The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

I'll have another go......21,134

Very close but not quite there

Right........back to the drawing board......, well, the excel sheet I'm using to write it out on :D

I've been back to the drawing board and still get 21,134. :D

How I worked it out is thus:-

I have written down 1 to 99, then 100, 101 to 199, then 200, and so on.........then all the amounts of letters.

I still get 21,134. :ph34r:

I have googled the answer and found the answer as 21,124......ten short of my workings out ;):(

Anyway, I never was any good at maths :o

I have written down 1 to 99, then 100, 101 to 199, then 200, and so on.........then all the amounts of letters.

I still get 21,134. :D

I have googled the answer and found the answer as 21,124......ten short of my workings out :ph34r:;)

:D

I think you should get a gold star for tenacity, if nothing else. goldstar.gif

MrsB :(

Does it depend on whether the answer is american or English? Don't the wrong side of the pond use 'One Hundred one' rather than 'One hundred and one' ? They seem to do for years - it's currently two thousand nine according to Jon Stewart. But that would account for a LOT more than 10 out.

I'd say give DAZ the ding, or can I guess at 21135 :o

I still get 21,134. :D

I have googled the answer and found the answer as 21,124......ten short of my workings out :ph34r:;)

:D

I think you should get a gold star for tenacity, if nothing else. goldstar.gif

MrsB :(

DING to Gaz. The answer is 21124. Send a PM if you are interested in an explanation. I'll PM Gaz but not tonight as I'm just off to the Pub to do a real Pub Quiz. Ta ra.

Ok......my first go at posing a question......bear with me......

Three students are passing a scond-hand shop and see a tv for £30. They look at each other and think:- £30 divided by 3 is £10 each, so they go and buy it. As they leave with the tv, the manager realises he didn't offer them their student discount of £5. As he is shouting them back, he realises that £5 divided by 3 doesn'n go well, so he gives them back £3, and keeps the £2 for himself. That means each student has paid £9 each, which is £27..........plus the £2 he kept.......is £29.

My question is.........what happened to the other pound? :o

Three students are passing a scond-hand shop and see a tv for £30. They look at each other and think:- £30 divided by 3 is £10 each, so they go and buy it. As they leave with the tv, the manager realises he didn't offer them their student discount of £5. As he is shouting them back, he realises that £5 divided by 3 doesn'n go well, so he gives them back £3, and keeps the £2 for himself. That means each student has paid £9 each, which is £27..........plus the £2 he kept.......is £29.

My question is.........what happened to the other pound? :unsure:

Sure I've seen this before and its to do with confusing the maths somewhat. I can't remember the exact details but I'll have a go - I know its along the same lines as 'proving' you have 11 fingers - Count 1,2,3,4,5 on one hand, then 10, 9, 8, 7, 6 on the other. 5+6=11. QED. :(

The calculation about is 30-5 = 25

the owner keeps 2, 25+2 = 27

He gives the spongers 3 back, which equals 30.

My question is.........what happened to the other pound? :(

Sure I've seen this before and its to do with confusing the maths somewhat. I can't remember the exact details but I'll have a go - I know its along the same lines as 'proving' you have 11 fingers - Count 1,2,3,4,5 on one hand, then 10, 9, 8, 7, 6 on the other. 5+6=11. QED. :D

The calculation about is 30-5 = 25

the owner keeps 2, 25+2 = 27

He gives the spongers 3 back, which equals 30.

I'll award the DING to Guanajuato........as that's about right, though the real answer is " it has never gone anywhere" :unsure:

I'll award the DING to Guanajuato........as that's about right, though the real answer is " it has never gone anywhere" :rolleyes:

I KNEW I'd missed something! ;)

But that means I've got to set a question now.

Then again, reading back I think Lost in Space got it first :blink:

Bordering on tenuous...

Who / What Links Miss Juliana Willoughby with Everest?

If someone can provide evidence of a link other than the one I have in mind, then I'm happy to award the ding on that basis too. But I would seriously doubt there's another link! B)

Bordering on tenuous...

Who / What Links Miss Juliana Willoughby with Everest?

If someone can provide evidence of a link other than the one I have in mind, then I'm happy to award the ding on that basis too. But I would seriously doubt there's another link! :rolleyes:

Was she the founder of the double-glazing company?

Yay! Or should that be Ding.

Kendal Mintcake was famously eaten on Mt Everest.

George Romney's made that (claim to be the original, but I personally prefer Quiggins) No affiliation to either, and thought I ought to ensure balance.

The company is named after George Romney, one of Kendal's Famous Son's, who painted a portrait of Miss Juliana Willoughby, which is in the National Gallery of Art, Washington DC.

I said it was tenuous! :rolleyes:

Over to you, Marty.

where would you find, among others,

Aldous Huxley

Tommy Handley

Johny Weissmuller

T. E. Lawrence

Shirley Temple

And Dianna Dors

And Albert Einstein

J P G & R and a big drum ;-) SPLHCB

DING

for those not in the know it's the cover picture on the Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band album. If it dragged on long enough I was going to throw in John, Paul, George & Ringo as the giveaway hint.

That would be the dreadful Swissair MD-11 crash.

The crew wrongly reacted to mutiple circuitbreaker poppings and a smell of smoke by resetting the 'breakers, thus re-energising the seat of the fire. Also controversially, instead of landing immediately, they continued and commenced an absurdly lengthy 15-minute checklist procedure. All perished long before the checklist was completed.

I remember that I was hosting Team Maddie in my house in Edinburgh at the time. They had recently returned from honeymoon in the Maritimes and had visited Peggy's Cove and had some photographs of the place in happier times.

I think it was 1997 and I recall that the Festival was on, so that would make it late August.

That would be the dreadful Swissair MD-11 crash.

The crew wrongly reacted to mutiple circuitbreaker poppings and a smell of smoke by resetting the 'breakers, thus re-energising the seat of the fire. Also controversially, instead of landing immediately, they continued and commenced an absurdly lengthy 15-minute checklist procedure. All perished long before the checklist was completed.

I remember that I was hosting Team Maddie in my house in Edinburgh at the time. They had recently returned from honeymoon in the Maritimes and had visited Peggy's Cove and had some photographs of the place in happier times.

I think it was 1997 and I recall that the Festival was on, so that would make it late August.

Half a ding to you... the incident is correct, the date is not.