The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Belfast? I'd argue that one. Depends on your definition of Capital Cities I suppose.

Next Question:

Which pop/rock band is most associated with roundels??

Could be The Who. Or The Jam.

I had one on the back of a rather natty fishtail parka back in the day......... gave the rockers something to aim at

Ahh.... those were the days. Black leather, Castrol 'R', old brit iron that leaked oil everywhere and chucking scooters over the sea wall at Southend :laughing:;)

Could be The Who. Or The Jam.

I had one on the back of a rather natty fishtail parka back in the day......... gave the rockers something to aim at

Close enough.

I'd say The Who. The Jam were just a Who tribute band :laughing:

The Who were definitely the ones. Here's a bit of trivial associated with the use of the 'RAF' roundel in the UK.

In the 1990s the Royal Air Force decided that it needed a more 'public' identity, after years of HM Forces low profile due to Northern Ireland and a steadily progressing cut back in the Service as a result of the 'Peace Dividend' after the end of the Cold War.

When the lawyers looked into it it was decided that as the RAF had not taken a Trademark or Copyright on the roundel in the 1960's when bands such as The Who used it in Pop Culture, the RAF could no longer claim it to by 'their symbol'. Thus whenever you now see the RAF Roundel used to advertise or publicize the Royal Air Force, it is including text, like this, which is legally protected.

logoRAF.gif

Matthew, Mark, Luke, John and Ringo? :unsure:

close :)

"...the faces of a Platonic solid are congruent regular polygons, with the same number of faces meeting at each vertex. They have the unique property that the faces, edges and angles of each solid are all congruent.

By that definition I would therefore guess

Tetrahedron, cube & dodecahedron. Can't remember any other names for solid shapes at the moment, but perhaps a sphere creeps in by some tortuous abstraction of the definition although it doesn't seem to fit the description above.

Matthew, Mark, Luke, John and Ringo? :unsure:

close :)

"...the faces of a Platonic solid are congruent regular polygons, with the same number of faces meeting at each vertex. They have the unique property that the faces, edges and angles of each solid are all congruent.

By that definition I would therefore guess

Tetrahedron, cube & dodecahedron. Can't remember any other names for solid shapes at the moment, but perhaps a sphere creeps in by some tortuous abstraction of the definition although it doesn't seem to fit the description above.

A pyramid on a triangular base (as opposed to a square base like the ones at Giza) ?

Oh! It's me :-)

22/7 is a pretty poor approximation of pi.

What fraction is the best approximation of pi with less than five digit numerator and denominators?

As you've specifically asked for LESS that 5 digits, I'll go for 2196/699, which gives 3.1416 (correct to 4dp)

if 5 digits are allowed, 22010/7006 which is accurate to 8dp

Nope, you can do better than 4dp with less than five digits.

355/113 = 3.14159292035398 (accurate to 6 dp, I think...)

Not used any clever maths to work it out - just Brute Force Excel!

X/Y = PI, so for each value of X I made Y = X/PI to the nearest integer. Then SQRT((Pi - X/Y)^2) in another column.

Then just did a great big copy down and found the smallest difference. Just didn't do a big enough copy before!

I'm sure someone will drop by with some clever & elegant mathematical proof.

I've just done a search (AFTER this) and someone else comes up with the same answer with 30 hours processing time. :D

Edited by Guanajuato

Thank you. Another question on one of my favourite topics then...

From where do the following teams CURRENTLY hale, and what two towns/cities are missing from the final list? (First one with a complete list gets the ding.)

Cherry and whites

Quins

Tigers

Irish

Wasps

Falcons

Saints

Sharks

Sarries

Warriors

A few to be going on with ...

Quins - London

Tigers - Leicester

Irish - Reading

Falcons - Newcastle

Sharks - Sale

Pete

Edited by Sharpeset

Hmmm, seems nobody's bothered with this one so I hereby assign the Ding to sharpeset.

Oops - just spotted I've been awarded the Ding by default. Only looked 'cos I was going to add Northampton as the home of the Saints. Better think of a quick question to get this thread back up and running, so.....

As I am just back from holiday: Which action film required construction of a villain's mountain-top den which now (decades later) thrives as a major tourist attraction with a revolving restaurant called Piz Gloria?

Pete

Hmmm, seems nobody's bothered with this one so I hereby assign the Ding to sharpeset.

Oops - just spotted I've been awarded the Ding by default. Only looked 'cos I was going to add Northampton as the home of the Saints. Better think of a quick question to get this thread back up and running, so.....

As I am just back from holiday: Which action film required construction of a villain's mountain-top den which now (decades later) thrives as a major tourist attraction with a revolving restaurant called Piz Gloria?

Pete

Villains headquarters on a mountaintop? Has to be a James Bond film. No idea which though.

Gah everytime I don't check this thread for a while there's a question I know - I've even had a hot chocolate at the restaurant !! The most amusing thing is a big sign at the top of the mountain indicating "no high heels"!

Yes - we saw that sign just poking out above the several feet of snow. Just as amusing, on our visit, was the sign at the start of the black run down saying 'beware, light snow covering' when just a few hundred meters further on the piste had been wiped out by an avalanche!