The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Maudlin is near Bodmin.

Those of you that know/ know of me have probably realised that I enjoy a movie or two. So....

From 1990 to 1997 every movie that got the Best Picture Oscar also got an Oscar in which other category?

Have a go without Google first. (You wouldn't have Google in the Pub would you!)

Welcome to the Groundspeak Arms, come in, take your coat off - put your feet up! :)

I'm going to ask a question, whoever answers correctly can post the next question and so on...

Rule 1 - No googling!

Rule 2 - Try and keep your question at the level someone in a pub quiz might be able to answer...

Question 1 - What is the heaviest organ in the human body?

Maudlin is near Bodmin.

Those of you that know/ know of me have probably realised that I enjoy a movie or two. So....

From 1990 to 1997 every movie that got the Best Picture Oscar also got an Oscar in which other category?

Have a go without Google first. (You wouldn't have Google in the Pub would you!)

No Googling has always been Rule 1 anyway, in case anybody wasn't aware..... :(:)

I'll guess at Best Director.

Lady Jane Grey?

Pete

Nah! Although she was de-facto monarch for 13 days in 1553 (or less if you consider her reign to start on the date of her proclamation rather than of the death of Edward VI), she was never crowned and wasn't a British monarch since she was only Queen of England. The first British Monarch was James I of England (James VI of Scotland), who united Britain when he became King of England in 1603. So the shortest reigning British monarch must have ruled after that date.

Geoff

DING to Sharpeset

The shortest-reigning British monarch was Lady Jane Grey who ruled for 13 days from July 6, 1553 until July 19 (although she was only proclaimed queen by the Lords of the Council on July 10).

British, English, whatever: happy to accept the Ding....

Which explorer was the frst to sail through the northwest passage, going on to fix the position of the North magnetic Pole?

Which explorer was the frst to sail through the northwest passage, going on to fix the position of the North magnetic Pole?

I suspect you're thinking of Roald Amundsen - who navigated the Northwest passage at the beginning of the twentieth century. At least, he was the guy AFAICT who fixed the position of the North Pole. However, there is evidence that the Vikings navigated the Northwest passage centuries before, so Amundsen almost certainly wasn't the first.

Geoff

I suspect you're thinking of Roald Amundsen - who navigated the Northwest passage at the beginning of the twentieth century. At least, he was the guy AFAICT who fixed the position of the North Pole. However, there is evidence that the Vikings navigated the Northwest passage centuries before, so Amundsen almost certainly wasn't the first.

Geoff

Well Roald Amundsen is the DING according to my Bamber Gascoigne Uni Challenge quiz book, so unless the vikings aregoing to object, over to you...

Pete