The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Seeing as it's Oscars week and I love movies.....

Only three films have even won all top five Oscars - Best Film, Actor, Actress, Director and Writing.

Name one of them?

It Happened one Night, One Flew over the cuckoo's nest, and silence of the lambs.

DING, either you're as big a movie fan as me or you're googling.

Seeing as it's Oscars week and I love movies.....

Only three films have even won all top five Oscars - Best Film, Actor, Actress, Director and Writing.

Name one of them?

It Happened one Night, One Flew over the cuckoo's nest, and silence of the lambs.

DING, either you're as big a movie fan as me or you're googling.

I'm no big movie buff, but I do a lot of Quiz nights for charities. I write them and also am the quizmaster. So that's my knowledge base grounding. Your last Q was a great one, a fav of mine for the movie round as it promotes a hell of a lot of discussion and debate!

Ok, so, next Q. Lets keep to the oscars theme,

How did Marlon Brando's oscar refusal backfire?

Since no one else is chipping in, it was on March the 27th 1973, and he was protesting against the treatment of North American Indians and their depiction by Hollywood and on TV - This much I've found in a book. I think Brando had given an American Indian Rights activist a long speech to deliver, but she was only allowed to speak for a minute so had to improvise..? Does that count as a backfire?

Since no one else is chipping in, it was on March the 27th 1973, and he was protesting against the treatment of North American Indians and their depiction by Hollywood and on TV - This much I've found in a book. I think Brando had given an American Indian Rights activist a long speech to deliver, but she was only allowed to speak for a minute so had to improvise..? Does that count as a backfire?

The American indian girl who delivered the speech was a vampire.

Getting there....

Getting there....

She ended up getting the boos and jeers meant for Brando and thus continued the ill-treatment he was protesting against.

Getting there....

She ended up getting the boos and jeers meant for Brando and thus continued the ill-treatment he was protesting against.

That was the line I was looking for!

Sorry for the late reply peeps, I do apologise. I went away with work and I completely forgot about. Forgive me!!

Well, it's currently the Summer Time Act of 1972, but I imagine you're looking for something older than that? I know it was around at the time of the First World War, but suspect it was Victorian originally..?

I think your onto something with it being around the first world war. 1915? I don't think it was Victorian, but the idea has been around since around the 1700's I think. Wasn't it mooted origionally as an off the cuff kinda suggestion by Benjamin Franklyn?

IIRC it was originally introduced to give farms a longer working day, which makes sense during a war. I doubt it would have been as early as 1914 since they thought the war would be over by Christmas of that year. rob.marsh has already suggested 1915, so I'll guess the next year on - i.e. 1916.

Geoff

IIRC it was originally introduced to give farms a longer working day, which makes sense during a war. I doubt it would have been as early as 1914 since they thought the war would be over by Christmas of that year. rob.marsh has already suggested 1915, so I'll guess the next year on - i.e. 1916.

Geoff

DING for 1916

DING for 1916

That was a lucky guess! and talking of guesses...

I guess that we're all familiar with plastic food containers, but who invented them and in which year?

Geoff

Probably someone called Mr Tupper. Who if I remember correctly was developing food containers for the US army during WW2, but the war ended before his work was finnished, so I will guess at 1946.

I'll give you the DING for that.

However, most references I've found say that you're out by one year and Earl S. Tupper actually invented the plastic food container in 1945. Now for some confusion: a couple of references pre-date that and say he actually invented his plastic food container in 1939! Unravelling the thread, my best guess is that he took out the original patent in 1939, started the Tupperware company in 1945, and registered the Tupperware trademark in 1946 (and made the product available in that year) ... but I could be wrong!

Over to norsch.

Geoff

Q) Which of the following British wacky laws has been repealed:

1. A pregnant woman may legally relieve herself anywhere

2. Cab drivers must ask each and every passenger if they have small pox or 'The Plague'.

3. A man may urinate in public, as long it is on the rear wheel of his motor vehicle and his right hand is on the vehicle.

4. Committing suicide is classified as a capital crime.

Q) Which of the following British wacky laws has been repealed:

1. A pregnant woman may legally relieve herself anywhere

2. Cab drivers must ask each and every passenger if they have small pox or 'The Plague'.

3. A man may urinate in public, as long it is on the rear wheel of his motor vehicle and his right hand is on the vehicle.

4. Committing suicide is classified as a capital crime.

No. 4

DING for Norsch :D

Weirdly, the first 3 are still on the statute books!?! Although that doesn't mean that they'll be enforced/hold up in court :) I just thought it'd be interesting to let people know just how ridiculous our legal system can be!

There are plenty more if anyone's interested.

I'm gonna go with England, as I know Cornwall and the Channel Islands grow a lot of them. I also know that we export them.

Thats a DING, England is by far the worlds largest producer. One farm in Cornwall actually grows 350 million flowers per year.

So over to rob.marsh

Edited by norsch

Not sure why its a guessing game any more than another pub quiz level question where you don't know the answer!? ;-)

Both wrong answers though, but Paul was right in feeling that it was earlier.

I've a feeling it was earlier still - 1902?

wrong again,

didn't realise this would stump people some much!

Not sure why its a guessing game any more than another pub quiz level question where you don't know the answer!? ;-)

wrong again,

stumped because it's before most of our time, though I thought some of the older ones may have remembered. I will take a guess and try 1903

wrong again,

stumped because it's before most of our time, though I thought some of the older ones may have remembered. I will take a guess and try 1903

I'll have to remember then not to go down the historical route for questions in the future, Sorry.

1903 is correct.

OK how is Laurence Tureaud better known?

Sorry to go slightly off topic, but, going away in 2 weeks for a break and was looking (only today) at caches en-route. Came across a puzzle cache worth a possible visit and the above question gives me the answer to 2 of the required 10 digits...... Thanks :laughing::rolleyes:

Edited by Turtlebum