The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

How many countries does Germany share a border with and names please?

The correct amount and 60% or more of the country names will get the ding!

:):lol:

9 - France, Luxembourg, Belgium, Netherlands, Denmark, Poland, Czech Republic, Austria, Switzerland

DING DING

Oh well to easy, but it looks like there could be a Stewards Inquiry so up to you whether you go ahead and set a question until the stewards rule :(

:):lol:

9 - France, Luxembourg, Belgium, Netherlands, Denmark, Poland, Czech Republic, Austria, Switzerland

DING DING

Oh well to easy, but it looks like there could be a Stewards Inquiry so up to you whether you go ahead and set a question until the stewards rule :(

LOL Not too sure where I got Denmark from!! Perhaps he stewards should rule afterall...

Well I know it was Trumpton and that the correct names were Pugh! Pugh! Barney McGrew! Cuthbert! Dibble! Grubb

Ding to DrDick etc....you got them in the right order the first time around........

Didn't the Spokes get the correct answer first???????

Hmmmm - as question setter I decided they had merely phonetically recited the verse, without necessarily trying to place the piccies in the correct order....... :(

:(:D

DING DING

LOL Not too sure where I got Denmark from!! Perhaps he stewards should rule afterall...

No need as the list is 100% correct

:(:D

DING DING

No need as the list is 100% correct

OK - Next question is...... How long does it take for light from the moon to reach the earth?

Hmmmm - as question setter I decided they had merely phonetically recited the verse, without necessarily trying to place the piccies in the correct order....... :ph34r:

But weren't the pictures in the correct order matching the verse?

They were - but the answerer didn't indicate that.

And, as question setter, my word is final! :blink::D:D:D:D

OK - Next question is...... How long does it take for light from the moon to reach the earth?
The moon's around 250,000 miles away (it moves about a bit anyway- they do use lasers to measure how much), and light travels at 186,282.3970 miles per second, so about 1.34 seconds. Give or take.

I think that's close enough so... DING to Simply Paul.

Although my sources suggest it is 1.26 seconds. Although the moon has no light source of its own, it does reflect the sun's light and, therefore, light does come from the moon..

Saw something about this a year or 2 ago.

All to do with there being A and B people. 'A's are the cheery ones who leap out of bed every morning and 'B's are the ones who hit the snooze button.

Some movement to have the whole world working flexi-time, doing away with fixed working periods, roll in when you want to or something. Bit like being in touch with your body clock and don't worry about what the rest of the world is doing.

Another odd idea from Scandinavia, must be all those strange day/night lengths they have up in the arctic circle. Haven't seen anything recently though, so thought it had all gone away.

Edited for bad spelling!

Edited by careygang

All to do with there being A and B people. 'A's are the cheery ones who leap out of bed every morning and 'B's are the ones who hit the snooze button.

Some movement to have the whole world working flexi-time, doing away with fixed working periods, roll in when you want to or something. Bit like being in touch with your body clock and don't worry about what the rest of the world is doing.

Another odd idea from Scandinavia, must be all those strange day/night lengths they have up in the arctic circle. Haven't seen anything recently though, so thought it had all gone away.

Correct. Although nothing to do with the artic circle (There now is a political movement in Denmark).

Ding.. you're next.

The Dr was along the right lines but I'm going to go out on a limb and give it to Dorsetgal for getting nearer to the significance of the fact that at a time of segregation, the Tuskegee Airmen were an experiment by the USAAF to see if the Black American could cope with the complexity of flying...!!

Such was the bigotry of the time in the US, that a "scientific" report by the University of Texas was produced which purported to prove that African Americans were of low intelligence and incapable of handling complex situations (such as air combat).

However, by 1945, the Black Americans who had trained at Tuskegee in Alabama (I wonder who decided to train them in the heart of the South!) were members of the all black 332nd Fighter Group. Despite the segregation, in 1945 the US Army made a propaganda film about their success, which you can see here 'Wings For This Man' and was narrated by Ronald Regan. Although the film does not specifically mention Racism, around 6:50 minutes in, it includes the phrase "You can't judge a man here by the colour of his skin or the shape of his nose.. On the Flight Strip you judge a man by the way he flies.." (Although the video is shown as 58 minutes, only the first 10 minutes is the "Wings For This Man". Its worth seeing for a short movie made at a time of deep racism in US society. Quite pioneering stuff.)

So DING to DG.

Edited to add that George Lucas has a film in pre-production called Red Tails, which covers the story of the Tuskegee Airmen. With an African American now in the White House, such a project might well see completion in the next year or two. George Lucas has been working on it since 1990!

Edited by careygang
The moon's around 250,000 miles away (it moves about a bit anyway- they do use lasers to measure how much), and light travels at 186,282.3970 miles per second, so about 1.34 seconds. Give or take.

I think that's close enough so... DING to Simply Paul.

Although my sources suggest it is 1.26 seconds. Although the moon has no light source of its own, it does reflect the sun's light and, therefore, light does come from the moon..

Looking around 250 years into the past and future, the closest the moon has gotten was 356,375 km (224,441 miles). The futhest the moon will be from the earth is 406,720 km (252,724 miles). The average is 384,401 km (238,856 miles).

These equate to time delays of 1.19 seconds at the closest point to 1.36 seconds at the furthest point, with an average of 1.28 seconds.

Ding!

Well done! Yes, The Bloody Hundredth is indeed the nickname given to The 100th Bombardment Group, based at Thorpe Abbotts airfield (just outside Diss in Norfolk), because of their high level of combat losses, although, in fact their losses were about average for the 8th Air Force, when they did lose they lost heavily.

The average survival at the time was about 11 sorties :laughing:

They flew the B-17 Flying Fortress, and I once had the pleasure of flying our Piper Cherokee into the aerodrome which is now predominantly farmland, landing on the restored perimeter track :laughing:

Over to you Dr Dick.

Belfast? I'd argue that one. Depends on your definition of Capital Cities I suppose.

Next Question:

Which pop/rock band is most associated with roundels??

Could be The Who. Or The Jam.

I had one on the back of a rather natty fishtail parka back in the day......... gave the rockers something to aim at