The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

I've a feeling he had a go in 86 (88 was a Summer Olympic year, I think)

IIRC the Summer and Winter Olympics were still in the same year in the 1980s. 1984 seems too far back, and 1992 too far forward (at least with reference to my own memorable events). So I'll guess it wasn't in the Olympics, which suggests the World Games and it had to be before 1988. So, another stab in the gloom: 1987?

I've a feeling he had a go in 86 (88 was a Summer Olympic year, I think)

IIRC the Summer and Winter Olympics were still in the same year in the 1980s. 1984 seems too far back, and 1992 too far forward (at least with reference to my own memorable events). So I'll guess it wasn't in the Olympics, which suggests the World Games and it had to be before 1988. So, another stab in the gloom: 1987?

I'll give you a DING for that as it's close enough. It was, in fact, the World Championships in 1987 where he finished 55th which was high enough for him to qualify for the 1988 Winter Olympics.... The rest, as they say, is history. ;)

Thanks, Pharisee.

I suspect that this one's a bit obscure - so I'll give the ding to whoever comes closest IMO if the answer I have isn't given in a couple of days:

Defining an "aircraft carrier" to be something moving that includes a platform designed and successfully used for fixed-wing aircraft (other than models or UAVs) to land upon, what is/was the World's smallest aircraft carrier?

Lost in Space: AFAICT, that twin-hulled Japanese WWII submarine was meant to launch aircraft on a one-way mission - i.e. no capability to land them.

norsch: You're in pole position so far should nobody give the right answer! (

!)

Geoff

no thats way bigger than the one off "Fall guy"

OK another easy one, what comes next: Talc, Gypsum, Calcite, Flourite,..............?

Apatite, Orthoclase Feldspar, Quartz, Topaz, Corundum, Diamond...

DING

Only easy as I happened to have "Rutleys Elements of Mineralogy" on my desk!

So on the same theme...

Name the only metal ore to begin with the letter Q - though it's probably much better known by an alternative name.

OK another easy one, what comes next: Talc, Gypsum, Calcite, Flourite,..............?

Apatite, Orthoclase Feldspar, Quartz, Topaz, Corundum, Diamond...

DING

Only easy as I happened to have "Rutleys Elements of Mineralogy" on my desk!

So on the same theme...

Name the only metal ore to begin with the letter Q - though it's probably much better known by an alternative name.

Frank Rutley I think only names one, but looking through my books I have found four, although only one is common enough to be mined. So I will go for Quenselite

The only thing about Feb 14 1929 that I can think of is the St Valentines Day massacre, so maybe there is a link there.

Alessandro Capone was director, so all I can come up with is the link between surnames Capone. Alphonse Capone being behind the ST Valentines Massacre

The only thing about Feb 14 1929 that I can think of is the St Valentines Day massacre, so maybe there is a link there.

Ah movies, my favourite although I did have to paf (Smuggle Bug) to confirm. She is, afterall, my partner in all movie making mayhem.

DrDick&Vick are correct about the St valentines Day massacre when Al capone and his men dispatched the lead.

L'Amour Cache is a film by Italian director Al Capone.

Ah movies, my favourite although I did have to paf (Smuggle Bug) to confirm. She is, afterall, my partner in all movie making mayhem.

DrDick&Vick are correct about the St valentines Day massacre when Al capone and his men dispatched the lead.

Oh, beaten by one minute. That'll teach me to be multi tasking (drinking tea and texting).

Oh, beaten by one minute. That'll teach me to be multi tasking (drinking tea and texting).

First time I have played this, I assume I have to wait for the confirmation of my answer in the form of a ding? haha!

I should admit that it was a lucky stumble that got me the answer :-s I have never seen the film!

Ok,

What links East Grinstead, Boxing Day and the Duke of Bohemia (907–935) together?

Good King Wenceslas

This carol was written by John Mason Neale in the town of East Grinstead. The story in the carol is about the King (or Duke) of Bohemia, seeing peasants, on Boxing Day, from his castle and taking food and wood to them.