The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Erm... okay.

Who is Ogri and when did he make his first public appearance?

Ogri is a cartoon 'biker'... a huge guy who rides a Vincent engined cafe racer. He has a dumb mate, Malcom but when he first appeared.... I think it might have been the first issue of 'Bike' magazine but when...? I'll hazard a guess at 1970.

Erm... okay.

Ogri is a cartoon 'biker'... a huge guy who rides a Vincent engined cafe racer. He has a dumb mate, Malcom but when he first appeared.... I think it might have been the first issue of 'Bike' magazine but when...? I'll hazard a guess at 1970.

Jeez, you're good!

1979 is the exact year and Malcolm is Ogri's cousin, but given the extra detail you've provided you have to get the...

DING!

Erm... okay.

Jeez, you're good!

1979 is the exact year and Malcolm is Ogri's cousin, but given the extra detail you've provided you have to get the...

DING!

OK... here's a topical one as it's just been announced that Alan Turing, the WWII code breaker, has been given an official apology by HM Government. He was 'gay' and committed suicide after being prosecuted for 'gross indecency'.

It's fairly well documented that instrumental in breaking the German naval code was the capture, by British personnel, of an Enigma machine from the German submarine U-110. What was the name of the british naval ship that accomplished this?

Woohoo.

And as they haven't been posted for a while, the rules......

Rule 1 - No googling!

Rule 2 - Try and keep your question at the level someone in a pub quiz might be able to answer...

What have these got in common?

Monty Python - Matching Tie and Handkerchief

M - Pop Muzik

Kate Bush - Sensual World

Are we allowed to consult a houseguest?

I have a guest whose name is Mr Bean, yes really!, and he owns a record label in California. He's told me the connection, technically. Am I allowed to blow the gaff on that basis?

You can, yes. Although I'm not sure why him owning a record label would help. :blink:

Here goes:

We think the link is that all three records were reorded on twin groove vinyl. On the Kate Bush album, for example, if you placed the stylus in one groove you could listen to the normal vocals, the other groove played the instrumental version.

My chum experimented with a few whacky vinyl technologies in the 1970s, including a now defunct method of recording video onto LP's. His idea was to combine video with pop music. It was an idea ahead of its time and the technology wasn't quite up to it. He produced the world's first video for the system which RCA were going to launch as "capacitive electronic disks". He worked with Michael Nesmith (Monkee) and Kevin McCormick (went on the produce Saturday Night Fever) and William Dear who went on to direct Harry & The Hendersons and some other guff that I've never heard of. RCA got cold feet and pulled the plug on the technology, thinking that nobody would ever want to watch a pop video.Heidbanger.gif

Edited by The Forester

One difference that immediately springs to mind may not be the one you're looking for.

Belugas have no dorsal fin. That's one of the reasons why they are so at home in the Arctic under ice.

Orcas regularly come to grief in the Norwegian fjords in winter. The ice there is mostly freshwater ice from waterfall runoff. The Orcas have huge dorsal fins and they rip them to shreds when desperately trying to find a lead or a polynya in the ice. Because that huge dorsal fin sticks up a couple of metres and is some way behind the blowhole they just can't make use of small gaps in the ice to breathe, so they drown. I've seen it for myself. Very distressing to be able t odo nothing to help the poor blighters. I suspect that drowning must be the worst imaginable death for a marine mammal.

Perhaps that's the reason why the Belugas always have that silly grin. They're giggling at the stoopid killer whales!

Edited by The Forester