The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

DING.

Err... Still haven't grown up myself, can be seen sporting MM, NIN and slipknot hoodies on a regular basis... Don't wear Cradle of Filth shirts as often as 10 years ago though. I'm a tad older than 14!

Not sure how many votes Satan got!

Edited by NattyBooshka

I hope u havent been googling NB i will be very dissapointed and i think as the preident of the nattybooshka club u will have to serve a mini punishment!!! forefit if u will :laughing:

I have indeed googled this question to see if what I remembered was right... But I have also not submitted an answer to the question... And I wont! Not even confirmed that I'm right yet!

So you can rest assured that there will be no forfeit Madame President.

I hope u havent been googling NB i will be very dissapointed and i think as the preident of the nattybooshka club u will have to serve a mini punishment!!! forefit if u will :laughing:

I have indeed googled this question to see if what I remembered was right... But I have also not submitted an answer to the question... And I wont! Not even confirmed that I'm right yet!

If you aren't playing this round NB i'll happily tell you the answer I have if you contact me by email.

If you aren't playing this round NB i'll happily tell you the answer I have if you contact me by email.

Yeah... Great question... And maybe I was close, or maybe miles away... Email sent!

Answer for sale :D

lol

The longest sentence with only one word (where a 'word' is defined as a sequence of letters disregarding semantics and capitalization) in the American language concerns buffalo (the animals) of Buffalo (the city) who buffalo (i.e. bully) other buffalo of Buffalo, who are themselves buffaloed by yet more buffalo of Buffalo. This gives us the sentence, "Buffalo buffalo, Buffalo buffalo buffalo, buffalo Buffalo buffalo."

Note the parenthetical brace of commas - the sentence would be two characters shorter (and a couple of technical writers' forums a few threads fewer) without them. Unfortunately, 'buffalo' doesn't mean 'to bully' in English (it only means that in American) and so that's not the correct answer!

The longest similar sentence in (olde) English - but at least from the correct side of the pond - probably concerns the area around two of my caches ('Thanckes for the memories' and 'Thanckes Again'). For info, "Thanckes thanckes" are the oil storage containers at the RN fuel depot at (50.3829, -4.2064). So we might consider some thanckes (pronounced 'tanks' and meaning large storage containers) of Thanckes (the area around my caches) thanckes (i.e. expresses gratitude) to other thanckes of Thanckes, who themselves give thanckes to yet more thanckes of Thanckes. Although that scenario is an anthropomorphism, and so semantically incorrect, it still gives the syntactically correct (and longer than the American bovine-based equivalent), "Thanckes thanckes, Thanckes thanckes thanckes, thanckes Thanckes thanckes!"

Unfortunately, I don't know of a single word that can be semantically a noun, proper noun, and a verb in current English and so can't answer your question!

Edited by Pajaholic

lol

The longest sentence with only one word (where a 'word' is defined as a sequence of letters disregarding semantics and capitalization) in the American language concerns buffalo (the animals) of Buffalo (the city) who buffalo (i.e. bully) other buffalo of Buffalo, who are themselves buffaloed by yet more buffalo of Buffalo. This gives us the sentence, "Buffalo buffalo, Buffalo buffalo buffalo, buffalo Buffalo buffalo."

Note the parenthetical brace of commas - the sentence would be two characters shorter (and a couple of technical writers' forums a few threads fewer) without them. Unfortunately, 'buffalo' doesn't mean 'to bully' in English (it only means that in American) and so that's not the correct answer!

The longest similar sentence in (olde) English - but at least from the correct side of the pond - probably concerns the area around two of my caches ('Thanckes for the memories' and 'Thanckes Again'). For info, "Thanckes thanckes" are the oil storage containers at the RN fuel depot at (50.3829, -4.2064). So we might consider some thanckes (pronounced 'tanks' and meaning large storage containers) of Thanckes (the area around my caches) thanckes (i.e. expresses gratitude) to other thanckes of Thanckes, who themselves give thanckes to yet more thanckes of Thanckes. Although that scenario is an anthropomorphism, and so semantically incorrect, it still gives the syntactically correct (and longer than the American bovine-based equivalent), "Thanckes thanckes, Thanckes thanckes thanckes, thanckes Thanckes thanckes!"

I've no idea of a single word that can be semantically a noun, proper noun, or a verb in current English and so can't answer your question!

Nevertheless your answer is correct. There is no such language as American. However the differences between the language spoken in the UK and the one in the US have lead people to use the term American English to identify the language spoken in the US.

However as you correctly state this is found on the UK message board and should make sense in UK english well there is another word that makes a sentence in UK english with as many words.

lol

I've no idea of a single word that can be semantically a noun, proper noun, or a verb in current English and so can't answer your question!

Nevertheless your answer is correct. There is no such language as American. However the differences between the language spoken in the UK and the one in the US have lead people to use the term American English to identify the language spoken in the US.

However as you correctly state this is found on the UK message board and should make sense in UK english well there is another word that makes a sentence in UK english with as many words.

:D

Police?

Ding.

Sorry Pajaholic I think you talked yourself out of that one.

Wasn't sure it'd work 8 times... But longest word I could think of that worked 3 times!

Question: Bat For Lashes is a solo performer, who's real name I won't mention. Her cousin is considered by many to be the best in the world ever at his sport... Name the cousin.

Edited by NattyBooshka

Police?

Ding.

Wasn't sure it'd work 8 times... But longest word I could think of that worked 3 times!

Question: Bat For Lashes is a solo performer, who's real name I won't mention. Her cousin is considered by many to be the best in the world ever at his sport... Name the uncle.

I'll take a stab at Tiger Woods

Police?

Ding.

Question: Bat For Lashes is a solo performer, who's real name I won't mention. Her cousin is considered by many to be the best in the world ever at his sport... Name the uncle.

I'll take a stab at Tiger Woods

So would his (ex?) wife... But nope! (that's golf out then!)

Edited by NattyBooshka

Sorry!

Saw error in question... Tried to edit... Hit reply instead... Then deleted corrected one! It's getting late!

Here it is properly!

Question: Bat For Lashes is a solo performer, who's real name I won't mention. Her cousin is considered by many to be the best in the world ever at his sport... Name the cousin.

(golfers now ruled out)