The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

How about -85 metres in Death Valley?

Ding for The Hornet. :D

Most visitors to Las Vegas don't realise that Death Valley is only a couple of hours drive.

We were over there this week, but stupidly (I messed up on the PQ), I didn't take the details for the Virtual at Badwater GCH657, officially the lowest cache on the continent at 85 mtrs/282 ft below sea level.

Edited by careygang

I remember driving down into Death Valley some years ago in an air conditioned car. It was quite something watching the outside temperature rising to well over 40C. We then stopped and got out! Boy did the heat hit us :D

Anyway, enough waffling, here's a sort of Xmas themed question - What was King Herod's first wife called? Made me smile when I first heard it on QI a while back.

Klaatu Barada Dingto! It's the phrase used to stop the robot Gort from destroying the Earth in the original 1951 The Day The Earth Stood Still. There's a remake in the cinemas now, but I'm not sure if the words are used again. The correct spelling is Klaatu Barada Nikto, but Marty is close enough for me. :blink:

The original was a great film IMHO, I can't imaging the remake will be anywhere near as good, so sticking with the theme:

"Michael Rennie was ill the day the earth stood still" is a line from which song?

Yep, far too easy- Keehotee is right. Leia says it to Han Solo on first seeing the Millennium Falcon. It's also famously dirty out of context <_<

I'm going to assume the ding - and keep going with the theme....

Fill in the blanks

ALL THESE --- ARE YOURS EXCEPT ---.

ATTEMPT NO --- THERE.

... but I could be totally wrong... again :D

You could be ;)

But you're not.

Ding

Yeah.... :huh:

OK.... are there any other sad people out there that count the steps when they're climbing (or descending) stairs? :D And that's NOT the question!

Covent Garden tube station doesn't have an escalator... it has lifts or a staircase. If you were daft enought (as I was the other day) to choose the stairs, how many steps would you climb from the platform up to the exit onto the street? +/- 5 will get you the ding!

Covent Garden tube station doesn't have an escalator... it has lifts or a staircase. If you were daft enought (as I was the other day) to choose the stairs, how many steps would you climb from the platform up to the exit onto the street? +/- 5 will get you the ding!

Hold that thought... I'll count them next week when I'm in London... Covent garden is on our list of things to see. ;)

I can remember climbing the stairs when there was a fault with the lift. I seem to remember it is somewhere around the 190 mark as I looked it afterwards as it was a dadgum long way up and most opted to wait while the fault was fixed. As it was a few weeks before a marathon I had entered I treated it as a bit of extra training.

Re Posted

I can remember climbing the stairs when there was a fault with the lift. I seem to remember it is somewhere around the 190 mark as I looked it afterwards as it was a dadgum long way up and most opted to wait while the fault was fixed. As it was a few weeks before a marathon I had entered I treated it as a bit of extra training.

Edited by DrDick&Vick
Re Posted

DING to the Doc.... I counted 193 so 190 is close enough ;)