The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Well it doesn't seem like anyone is as sad as me - I'll give the ding to Talkytoaster and offer up the principle name - Scheimpflug...

Oops, didn't see the ding, sorry......

OK, a real quick one off the top of my head:

Who wrote the book "Good Omens"?

oooh, i know this! Neil Gaiman (pardon the spelling!)

Dave

oooh, i know this! Neil Gaiman (pardon the spelling!)

Not quite right, I'll give you half a ding for that, it was a trick question as there was more than one author...

hmmm - i'm racking my brains now... Did the excellent Mr Pratchett contribute as well?

You are correct, both Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman are listed as the authors, Terry wrote about 65 percent of it the rest was down to Neil. It was originally published in 1990.

Unfortunately there will be no repeat of this partnership as Terry has made it clear that he won't do it again.

DING!

good job I've been thinking up a question!

OK, where was the UK's (in fact, i think the world's) first cash machine/ATM, and who was the first person to use it?

Hmmmmm I remember something about this.

The very first cash machine was installed in a London bank (Barclays springs to mind as I'm sure it was mentioned in one of their adverts at some point). As to who used it first, apart from the installer to test it ;-) Probably someone famous or a director of the bank itself?

Edited by talkytoaster

OK, where was the UK's (in fact, i think the world's) first cash machine/ATM, and who was the first person to use it?

The very first cash machine was installed in a London bank (Barclays springs to mind as I'm sure it was mentioned in one of their adverts at some point). As to who used it first, apart from the installer to test it ;-) Probably someone famous or a director of the bank itself?

on the right track - I know I didn't specify, but I'd like a little more detail rather than London... town is sufficient, not lat/long!

and yes, its someone famous, not the bank director, manager, or someone like that.

PS - yes, it was Barclays, but I decided not to ask that bit!

on the right track - I know I didn't specify, but I'd like a little more detail rather than London... town is sufficient, not lat/long!

and yes, its someone famous, not the bank director, manager, or someone like that.

PS - yes, it was Barclays, but I decided not to ask that bit!

Reg Varney was the famous person, but i don't know where in london

As I was working at an engineering company in the area at the time I know it was Enfield.

well that gets the ding, as Enfield was the place I was looking for. however, Highly honorable mention to mcaughtr for getting Reg varney, which is the more interesting fact!

A short snippet from a website, if anyone is interested...

"The world's first cash machine was introduced in the UK and installed in Enfield, north London on 27 June, 1967 by Barclays Bank and opened by Reg Varney of 'On the Buses' fame. The early machines had limited functions, dispensing fixed amounts of cash in exchange for tokens. In the early 1970s, magnetic stripe technology enabled plastic cards to be used to withdraw cash."

Over to DD&V!

OK following on from Reg Varney's mention in the previous question,

Which actress played Reg Varney's character's Mum in the original series of On The Buses?

Rather like Alan Davies on QI, I'll go for the obvious answer which is bound to be wrong and say...... Doris Hare

Sorry guys, I forgot I answered the question.

As we are on television programmes. Here's one that may cause some disagreement

Who invented the television set?

The principle? Or first working model?

Nipkow if it's the principle. Not sure who's recognised as being first with a working model - there were so many of them......

Sorry guys, I forgot I answered the question.

As we are on television programmes. Here's one that may cause some disagreement

Who invented the television set?

The principle? Or first working model?

Nipkow if it's the principle. Not sure who's recognised as being first with a working model - there were so many of them......

I was always led to believe it was John Logie Baird in 1926. But, as keehotee said this is an area of hot debate.

Sorry all - bit behind, and can't think of a question - but these have just popped up in another quiz - all from Futurama...

1. What is the name of Dr. Farnsworth's invention he introduces at the start of "Anthology of Interest I"?

2. What mail-order degrees does Dr. Zoidberg have?

3. How can Fry and Leela win back Bender's soul from the robot devil?

I've all four series (a new 26 episode package has been ordered by Fox!) but I'm doing this off the top of my head:

1. What is the name of Dr. Farnsworth's invention he introduces at the start of "Anthology of Interest I"?

The What-If Machine?

Not sure on this one... Humanology?

A good song on this episode. Isn't it as simple as besting the Robot Devil in a musical duel?

I've all four series (a new 26 episode package has been ordered by Fox!) but I'm doing this off the top of my head:

The What-If Machine?

Not sure on this one... Humanology?

A good song on this episode. Isn't it as simple as besting the Robot Devil in a musical duel?

1.no. even more practical than that.

2.hmmm.... no!

3. You can have this one - it was a fiddle contest - so practically there....

Quick Bump

Are we going to get a decision

OK--- to keep things moving, the answers were

The Fin-longer (of course)

Murderology and Murderonomy

By winning a fiddle contest

As SP was the only person to get one right, he can have the ding.....

OK let's get it moving:

What is DTMF and what does it stand for?

(In the event of any answer other than the one I mean, I'm thinking of the application which most of utilise daily)

Easy one... Dual Tone Multi Frequency. The tones a telephone generates when a number is dialed opposed to pulse dialing (as in the round dials in earlier days). I know DTMF as the tones I use on my handheld radio to send commands to amateur radio repeaters.

Is it castle Donnington? Don't know the event but i guess it's some sort of motor racing - I think they do bikes there. My guess is the British Grand prix as that's the the sport that seems up in the air atm.

Correct. Next year's F1 Grand prix is scheduled for Donnington.

Ding to you.

I only ever seem to get these right when I'm busy working. Perhaps if I answered more of these questions I'd earn more money! :P

OK. A dram is what fraction of an ounce?

Easy one, 1/8 of a fluid ounce :P Assumimg you are talking about liquids, otherwise 1/16 of an ounce for solids.

Edited by talkytoaster