to want to join the club. We got into a conversation about weight, 'bias' and how the bowls curve, then I (seriously, without really thinking) asked if you can get left-handed bowls. :laughing: So no, not much of a sports geek, me! :rolleyes:

(I suspect The Patrician knew the answer, really. It was tempting to go for a question about football & pies, but maybe next time...)

No, no, no....

What I know about sport, with the possible exception of bits of motorsport, and the interesting fact that Mick the Miller was a famous greyhound (I remember that from my pub quiz days, if we got a question on greyhound racing our answer was always Mick the Miller) is as close to zero as makes no difference!

Ooh eck! I don't know how old the programme is but Martin Shaw first appeared in 'The Professionals', later in 'Judge John Deed' and 'Inspector George Gently'. Hopefully, it's one of those.

I can only take your first answer.

DING!

The Professionals.

I thought Lewis Collins would have been the give away!

Martin Shaw incidentally was in Coronation Street and Doctor in The house before the professionals. He also appeared in the New Avengers (also by Clemens) with Lewis Collins as a terrorist.

Edited by NattyBooshka

Martin Shaw incidentally was in Coronation Street and Doctor in The house before the professionals. He also appeared in the New Avengers (with Lewis Collins) as a terrorist.

I'm not into soap operas - which is why I wouldn't get up to £1,000 on 'Who wants to be a millionaire'. However, I knew Martin Shaw was in The Professionals after losing an argument that the actor with the curly, dark hair wasn't the same guy who played John Deed :(

BTW, forget pubs, I'm trying to write a CodeIgniter application while also answering pub trivia questions!

Next Q: What is the difference between a ship and a boat to someone in 'the Andrew'?

Martin Shaw incidentally was in Coronation Street and Doctor in The house before the professionals. He also appeared in the New Avengers (with Lewis Collins) as a terrorist.

I'm not into soap operas - which is why I wouldn't get up to £1,000 on 'Who wants to be a millionaire'. However, I knew Martin Shaw was in The Professionals after losing an argument that the actor with the curly, dark hair wasn't the same guy who played John Deed :(

BTW, forget pubs, I'm trying to write a CodeIgniter application while also answering pub trivia questions!

Next Q: What is the difference between a ship and a boat to someone in 'the Andrew'?

A ship is big enough to carry a boat... A boat is small enough to be carried by a ship.

Of course... The Royal Navy refer to some buildings as HMS so I guess it's nothing to do with sailing or size... Something to do with simply being commissioned?

Edited by NattyBooshka