The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Who was the last British Prime Minister to be assassinated while in office?

Spencer Percival?

DING and he is in fact the ONLY British PM to have been assassinated.

I knew he was the first but I thought I might have been bunking off school the day we did assassinated Prime Ministers. T be fair, I was bunking off most days! :D:P

Right, I hate football and I'm no stamp collector but I liked this question from a recent quiz I did.

Which former England international footballer once appeared on a national stamp of Gambia?

It was Mr Lineker. 1996 it was issued.

Didn't know the whole team had appeared on one. The Gambians must be very short of stamp ideas if you ask me.

Over to Simply Paul

5C032385.jpg

England stamp

Gambia seem to put any old tat on their stamps. Their newest series is:

George W. Bush

Bono

and............. Simply Paul ;):)

Edited by Chudley Cannons
I'll take a punt at Gary Lineker
Ding!

It was Mr Lineker. 1996 it was issued.

Didn't know the whole team had appeared on one. The Gambians must be very short of stamp ideas if you ask me.

Over to Simply Paul

That's a shock. It was a total guess. Ok. Here's another stamp question. Before the rule was dropped in December 2003, when players from England's victory over Australia in the 2003 Rugby World Cup Final were shown (however no faces appeared), the Royal Mail had a policy of not showing living, identifiable individuals on stamps- the Royal family excepted.

However, twice since the 1960s this rule was broken. Name the people featured (some help may be forthcoming as this isn't an easy one to guess!)

FYI, the rule was finally totally abandoned with the release on 6 October 2005 of a set of stamps to commemorate the English cricket team's victory over Australia in the 2005 Ashes series. The four stamps clearly and deliberately depict members of the team including captain Michael Vaughan and Andrew 'Freddie' Flintoff . A series of stamps released in January 2007 featured some of the most famous Beatles album covers, which also show members of the band. So there you go. Educational!

I'm thinking there is a clue in your remarks about the rugby team, though you've dented my theory by saying NO about Neil Armstrong.

My theory was that if only one faceless person appeared, then by default it must be them.

So, Gypsy Moth (whatever the number) going around the world would have been a stamp of a yacht with only one person depicted, therefore Sir Francis Chichester.

My other guess would have been Neil Armstrong on the moon in a space suit !! :lol: , because Sir Edmund Hillary up Everest would have been the 1950s!!

Actually, you said the rule was broken twice - was that only one person per stamp?

Half a DING (a DI, if you will) to careygang for Gypsy Moth IV and Sir Francis Chichester, who was only seen as a blob on it, but as there was only one person onboard... That was 1967.

Churchill was on a stamp, in 1965, but that was after he'd died. No astronauts, Blue Peter presenters or footballers I'm afraid. Nor Lady Di, John Lennon or a Pope. And yes, two people, two stamps. The second is from the 90s, I think.

Was is Roger Taylor? The drummer not the crappy tennis player.

Technically Queen, but not HM the Queen.

That's quite a guess! Yes, it was Roger Taylor, behind Freddie Mercury, on a stamp issued after the singer's death. NG and therefor the Ding! to either careygang or Chudley Cannons. But which is best? Fiiiiiiiight! :D
Was is Roger Taylor? The drummer not the crappy tennis player.

Technically Queen, but not HM the Queen.

That's quite a guess! Yes, it was Roger Taylor, behind Freddie Mercury, on a stamp issued after the singer's death. NG and therefor the Ding! to either careygang or Chudley Cannons. But which is best? Fiiiiiiiight! :P

Not a guess, the stamp was mentioned in a documentary about Freddie Mercury that I watched a couple of days ago. Funny how stuff like that rings a bell. Apparently Freddie Mercury was a keen stamp collector.

I'm fine with careygang taking it. unless he wants to take me on at Quidditch, although to be fair we haven't won much since 1892. :D

I'd go for potatoes and Jerusalem artichokes.

(Together, in soup, with a little grated cheese on top perhaps?)

MrsB

Potatoes are tubers, do they count as vegetables?

They do in my kitchen :laughing:

(You're not going to try and convince me that they're fruit or something now, are you? :blink: )

MrsB

Edited by The Blorenges
What are the two vegetables?

Hmmm... asked around the orifice and the consensus seems to be there are more than two!

Rhubarb, asparagus and some broccolis seemed common answers.

Could be more than two, but in true rutson style, you gave the two that I was thinking of. :laughing::D

Over to you.......................

Which two, please? :)

MrsB

What are the two vegetables?

Hmmm... asked around the orifice and the consensus seems to be there are more than two!

Rhubarb, asparagus and some broccolis seemed common answers.

Could be more than two, but in true rutson style, you gave the two that I was thinking of. :laughing::D

Over to you.......................

Which two, please? :)

MrsB

Rhubarb and asparagus

Sorry, I only know it as a sort of saying. When the dog lets off a Windy Miller and one of us goes Peeeeeuw my wife sometimes follows up with the rest.(She used to watch it) If its unanswered by tonight perhaps she will know.

I was hoping they were in order.

Could the first two be Pugh and Pugh (is it spelt that way then ?)

Hells teeth how do you tell em apart anyway?

Edited by The Spokes