The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

OK, here goes... Which number is the odd number out and why?

1243, 2793, 3656, 4868, 5678, 6397,

Well 5678 is the only number consisting of 4 consecutive cardinal numbers in order.

Or have you been hoisted by your own petard and this is a "pick the thing I'm thinking of" question? :lol:

Or how about.... If you add each set of 4 up...

1243 only equals 10...

but all the others add up to 20 or more...

Definitely seems to be a Q with more than one possible A... :ph34r:

Edited by careygang

OK, here goes... Which number is the odd number out and why?

1243, 2793, 3656, 4868, 5678, 6397,

Well 5678 is the only number consisting of 4 consecutive cardinal numbers in order.

Or have you been hoisted by your own petard and this is a "pick the thing I'm thinking of" question? :lol:

Or how about.... If you add each set of 4 up...

1243 only equals 10...

but all the others add up to 20 or more...

Definitely seems to be a Q with more than one possible A... :ph34r:

6397 is a prime number, the others aren't

AmEx- -1963?

DING

Diners Club was the first 'charge card' as we know them today, launched in 1950, but was limited in its coverage.

American Express, a financial services company started in 1850, launched their competitor in 1958 and went international in coverage. In 1963 they began to offer cards where the transaction currency was in Pounds Stirling or Mexican Pesos.

Their original cards were literally paper card, but in 1959 they became the first company to use the plastic card as we know it today.

Additional info for those who are bothered... The 'credit card' as we know them began about the same time(1958/9) as a Bank of America experiment in California, but did not really develop until the mid 1960s when franchising with other banks allowed it to spread, across the USA and internationally, including the 'Barclaycard' in the UK in 1966. To create a common name for the various individual bank's franchised cards, they all became VISA in around 1975/6.

Over to keehotee...

Whoops - sorry for the delay.... [racks brain trying to think of a question...]

OK - the oldest known recorded cave survey is of xxxx in Bristol. xxxx is also the site of the earliest recorded caving death, in 1775.

What is the name of the cave, and what is unique, in this country, about the way the cave was formed?

Edited by keehotee

Whoops - sorry for the delay.... [racks brain trying to think of a question...]

OK - the oldest known recorded cave survey is of xxxx in Bristol. xxxx is also the site of the earliest recorded caving death, in 1775.

What is the name of the cave, and what is unique, in this country, about the way the cave was formed?

Total guess:

Wookey Hole (it's the only 'cave' I know down there but then again I'm not even sure it is a cave)

It's created by a volcanic vent (I'm sure there's a technical name for this) rather than water erosion.

Taking a bit of a guess, geology and geography exams are looong in the past for me ... hot water underground coming up from the depths?

An odd one to guess at - but it gets you the ding

The cave was formed by rising geothermal water (the only known example of a hydrothermal cave in the UK or Ireland), making it far older than other caves in the area, at around 190 million years old.
Edited by keehotee

Taking a bit of a guess, geology and geography exams are looong in the past for me ... hot water underground coming up from the depths?

The cave was formed by rising geothermal water (the only known example of a hydrothermal cave in the UK or Ireland), making it far older than other caves in the area, at around 190 million years old.

Not really that odd to guess at ... not with a smattering of geology in the background years ago ... remember when you live in the south west you study the local geology, most of which I have forgotten due to brain injury in between :D however if the random nature of my guessing bothers you, go ahead set another question.

Given that this question lasted a week with so few responses, I applaud DG for getting it... :D

I'm sure keehotee did not mean to imply that anything underhand had transpired, that's the problem with typed communication, it lacks feeling and tone.

Over to you DG. -_-

Edited by careygang

Not really that odd to guess at ... not with a smattering of geology in the background years ago ... remember when you live in the south west you study the local geology, most of which I have forgotten due to brain injury in between <_< however if the random nature of my guessing bothers you, go ahead set another question.

????? Did I miss something?? No offence intended..........

Ok here's a quickie, what is a human cave dweller called?

A trogladite... but I'm not sure about the spelling :huh:

Ding!

Troglodyte

Over to you John.

Did think about answering 'Moote' but then again... perhaps not <_<:(

OK... a nuvver quick one:-

Your boss askes you to go out and catch him a 'brumby'. Where would you be and what would you bring back to him?

Edited by Pharisee