The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

No idea, so I googled. Imaginatively named!

Interestingly, the first site on the google list, about art in prisons, reckons its in Kent, which had me confused for a short time, until I realised they were thinking of a different Ashford. But, it's on t'internet, so it MUST be true, right?;)

Still don't know the answer! :D

Edited by Guanajuato

Welcome to the Groundspeak Arms, come in, take your coat off - put your feet up! :)

I'm going to ask a question, whoever answers correctly can post the next question and so on...

Rule 1 - No googling!

Rule 2 - Try and keep your question at the level someone in a pub quiz might be able to answer...

If the pub lets you use t'internet and carry books in, why not..... :)

I'm pretty sure of the country so that leaves the paper's name...

The Times (of India not UK)?

The Times of India.... that's the one. over to you>>>>>>>>>>>

Once again, Belgian music ;)

A Belgian band had it's music used in several US TV series, one of them "Cold case". Name the band.

A Belgian band had it's music used in several US TV series, one of them "Cold case". Name the band.

Perhaps you don't understand the rules. Where is says keep the questions to pub quiz level, it really means UK pub quiz level. Not Belgian Pub Quiz level.

I spent an hour yesterday on Google and Wikipedia and still couldn't find the answer to the question.

I spent an hour yesterday on Google and Wikipedia and still couldn't find the answer to the question.

Aaaah - you're not Googling hard enough....

Band has a one word name - first half sounds like something you'd clean a house with - or an american dam; second half rhymes with chronic but is more musical........... ;):D:ph34r::lol:

Aaaah - you're not Googling hard enough....

Band has a one word name - first half sounds like something you'd clean a house with - or an american dam; second half rhymes with chronic but is more musical........... :):):lol::lol:

So close... and correct too ;) ... just say it... (I have to get packing to go to London 2morrow anyway...)

Perhaps you don't understand the rules. Where is says keep the questions to pub quiz level, it really means UK pub quiz level. Not Belgian Pub Quiz level.

Bad googler then (Perhaps you don't understand the rules. Where it says NO GOOGLING :) )

Hint (just for you): "cold case" "third season" "sanctuary"

BTW, I saw other questions here that are "non UK" and my previous "Belgian music" question was answered so fast it scared me :)

Bad googler then (Perhaps you don't understand the rules. Where it says NO GOOGLING :) )

Hint (just for you): "cold case" "third season" "sanctuary"

BTW, I saw other questions here that are "non UK" and my previous "Belgian music" question was answered so fast it scared me :)

Nobody said they had to be UK questions, just Pub Quiz level and lets face it the only worthwhile thing about Belgium is their Chocolate :lol: Featuring in the TV series Cold Case for an episode several years ago is hardly fame, every Cold Case programme will have music relevant to the time period of the story...

But now back to the Quiz!

Well it was 6:00pm on Friday when the correct answer was given by HarryHotSpur and was 'Dinged' shortly afterwards, so as a Satrurday and 2 full evenings have now passed without a new Question being set, I'm going to jump in to keep this going (sorry HarryHotSpur ;) ).

The 1700s were still a period of expansion for the major European Empires and when a bit of a war broke out, it was common for a countries Army to be supplemented with Regiments and 'Armies' from friendly powers.

We would now call them mercenaries, but these forces would be raised by Barons, Counts, Earls etc from their local populace and for the required wages would go off and fight for the side they fancied.

The Question is...

Which 2 mainland European nations were significant contributors to the US War of Independence from Great Britain and for which side did they turn out?

Having read quite a few books based around that time I would hazard a guesse that it was France and Spain in that order.

As hinted in a previous question I am a big fan of Alexander Kent's Bolitho books and in the early ones he was involved with naval battles fighting the Americans with their French and Spanish allies.

Edited by DrDick&Vick

We (British) used german mercanaries - did the americans use french?

Again my questions are tooooooo easy.

A DING for keehotee.

The nasty Frogie French sided with the breakaway colonies, surreptitiously at first, but later the French Navy took an active part (we were of course up against the French over what became Canada).

Germany was still a collection of some 300 Principalities, but many of these provided troops, a majority of which came from the region of Hesse-Cassel, so generally all the Germanic fighting with the British were/are know as Hessians, but for the purpose of this question I'll accept German.

Incidentally, we British also used the Native Americans, not a clever move to encourage the natives to attach the white settlers, I'm guessing that may have hardened feelings towards them for the latter Indian Wars.

Edited by careygang

Ho ho ho...

1. When did the people of Norway first give London a Christmas tree?

2. When were the lights turned on this year?

3. Who provides the crib?

4. When is the Trafalgar Square tree traditionally taken down?

edired to add - whoops - that'll learn me not to check who we're logged in as - keehotee

Edited by *mouse*

Ho ho ho...

edited to add - whoops - that'll learn me not to check who we're logged in as - keehotee

Ho ho ho...

edited to add - whoops - that'll learn me not to check who we're logged in as - keehotee

1. After the second world war, as a thank you- So I'll try 1946

2. November the 29th (a Saturday) or December the 1st as a guess

3. Rotary Club? (Wild guess)

4. 12th Night- January the 6th would make sense, but I suspect they remove the lights then, and take it down later. I'll take a swing at January the 12th.

While I'm here, on behalf of The Golem who started the original thread, and myself, thank you to everyone who's contributed to the UK forum's most popular ever thread, and to the lurkers who've made it the most viewed too. Cheers! <_<

While I'm here, on behalf of The Golem who started the original thread, and myself, thank you to everyone who's contributed to the UK forum's most popular ever thread, and to the lurkers who've made it the most viewed too. Cheers! :D

....and it is the second such thread. The first reached 80 pages, 3966 replies and 48312 view before being accidentally archived on 31st March 2007 at 1744hrs (erm, my birthday I fear) by an absent minded and totally irresponsible reviewer clicking where he ought not to have been clicking <_<:);):)

...well firstly, the tree, this year looks a bit sad, was there recently while doing this cache.

We saw the board at the base of the tree, and agree it was donated from 1946 onwards by the people of Oslo.

We think it was lit on the 4th of December and will be taken down on the eve of 12th night which makes it 5th January 2009!

The crib comes from the local church St Martin in the Fields and the crib ceremony this year was on the first Sunday following the lights, which was the 7th.