The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

shouldnt u be working :blink: Shouldnt i be working :blink:

Don't swear at me... I'm a student again!

Especially for a Leeds United fan:

Manager of Manchester United from 1945, I used to play for rivals City and Liverpool. I oversaw the development of the group that would become the Busby babes. What was my first name?

Matt busby! (i have nothing against the busby babes just the rest of Man U)

Well... if we were on QI the klaxons and flashing lights would now be on.

Wrong!

I have a sneaking suspicion that this is a trick question and that Busby is the right person. I just mentioned this quiz to a football-mad neighbour who, rather cryptically, retorted that Matt wasn't Busby's first name and that Sir Alex Ferguson isn't the only smart Alex to have managed Manchester United.

From that, I'll guess that Matt Busby's first name was Alexander and that he is the guy in question.

Aww harsh i said matt!! u never specified that u wanted first name :( i feel cheated!

This question is way out of my leauge....I dont get QI so i dont watch it......they say what i think the right answer is and then it BUZZES and flashes at em :( but i thought that was the right answer :unsure:

Err... The end of the question was "what is my first name?"

The klaxons on QI are for obvious common knowledge answers that are actually wrong... For example... Name a berry... Strawberry is a wrong answer. Read the wiki on berry and you'll see that most "berries" aren't berries... But a banana is!

Edited by NattyBooshka

I've been watching this thread for a while waiting for a question I could answer, found that I missed one earlier today that I knew but thought I had this one.

Been racking my brains but have forgotten the exact name, they joked about changing it to something more friendly and I'm sure it was something to do with puppies but I can't remember it exactly. Oh well, thought I'd at least introduce myself to the thread and will keep watching!

I've been watching this thread for a while waiting for a question I could answer, found that I missed one earlier today that I knew but thought I had this one.

Been racking my brains but have forgotten the exact name, they joked about changing it to something more friendly and I'm sure it was something to do with puppies but I can't remember it exactly. Oh well, thought I'd at least introduce myself to the thread and will keep watching!

? ? Of Puppies

Welcome to the thread

Edited by NattyBooshka

OK, OK, enough with the rowdy singing ... I'll give it another go!

Surely there can only be so many 'collective nouns' for puppies. I don't know the band, but hopefully the reason for the threatened name change was for a more friendly, more acceptable image. So, for example, they probably wouldn't have chosen something like, "Abattoir of Puppies". The two most obvious to spring to mind are "Litter of Puppies" and "Kennel of Puppies". So is it either of them?

If not, there can't be too many other things that puppies come in, so it's got to be worth a guess!

A local question for you. What is happening this weekend at Fairford, bringing 1000s of visitors to Gloucestershire?

Air Display

There's been heavy metal zooming over my house for some days now!

Ding! I'm north of Fairford/ Yeovil (where a lot of the aircraft are coming from) but been hearing about it all week on the radio!

Over to you, Havelock, I mean sir.

Ding! I'm north of Fairford/ Yeovil (where a lot of the aircraft are coming from) but been hearing about it all week on the radio!

I'm in Malvern so they're coming from all directions! I must remember to put a long lens on the camera and go and sit on the hills tomorrow to see if anything interesting floats past. I haven't been to Fairford for a long time, the last time we spent so much time driving around in circles that we swore "Never again".

On with the questions.....

Which river separates Buda from Pest?

I'm in Malvern so they're coming from all directions! I must remember to put a long lens on the camera and go and sit on the hills tomorrow to see if anything interesting floats past. I haven't been to Fairford for a long time, the last time we spent so much time driving around in circles that we swore "Never again".

On with the questions.....

Which river separates Buda from Pest?

The Danube?

Edited by NattyBooshka

@MartyBartfast

I see that you too have been Touched by His Noodly Appendage.

Have you seen this?

Yes I saw that in the news, if ever my old pink paper license gives up the ghost and I'm forced to buy a photo license I might try it myself! Anway back to the job in hand :-

What are "The Leonids" and where would you see them?

@MartyBartfast

I see that you too have been Touched by His Noodly Appendage.

Have you seen this?

Yes I saw that in the news, if ever my old pink paper license gives up the ghost and I'm forced to buy a photo license I might try it myself! Anway back to the job in hand :-

What are "The Leonids" and where would you see them?

Meteors. The sky!

Specifically probably the constipation, sorry constellation of Leo.

I'm in Malvern so they're coming from all directions! I must remember to put a long lens on the camera and go and sit on the hills tomorrow to see if anything interesting floats past.

I heard you can get a phone app that sends you a mail telling you what type of aircraft is flying above you (and its flight details)! That could be fun for a few weeks.

Your go. :ph34r: