The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Have i hell joined!!! These questions are way above me <_< Id love to be apart of the CachingMensa :) i think we should start a group...secret password and everything... . im so bored right now, i havent cached all weekend because last time i went out in the rain i ended up with tonsilitus :( Im having withdrawals :( Im doing earlys all week at work so ill be on in afternoons to continue this awsome quiz :)

Have i hell joined!!! These questions are way above me <_< Id love to be apart of the CachingMensa :) i think we should start a group...secret password and everything... . im so bored right now, i havent cached all weekend because last time i went out in the rain i ended up with tonsilitus :( Im having withdrawals :( Im doing earlys all week at work so ill be on in afternoons to continue this awsome quiz :)

There was I thinking I was being slow with most of these!

I'm sure if you wrap up warm, with a waterproof and decent boots on, you won't catch tonsillitis every time you go out in the rain! (Nor will you melt, as my grandma would say! :laughing: ) Mind you, I haven't wanted to go out in these downpours either. All this being stuck indoors has got me thinking of setting some caches though. Got to write for permissions now.

A green gelatinous substance known as "calipee" is used to make which favourite amongst gastronomes?

There was me trying to have a day or two off the Pub Quiz.....

Turtle soup.

DING DING!

My little clue to Jady didn't help!

I have to admit that it didn't help me either, but now I see it! Nice one! Doh!

Lord of the Rings: who says "One does not simply walk into Mordor"?

Please get the answer within the hour, in the words of the song, I'm going down the pub.

A green gelatinous substance known as "calipee" is used to make which favourite amongst gastronomes?

There was me trying to have a day or two off the Pub Quiz.....

Turtle soup.

DING DING!

My little clue to Jady didn't help!

I have to admit that it didn't help me either, but now I see it! Nice one! Doh!

Lord of the Rings: who says "One does not simply walk into Mordor"?

Please get the answer within the hour, in the words of the song, I'm going down the pub.

Boromir.

Hurry up Harry!

If one pound of pure lead is divided equally in x parts and each part is formed into a sphere, the shot so formed is known as x-gauge. This is also used to measure the bore of a smooth-bored gun. So a 12-bore shotgun has a barrel bore the same diameter as that of a 12-gauge shot.

I have a friend in the Sealed Knot who tells me that the cost of renewing his blackpowder musket licence is £40 per year, which I understand is the same as for a shotgun licence.

If one pound of pure lead is divided equally in x parts and each part is formed into a sphere, the shot so formed is known as x-gauge. This is also used to measure the bore of a smooth-bored gun. So a 12-bore shotgun has a barrel bore the same diameter as that of a 12-gauge shot.

I have a friend in the Sealed Knot who tells me that the cost of renewing his blackpowder musket licence is £40 per year, which I understand is the same as for a shotgun licence.

ding

Thanks! Next question:

On December 7 1941 the USS Phoenix was moored at Pearl Harbour when the Japanese attacked. She had the distinction of being the only major warship at Pearl Harbour during the attack that sustained neither damage nor casualties, which earned her the nickname of the luckiest ship in the fleet. She was still in service in 1982 when she acquired another distinction. What was that distinction?

Thanks! Next question:

On December 7 1941 the USS Phoenix was moored at Pearl Harbour when the Japanese attacked. She had the distinction of being the only major warship at Pearl Harbour during the attack that sustained neither damage nor casualties, which earned her the nickname of the luckiest ship in the fleet. She was still in service in 1982 when she acquired another distinction. What was that distinction?

She was sunk by a British Submarine, while (supposedly) steaming away from The Falkland Islands during the Falklands War!

Close, but not quite enough.

As you probably know, she was sold to Argentina in 1951, eventually renamed ARA General Belgrano, and was involved in the Falklands 'conflict'. Her track roughly followed the perimeter of the 200-mile exclusion zone in the period leading to her sinking and she was outside that zone. However, the exclusion zone was never for the benefit of the Argentine but a warning for neutral vessels that any unidentified vessel within the zone was likely to be fired upon. The British declaration gave notice that Argentine forces were legitimate targets no matter what their location. In fact, British submarines blockaded most of the Argentine surface fleet in port - well outside the exclusion zone - and AIUI would have fired on any Argentine warship that set sail.

Her sinking is the event that gave rise to the distinction. However, she isn't the only ship to be sunk during armed conflict and she isn't the only ship to have been sunk by a submarine. The distinction is unique (i.e. it is not true for any other ship at any time or place in the World).

Ok,

I think the British sub was nuclear. Is this the only ship sunk by a nuclear sub?

DING!

She is the only ship ever to be sunk in anger by a nuclear-powered submarine during armed conflict. The boat in question was HMS Conqueror and it follows that she's the only nuclear powered submarine ever to sink a ship 'in anger'.

Another marque of the VAG then: Porche?

DING

Porsche indeed... VW was funded by the Nazis but a new factory under engineer Ferdinand Porsche was chosen for the project. Later he set up another car company. Current chairman of the VW group Dr. Ferdinand Karl Piëch is Porsche's grandson.

VW own 55% of Audi, all of Lamborghini, Bentley, Bugatti, and kind for Rolls Royce that was (apart from the name!) Porsche themselves are not part of the group.

Thanks. Until now I had thought that Porsche and VW were part of the same overall group since VW was created to market the car Porsche designed and built to Hitler's specification.

FWIW I worked for BMW when they bought the rights to the Rolls Royce name with respect to motor vehicles and remember having a chuckle when we found out that VW had bought the IP. So although VW could make proper Rolls Royce cars they couldn't call them that and BMW could call anything they made a Rolls Royce just as long as it wasn't a proper roller!

That said, something seemed wrong about Porsche owning exactly 50% of VW. So (after getting the ding) I checked with Volkswagen themselves. Porsche have just over 50% of the voting rights, but that's not the same as ownership. Porsche Automobil Holding SE own 32.2% with Porsche Holding GmbH, Saltzburg owning 1.5%. Whichever way you look at it, that is way short of the 50% Wikipedia etc. suggests and just shows that you can't always trust Wikipedia!

Anyway, next question: What was the name of the first dalmatian recorded as having walked on Chinese soil?

Lucky guess! I thought he was Venetian.

As it's the summer hols:

Where did Billy Butlin set up his first holiday camp in 1936?

Hi de hi.

He was, but he came from a dalmation family. I got the Q from QI, so a bit more research reveals, "He was born in Curzola, Venetian Dalmatia - now Croatia." HTH

To answer your question, ISTR it was Skegness.

Edited by Pajaholic

Thanks. Until now I had thought that Porsche and VW were part of the same overall group since VW was created to market the car Porsche designed and built to Hitler's specification.

FWIW I worked for BMW when they bought the rights to the Rolls Royce name with respect to motor vehicles and remember having a chuckle when we found out that VW had bought the IP. So although VW could make proper Rolls Royce cars they couldn't call them that and BMW could call anything they made a Rolls Royce just as long as it wasn't a proper roller!

That said, something seemed wrong about Porsche owning exactly 50% of VW. So (after getting the ding) I checked with Volkswagen themselves. Porsche have just over 50% of the voting rights, but that's not the same as ownership. Porsche Automobil Holding SE own 32.2% with Porsche Holding GmbH, Saltzburg owning 1.5%. Whichever way you look at it, that is way short of the 50% Wikipedia etc. suggests and just shows that you can't always trust Wikipedia!

Anyway, next question: What was the name of the first dalmatian recorded as having walked on Chinese soil?

Sorry... Data a bit out, but they do hold enough to control the company, can't remember if I was looking at voting or actual shares. Full merger is expected this year, I hope they go for Porsche as the business name, as he's the dude that did the hard work!

The RR issue is why I'd have a Bentley. If I wanted luxury I'd buy maybach... For real "ultimate driving machine" it's hard to beat a 2 ton plus British motor that is perfectly capable on the track.

Edited by NattyBooshka

Natty: No need to apologise. As I wrote, sometimes the source of info on which one relies is wrong - but it's not your fault; it's theirs!

Anyway, next question: Going back to units of measure. The barn and outhouse are scientific units, but of what are they a measure and what order of magnitude are they in relation to more usual SI units of length, area, volume, temperature, mass, density, etc?

Natty: No need to apologise. As I wrote, sometimes the source of info on which one relies is wrong - but it's not your fault; it's theirs!

Anyway, next question: Going back to units of measure. The barn and outhouse are scientific units, but of what are they a measure and what order of magnitude are they in relation to more usual SI units of length, area, volume, temperature, mass, density, etc?

Area... But no clue on the rest... I'm out!

"Broad as a barn door" and "built like a brick outhouse" are my best shots, though "outhouse" is not always the word used. If I had to make a better guess I'd say something to do with particle physics, they're always making up strange units and particles, and indeed charmed, up and down!

I'm out too, I've never heard of them.

Darn it. That's two of the three I felt sure would know the answer who've declared themselves out. BTW, by 'order of magnitude' I'm only expecting an answer in general terms. e.g. is it microscopic, pea-sized, football-sized, as big as a building, city, planet, the solar system, galaxy, the universe, etc.

Darn it. That's two of the three I felt sure would know the answer who've declared themselves out. BTW, by 'order of magnitude' I'm only expecting an answer in general terms. e.g. is it microscopic, pea-sized, football-sized, as big as a building, city, planet, the solar system, galaxy, the universe, etc.

C'mon #3! I'm guessing it's big... Brick outhouses are built quite well?!

I'll have a guess that :

Barn, unit of area, magnitude building size, usage "couldn't hit the side of a barn at that distance"

Outhouse, unit of density, magnitude couple of tonnes/m^3, usage "built like a brick sh outhouse "

edit to add:

Oddly enough I was going to ask a question on a unit of measurement last time round, but changed my mind. In the unlikely event that I get the DING for this I'll use it next time.

edit (again) to add:

Just googled it and I'm waaaaaaay off in the magnitude stakes!

Edited by MartyBartfast

I think I'm going to give it to The Patrician. Even though he hasn't actually said what it's a measure of IMO he's the closest having given the application and order of magnitude! The three people I expected to know the answer have all posted and nobody's spot on. We had a discussion of weird units a few pages back, which was why I thought it would go pretty quickly.

Anyway, the barn and outhouse are units of area that allegedly came about during the experiments that led up to the first atom bombs. They were firing neutrons at various atoms and some said that doing this with a uranium atoms was like shooting at a barn. It stuck. Today, they are often used in particle physics and are accepted for use alongside more-traditional SI units. A barn is 10-28 square metres (about the cross-sectional area of a uranium nucleus). An outhouse is 10-6 barns (i.e. a microbarn).

Over to The Patrician.

Strewth, that's the first time I've ever got a question right without having a bleeding clue what was going on.

Easy peasy question requested.....

Who is the chief baddy in the Harry Potter films?

We have a beer in my local pub that isn't supposed to be there (the pub owner doesn't like the brewer, but the landlord does). We locals get some funny looks from strangers when we ask for a pint of V..... (the beer that cannot be named!) and the bar staff disappear out the back and return with a pint which does not appear on the pumps.