The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Easy one, 1/8 of a fluid ounce :P Assumimg you are talking about liquids, otherwise 1/16 of an ounce for solids.

It was the solid I was after so that's a good solid ding!

Nice to have some easy ones occasionally on here to try and keep the interest going.

Take it away talkytoaster!

Ok, quick one of the top of my head, no multipart this time:

Who were the two Formula 1 (F1) drivers that died during the very same racing meeting; one during qualifying and one during the race?

Extra kudos for the year and the track (but not required to get a ding).

Senna died in the race and Ratz--something (ratzenburger?) was killed in practice at Imola, I think. Can't remember the year but hazard a guess at '92

Edited by Pharisee

Who were the two Formula 1 (F1) drivers that died during the very same racing meeting; one during qualifying and one during the race?

Senna died in the race and Ratz--something (ratzenburger?) was killed in practice at Imola, I think. Can't remember the year but hazard a guess at '92

Close enough: 33 year old Roland Ratzenberger was killed during qualifying for the San Marino Grand Prix at the Imola circuit on Saturday 30 April 1994 and Ayrton Senna died the next day during the race. They are the last two F1 drivers to die whilst racing/qualifying.

DING!

Edited by talkytoaster

Close enough: 33 year old Roland Ratzenberger was killed during qualifying for the San Marino Grand Prix at the Imola circuit on Saturday 30 April 1994 and Ayrton Senna died the next day during the race. They are the last two F1 drivers to die whilst racing/qualifying.

DING!

OK... A simple question requiring a (relatively) simple answer... What are Buckyballs?

The third allotrope of carbon after diamond and graphite. Whereas in graphite the molecules are arranged in a planar configuration, in bucky balls they are arranged in a "ball" shape in a similar configuration to a geo-desic done.

dam*it, I knew this one! I'll just add that the full name is Buckminster Fullerene and, unlike Graphite and Diamond, there is a discrete number of carbon atoms to a Buckyball (I believe it is is 60). They have some rather unusual properties, one of my favourites being the ability to trap another element inside the ball. I wonder if it rattles!

The third allotrope of carbon after diamond and graphite. Whereas in graphite the molecules are arranged in a planar configuration, in bucky balls they are arranged in a "ball" shape in a similar configuration to a geo-desic done.

That would be a ... DING for Mr. Rutson

Since he jumped in for my question (I was on a ferry in the north sea at the time) I'll jump in for his...

Brb with a good question (I knew the answer to several of the intervening ones. I even asked who Bucky Balls were named after on here, I think.)

Edit. Ok, I don't think this has been asked this before: Which is the smallest current county* (Not unitary blah blah) in England by area (possible trick question!)

*I wouldn't say the county of Manchester, but I would say the county of Yorkshire, for example.

Edited by Simply Paul

Since he jumped in for my question (I was on a ferry in the north sea at the time) I'll jump in for his...

Brb with a good question (I knew the answer to several of the intervening ones. I even asked who Bucky Balls were named after on here, I think.)

Edit. Ok, I don't think this has been asked this before: Which is the smallest current county* (Not unitary blah blah) in England by area (possible trick question!)

*I wouldn't say the county of Manchester, but I would say the county of Yorkshire, for example.

The Isle of Wight at high tide, Rutland at low tide.

Too easy. Jim Lovell, Jack Swaggart and Fred Haise (possible dodgy spelling) - Jim wrote the book the film is based on, Jack moved into politics but died of cancer and Fred worked on the Shuttle, I think they said at the end of Apollo 13; an excellent movie :(

I always thought it was Jack Swaggert until I came to check before asking this, and it seems it's actually spelled Swigert. Anyway I'm not going to penalise you for the spelling so

DING.

Too hard? Ok, how many Apollo moon landings actually happened (Apollo 13 didn't work out as planned, remember), how many Saturn Vs were launched (Apollo 1-3, 5 and 7 being unlaunched tests or launched by the smaller Saturn IB), in what year was the last Saturn V launched (it was after the final Apollo 17 moon landing in 1972) and why was it unusual (a hint in the last question!) - Should all be easy now :anicute:

No one? Ok, let's just make it the first two easy-peasy questions. :(

The last Saturn V launched was in 1973, after the Apollo programme had ended. It was the only non-Apollo launch, a two-stage version (as opposed to the usual three stage) used to get the Skylab space station into orbit.

No one? Ok, let's just make it the first two easy-peasy questions. :unsure:

The last Saturn V launched was in 1973, after the Apollo programme had ended. It was the only non-Apollo launch, a two-stage version (as opposed to the usual three stage) used to get the Skylab space station into orbit.

hmm I think there were 4 moon landings, and since there were 17 + 1 -5 Saturn V launches (judging from your information) I'll go for unlucky 13!!

neither ! they weren't giants and they weren't trying to destroy Cybertron, they were just leader of the Decepticons.

Blast, my memory isn't what it used to be.

I remember, albeit vaguely, that Devastator was a giant robot, Unicron was a planet of giants and I think an amalgam of other transformers (probably what Keehotee's son is referring to), there was a squid of some sort, and Weird Al sang Dare To Be Stupid. Am I wrong or was there something called The Matrix in there as well?

It's odd but the one firm memory from that film was Weird Al.

Edited by FourQ

neither ! they weren't giants and they weren't trying to destroy Cybertron, they were just leader of the Decepticons.

Blast, my memory isn't what it used to be.

I remember, albeit vaguely, that Devastator was a giant robot, Unicron was a planet of giants and I think an amalgam of other transformers (probably what Keehotee's son is referring to), there was a squid of some sort, and Weird Al sang Dare To Be Stupid. Am I wrong or was there something called The Matrix in there as well?

It's odd but the one firm memory from that film was Weird Al.

Ooo you just mentioned it (though misidentified what it was) - take a punt - which one?

Unicron? :lol:

DING-A-LING!

Unicron was the uber large robot come to destroy Cybertron who transcormed into a planet and ends up being blown up at the end of the film by the Matrix, which is some sort of Transformer life force.

Unicron was this one by the way!

Resized_412x442_unicron1.JPG

Devastator was a large robot formed when the constructicons merged to form a larger robot.

I remember seeing the film on my 10th Birthday :D