The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

A "magic lantern". IIRC this comes from Victorian times (or perhaps earlier). It's essentially a rotating cylinder with slits alternating with images on the inside. As you look through the slits, the images appear one after another to give the illusion of movement. Early ones showed horses and circus acts and a more contemporary one is the BBC2 ident.

Edited to add: Darn! pipped at the post!

Edited by Pajaholic

Thanks SP, straight forward question.....what is a zoetrope? :D

I think It's an old fashioned device for making apparently moving images from a series of still pictures by having the pictures inside a revolving drum, and viewing them through slits cut in the drum as it revolves.

Big Ding there.... Sorry for the delay... working away in this weather takes it's toll... :D Cheers MaxKim

A quickie, inspired by todays weather:

When was the last official White Christmas in the UK?

2009?

Not according to the Met Office.

In Leeds it was according to yhrir web site as were several places around the UK.... Which place do you mean... is it London?,,,,, :rolleyes::D:)

I'm sure that's right and forgive me for not being more specific but I was looking just for the coldest weather related outdoor temp.

i'm trying to recall what i read yesterday! is it -28 at Blaerar (or some similar kind of spelling!)

Thanks for the mental jog. There was a news item yesterday wondering whether Braemar would break it's record of -27.something °C that it equalled during a cold snap in the 1980s. However, I suspect it was substantially colder during the Little Ice Age (15th to 17th centuries) and they must have had thermometers to be able to record it at some point during that time!

Geoff

DING to Pajaholic for getting all the info in there. We're not far off beating it though, are we.

I dare say we're not, and the Met Office say we've got another week to ten days of it :P

TBH, I feel that question was a bit of a team effort - coz there's no way I'd have got the temperature to one DP without Pharisee. So hopefully an easy question:

IIRC, Spike Milligan (or was it Peter Sellers?) once uttered the following poem (which is best recited in the style of the Goons):

Once there lived a Cassowary

To the North of Timbuktu

There he ate a missionary

Bible, Prayer book, Hymn book too!

But who or what is a Cassowary?

Recently the world's tallest building was renamed from Burj Dubai to Burj Khalifa in recognition of the fact that Dubai is skint and the sheikh's uncle Khalifa in neighboring Abu Dhabi has had to bail out the prodigal child.

That's in the Eastern hemisphere.

What is the name of the tallest building in the Western hemisphere?

Recently the world's tallest building was renamed from Burj Dubai to Burj Khalifa in recognition of the fact that Dubai is skint and the sheikh's uncle Khalifa in neighboring Abu Dhabi has had to bail out the prodigal child.

That's in the Eastern hemisphere.

What is the name of the tallest building in the Western hemisphere?

I'll go for Willis Tower, previously Seers Tower) in Chicago.

Yup. the Willis Tower.

It's renaming was a very low key affair, mostly to avoid the embrassment of the former owners.

Somehow the name The Willis Tower reminds me of Die Hard !!

Ok next question: In The Lion The Witch and the Wardrobe, what present does Father Christmas give to Mrs Beaver?

during the depression in the 1930's the high sheriff of a county took interest in the plight of in the town of Jarrow with its high unemployment rates encouraging the county in question population provide financial and material assistance. What county was it?

It's the sort of thing the Cornish would do, but the Cornish had their own march which that engraved stone might have commemorated. I refer to the Cornish Rebellion of 1497, when the Cornish marched on London in a war against unjust and illegal (under Stannary Law) taxation that was levied to fund the war against Scotland.

So just in case Pharisee is wrong, my second stab in the dark is Hertfordshire.

OK more seriously I think this is maybe something to do with scrapping ships, possibly the Olympic which was owned by an MP called Jarvis who I thought was from the Newcastle area. Anyway did he buy ships and take them to Jarrow for scrapping to provide employment for the locals?

OK more seriously I think this is maybe something to do with scrapping ships, possibly the Olympic which was owned by an MP called Jarvis who I thought was from the Newcastle area. Anyway did he buy ships and take them to Jarrow for scrapping to provide employment for the locals?

your on the right lines, the olympc was owned by white star, it was the sister ship to the titanic and bits of it can be found in houses and hotels here abouts, Jarvis is the person in question and was responsible for bring the Olympic to jarrow to be broken, this is just one of the things he did in order to create jobs and was mayor of jarrow but prior to being mayor of Jarrow, he was mp for a town located in the county in question and high sheriff of the county

your on the right lines, the olympc was owned by white star, it was the sister ship to the titanic and bits of it can be found in houses and hotels here abouts, Jarvis is the person in question and was responsible for bring the Olympic to jarrow to be broken, this is just one of the things he did in order to create jobs and was mayor of jarrow but prior to being mayor of Jarrow, he was mp for a town located in the county in question and high sheriff of the county

FWIW, I stumbled on the answer earlier today while looking up something about a conspiracy theory (some say it wasn't the Titanic that was actually sunk by an iceberg) when I found some Hansard archives about this guy, who in 1935-38 at least was (as Munkeh wrote) also MP for a town in said county. Since I stumbled upon the answer while using an Internet search, I declare I'm ineligible for the ding. However, I have some links from the Hansard archives that show what a remarkable fellow Jarvis was that I can post after Munkeh's question has been "legally" answered. OT this thread is perhaps, but it just goes to show how you can learn from geocaching - even when off-topic!

Geoff

(edited to remove Freudian typo)

Edited by Pajaholic