The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Another nice easy one for you all.

Who is or was Richard Bolitho?

Wan't he a character in a historical novel... Sailing ships or navy warfare, something like that?

Close enough, he was a fictional character, who came from Falmouth, in a deries of novels by Alexander Kent. He started as a midshipman and the series followed his progression through to Admiral.

So I will give the DING to Pharisee

Another nice easy one for you all.

Who is or was Richard Bolitho?

Wan't he a character in a historical novel... Sailing ships or navy warfare, something like that?

Close enough, he was a fictional character, who came from Falmouth, in a deries of novels by Alexander Kent. He started as a midshipman and the series followed his progression through to Admiral.

So I will give the DING to Pharisee

Thank you :)

Sticking with the name thingy and keeping it simple. What, precisely, do John Rogers, John Bradford and John Philpot have in common?

Edited by Pharisee
My catholic education makes me pretty good on martyrs but I believe these three were all from the 'other side'. They ring a bell because Bishop Hooper has a monument in my home town... so I think they're Protestant martyrs?

Martyrs they certainly were but they all met their demise in the same place and in the same manner. That's the information I was really looking for. Anyone who's done much (event?) caching in London should know the answer :)

My catholic education makes me pretty good on martyrs but I believe these three were all from the 'other side'. They ring a bell because Bishop Hooper has a monument in my home town... so I think they're Protestant martyrs?

Martyrs they certainly were but they all met their demise in the same place and in the same manner. That's the information I was really looking for. Anyone who's done much (event?) caching in London should know the answer :)

Smithfield/St Barts?

Sorry, Dave, Your reply must have popped up while I was typing :laughing:

No problem John, and thank you CHC, gentlemen all!

OK, for cachers of "a certain age" :P , televisually who was DS Andy Crawford's father-in-law?

If I haven't got back on line again when the answer comes let there be a communal and consensual DING awarded. :laughing::)

From the hints provided 'members of a certain age and the fact that he was a copper' I would hazard a guesse that it was a really early cop show so it's either the Scotland Yard one called, I think 'No Hiding Place' or the real king of the old blue lamp himself 'Dixon of Dock Green' and that is really showing my age as I used to watch both.

Excuse me while I go and sit down as all that thinking has tired me out and I suddenly feel very old.

From the hints provided 'members of a certain age and the fact that he was a copper' I would hazard a guesse that it was a really early cop show so it's either the Scotland Yard one called, I think 'No Hiding Place' or the real king of the old blue lamp himself 'Dixon of Dock Green' and that is really showing my age as I used to watch both.

Excuse me while I go and sit down as all that thinking has tired me out and I suddenly feel very old.

KerrrrDOYNG!!!!

Sort it out between you :P:laughing:

Paris Hylton???????

Actually something is ringing a bell that it was something stupid like a coffee machine in a university

Quick DING !! It was set up so Cambridge University IT guys could save having to make trips to the kitchen to see if there was any coffee in the machine. The pot, after the webcam was switched off, was sold on ebay for over £3000.

He was most certainly was one of the Four Tops, in fact he was the bass singer.

They were a truly fantastic vocal group, I remember one performance when Levi Stubbs insisted on going on stage for every performence of the tour despite being in agony with blood poisoning in the foot.

They are truly missed. There is only one member still alive, The Duke Abdul Fakir.

So DING to the Dorset Girly and here whoofer

Edited by DrDick&Vick

This is where I get really boring and share my holiday pics!! :P

Here's GeoDog and I outside the Motown Museum, in Detroit Michigan ... formerly home of Berry Gordy and the Motown music label and studios. The Four Tops recorded there I think in the middle section of their career, before the Motown label moved to California.

751921ff-e858-4c6c-a72a-5a420855fe3b.jpg

091fc2bb-2045-4056-83d0-67030be1860a.jpg

OK now to the next question.

When at the museum, we were told an item had previously been stolen, and was returned after the Police recovered it ... mostly due to the fact that the culprit had signed the visitors book during his visit!

What item was stolen from the Motown Museum in the early 1990s and who did it belong to originally?