The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

DING! to thehalibutkid :)

I'm astonished that nobody knew as I thought that we had some cyclists among us! Surely a Brit who twice broke one of the most prestigious cycling records (and in the spirit of the great British Shed Culture on a home-made bike at that) must be worth remembering? The person concerned is Graeme Obree and the 2006 film (called - as thehalibutkid correctly guessed - "The Flying Scotsman") is well worth watching IMO.

Graeme Obree called his bicyle "Old Faithful" and it embodied a number of innovations. So, of course, the ICU sought to ban both it and also the riding position that went with it. FWIW, IMO the ICU is probably the greatest negative influence on the development of the modern bicycle -- as they've banned (or tried to ban) just about every major innovation of recent years!

Over to thehalibutkid!

Desperately trying to think of Norse gods...

Loki

Odin - Who has been mentioned before

I know Maxwell had a silver hammer

Freya - I think that was also a German radar of some sort

err.... that's it at the moment. I'll have a think while I'm having my sandwiches.

ISTR something about Loki - the god of mischief - having something to do with it. Also Odin, Freyja, and a few other gods but none of the gods made Thor's hammer. IIRC it was one or more artisans and I vaguely remember that it's a convoluted tale with all sorts of trickery involved - but my knowledge of Norse, Greek and Roman mythology is somewhat rusty!

Alternatively: the Asgard created Thor's hammer to prevent worlds under their protection from being invaded by the Goa'uld. The hammer comprised two parts: a scanner by the stargate would detect a symbiote and transport the host to a chamber from which the only way out was guarded by the second part -- an energy field that would kill the symbiote.

Close enough for a DING!

According to the QI elves, he actually said, "What? Men dodging this way for single bullets? What will you do when they open fire along the whole line? I am ashamed of you. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!" just before an enemy sniper shot him. However, some say he was cut off in the middle of the last sentence, which thus went: "They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."

Over to The Patrician!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and, personally, I think that both the LM002 and the original Hummer H1 are strangely beautiful (even if both are of little more use than a chocolate fireguard!) However, the LM002 was designed as a military vehicle. From what Clarkson once said, they couldn't sell them to the military and so they opened the order books to the general public.

That said, ISTR it wasn't the only 4x4 Lambo, the only off-road Lambo, or the only Lambo designed as a military vehicle since it was preceded by the LM001 and that by an earlier prototype that fitted all three categories and the Gallardo is a 4x4. However, AFAICT it was the only off-road, or military vehicle they actually put into production. IIRC Clarkson said that it cost him more than a week's salary to fill it up when he originally reviewed the LM002 and the tyres cost around four grand a corner. :ph34r:

That said, ISTR it wasn't the only 4x4 Lambo, the only off-road Lambo, or the only Lambo designed as a military vehicle since it was preceded by the LM001 and that by an earlier prototype that fitted all three categories and the Gallardo is a 4x4.

....and not to mention the 4x4 tractors they'd made for years before it, too :)

That said, ISTR it wasn't the only 4x4 Lambo, the only off-road Lambo, or the only Lambo designed as a military vehicle since it was preceded by the LM001 and that by an earlier prototype that fitted all three categories and the Gallardo is a 4x4.

Ah, true - I forgot they started out making tractors. So therefore the LM002 wasn't the only (or even the first) production off-road vehicle that Lamborghini made.

Ah, true - I forgot they started out making tractors. So therefore the LM002 wasn't the only (or even the first) production off-road vehicle that Lamborghini made.

Automobili Lamborghini S.p.A. have never made a tractor. Their founder may have also owned Lamborghini Trattori S.p.A. but to claim that the tractors were made by the car company would be akin to claiming all the FIATs out there are Ferraris.

The LM002 was Automobili Lamborghini's 3rd off road vehicle... after the Cheetah and LM001, but the only one to be produced beyond prototype.

Edited by NattyBooshka

On a freight ship. They're called 'cathedral' engines and IIRC are in-line two-strokes. The cylinders are huge - with a bore about the size of a typical hotel elevator shaft and they're very slow revving. I don't know which manufacturer makes them, but ISTR it's an Italian company.

Whooppp (etc...)

Several years ago I had the pleasure (??) of working on the Worlds most powerful diesel engine for a few months.

Where would you expect to find the current most powerful production diesel engine....and who makes it?

On a big container ship... "Emma" something. It's a Finnish engine by Wartsila.

Around 110k BHP I think

Edited by NattyBooshka

On a freight ship. They're called 'cathedral' engines and IIRC are in-line two-strokes. The cylinders are huge - with a bore about the size of a typical hotel elevator shaft and they're very slow revving. I don't know which manufacturer makes them, but ISTR it's an Italian company.

Most (if not all) really big diesel engines are 'two-strokes'. The in-line versions having ports in the bottom of the cylinders that are uncovered by the piston at B.D.C. and fed by a turbocharger, with valves in the cylinder head for the exhaust. The inlet timing is symmetrical so the exhaust valve timing can be changed by moving the camshaft and the engine will run in the opposite direction... Great if you want your boat to go backwards!!

The Deltic engine used briefly by British Rail on some of their earlier diesel locomotives was also a (sort of) twostoke but to describe it's mode of operation here would probably be so far off topic, I'd get banned by the Moderator!

Anyway.... I have no idea who makes the biggest or where it is used but a ship of some sort is probably a good bet.

Edited by Pharisee