The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Didnt twig until Fianccetto said... And I did the cache. :anicute:

http://coord.info/GCG6X9 Four County Bounty (cache now archived)

http://coord.info/GC1BCFQ The Four Shire Stone.

The Four Shire Stone is an 18th century monument that marked the meeting of the four counties of Oxfordshire, Gloucestershire, Warwickshire and Worcestershire.

Although the isolated island of Worcestershire has been swallowed up in Gloucestershire, its still possible to step into the other three counties.

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Is it where several county boundaries meet - Cambridgeshire, Northamptonshire, Lincolnshire, Rutland (at a guess) and is between the signs for these and so doesn't appear to be in any particular county?

That's near enough, MrsF. As far as I've been able to tell, with much peering at maps, it seems to be the only place in GB where four counties meet at one point.

That's why I asked whether anyone could find another similar spot because I'd be QIinged if anyone finds another one.

It doesn't seem to have a cache on it either as yet... Quick, somebody! Rush out and mark this oddity!

Over to you...

http://coord.info/GCG6X9 Four County Bounty (cache now archived)

http://coord.info/GC1BCFQ The Four Shire Stone.

The Four Shire Stone is an 18th century monument that marked the meeting of the four counties of Oxfordshire, Gloucestershire, Warwickshire and Worcestershire.

Although the isolated island of Worcestershire has been swallowed up in Gloucestershire, its still possible to step into the other three counties.

That's a good one. I didn't notice that one, cos I've got Swindon town stuck in the corner of Wiltshire and so it's not immediately obvious on the map I was browsing.

I was looking around the other day, trying to find 5 counties meeting, to answer Coldgears question about 5 or more (US) counties meeting.

I grew up in Northants and don't remember a 4 county meeting spot...So i did a bit more digging and found this:

mistaken claims of an extant one are sometimes made about a place near Stamford where Rutland, Lincolnshire, Cambridgeshire and Northamptonshire seem to meet at a point. (52°38′25″N 0°29′40″W) However, the location actually consists of two tripoints around 66 ft (20 metres) apart.

"An early instance of four political divisions meeting at a point is in England (attested in the Domesday Book, 1086,[6][7] and mentioned since 969 if not 772[8]); it combined until 1931 the English shires/counties of Gloucester, Oxford, Warwick and Worcester. But another ancient four county point between Warwick, Derby, Leicester and Stafford could be slightly older, as it is associated with a Mercian stone in No Man's Heath, Warwickshire."

OK, quick question before Fianccetto gets back all newly coiffed:

Fray Bentos corned beef, steak and kidney pie, meatballs, chilli con carne...

Who/Where/What is/was Fray Bentos?

MrsB

It's a port in Uraguay.

I still have a rather tatty shore pass stuck in the back of my discharge book from Fray Bentos. Apart from corned beef (which we didn't load) they ship coffee, raw copper, and South America's biggest grossing export (which will remain unnamed by me) from there.

MrsB

It's a port in Uraguay.

I still have a rather tatty shore pass stuck in the back of my discharge book from Fray Bentos. Apart from corned beef (which we didn't load) they ship coffee, raw copper, and South America's biggest grossing export (which will remain unnamed by me) from there.

Have a ding for that. :)

More FB corned beef goodness here: here. Got to love corned beef hash...

MrsB

I'm back and almost recovered from the cost of the haircut. :blink:

Hum, is now a good time for my one? ...here's one. Don't think we've asked it here yet...

Which countries have the Union Jack/Union Flag (you know the one) on their national flag and sing 'God Save the Queen' as one of their national anthems. There are 2 countries on 2 non-European continents I'm expecting.

Hum, is now a good time for my one? ...here's one. Don't think we've asked it here yet...

Which countries have the Union Jack/Union Flag (you know the one) on their national flag and sing 'God Save the Queen' as one of their national anthems. There are 2 countries on 2 non-European continents I'm expecting.

<<trying to cover all bases....

Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Bermuda, Tristan Dacouna????

I was gonna say Malta.......im sure there english and live for our queen....other than that im lost but would be interested to see the answer.

Also Mrs B....YOU CANNOT BEAT ABIT OF CORN BEEF HASH.....how do u make yours though, does it have a pastry top or is it just like a gravy soup with potatoes onions carrots and lots and lots of corn beef in it ???

Im hungry now :(

Also Mrs B....YOU CANNOT BEAT ABIT OF CORN BEEF HASH.....how do u make yours though, does it have a pastry top or is it just like a gravy soup with potatoes onions carrots and lots and lots of corn beef in it ???

Pastry?? Gravy ????? You heathen!

Mashed taters, chopped up corned beef, fried onions. (that's a full stop). All mixed together and fried.

Anything else is garnish...... :laughing:

Edited to add - with a fried egg or two on top.

Edited by keehotee

<<trying to cover all bases....

Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Bermuda, Tristan Dacouna????

Well it's a ding for the first two keehotee (Canada and New Zealand). I was surprised when I read this the other day, but it made sense when I thought about it.

(I make a sort of corned beef hash with fried up onion, potato, green beans and other leftover veg like carrots, and a little corned beef thrown in.)

Edited by Fianccetto

MrsB

Fray Bentos and cheap red wine is all they eat in the argentine,

But after a scrap with the English navy they asked for the recipe for chips n gravy!

The answer is already given... It's the capital of Rio Negro, Uruguay.

For the Union Flag:

Hawaii, though that's a state.

Australia/new Zealand

Bermuda

Cayman islands

Falklands

Fiji

Montserrat

Pitcairn islands

St Helena

And... The UK!!!!

And lots more I can't think of!

Anthem...

Uk,

Canada,

New Zealand

Australia...

...stuck now!

Union Jack: none.

Edited by NattyBooshka

For the Union Flag:

Hawaii, though that's a state.

Australia/new Zealand

Bermuda

Cayman islands

Falklands

Fiji

Montserrat

Pitcairn islands

St Helena

And... The UK!!!!

And lots more I can't think of!

Anthem...

Uk,

Canada,

New Zealand

Australia...

...stuck now!

Union Jack: none.

New Zealand and Canada tick the boxes (as non-European) and having both the national anthem and flag. Australia has the flag in the corner of their flag, the anthem is their 'royal' anthem, not their national anthem.

New Zealand and Canada tick the boxes (as non-European) and having both the national anthem and flag.

Am I being dim here, or am I missing something?

Isn't this the Canadian national flag? :-

200px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png

They also use the Canadian Red Ensign... That's on wiki as well. It was ne'er officially adopted, but is flown at some important sites, alongside the usual one and the French tricolour. Some of the provinces use ensign based flags too. I did submit Canada as "anthem" though... And we've had no ding.

Edited by NattyBooshka

New Zealand and Canada tick the boxes (as non-European) and having both the national anthem and flag.

Am I being dim here, or am I missing something?

They also use the Canadian Red Ensign... That's on wiki as well. It was ne'er officially adopted, but is flown at some important sites, alongside the usual one and the French tricolour.

But the Ensign isn't the national flag, that's the maple leaf.

They also use the Canadian Red Ensign... That's on wiki as well. It was ne'er officially adopted, but is flown at some important sites, alongside the usual one and the French tricolour.

But the Ensign isn't the national flag, that's the maple leaf.

Sorry... Gave my answer, and have since been on google for Canadian flags, as you see I gave canada as an answer for anthem.

As I've been looking stuff up, my last post has also been edited!

Edited by NattyBooshka

I gave Keehotee the ding, back in post #6956!

Ack..I should have said 'official' flag, not 'national' flag, I was getting mixed up with anthems. :rolleyes:

Sorry. Um...I'll still go with keehotee ( he/she also got Mrs. b's bonus question) with apologies to everyone else for muddling the question (was asked to book a family stopover at short notice, so got a bit distracted.)

Edited by Fianccetto

I gave Keehotee the ding, back in post #6956!

Ack..I should have said 'official' flag, not 'national' flag, I was getting mixed up with anthems. :rolleyes:

Sorry. Um...I'll still go with keehotee ( he/she also got Mrs. b's bonus question) with apologies to everyone else for muddling the question (was asked to book a family stopover at short notice, so got a bit distracted.)

I'm a question behind anyways... And the wine is good... And the next question should be along soon... And the company's good!

Who's round is it?

Of course...will only have strongbow or woodpecker....cant have white cider or ill be getting the next bus home........seeing double!

Hmmmm... Ok.... Err.... Maybe the law has changed since I turned 18. The 2 "ciders" you mentioned only used to be stocked to work out who was under 18... Adding Black to a drink used to require a sick note. Both? Immediate deportation from Lancashire for sure

White cider?

Come to Glossop, we have a pub that stocks some real ones.

Edited by NattyBooshka