The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

I think I recall that around half a million died at Ypres. It sounds to shocking to be true though.

Perhaps disease accounted for quite a number of them.

So if its this figure then 502008

There is a story in a book I have about a young man who lied about his age and was made an acting sergeant at 16. I would not give a 16 year old water pistol today let alone be in charge of a group of men with guns.

Sugar misread the question once per day not year.

So 3377

Edited by The Spokes

Thanks very much. All this talk of charities (I don't have any strong feelings either way) has reminded me of the challenge Bambography took part in during the summer, while raising funds for a famous London children's hospital (no names, no pack-drill). What's the record, to the nearest half an hour, for visiting all the stations on the London Underground, by tube? He probably has an unfair advantage, but he's not in here all that often... :)

Thanks very much. All this talk of charities (I don't have any strong feelings either way) has reminded me of the challenge Bambography took part in during the summer, while raising funds for a famous London children's hospital (no names, no pack-drill). What's the record, to the nearest half an hour, for visiting all the stations on the London Underground, by tube? He probably has an unfair advantage, but he's not in here all that often... :)

just to clarify for my wild guess, does one have to get off the tube at each station, and wait for a next one, or is one allowed to 'pass through'...?

just to clarify for my wild guess, does one have to get off the tube at each station, and wait for a next one, or is one allowed to 'pass through'...?
I've checked, and the official word on visiting the 269 stations is this:

All of the stations served by London Underground trains must be visited.

To `visit' a station, you must arrive and/or depart by an underground train in normal public service, but where a service is shared by underground and National Rail trains travelling over the same tracks it is permissible to use the National Rail trains.

It is necessary for a through train to stop at the station for the visit to count, although you do not need to get out. Certain stations are normally only open at certain times of the day, and this must be taken into account in your planning.

Attempts can only be made during the week as certain stations are shut at weekends. Only if a station is temporarily closed (e.g. for rebuilding, or in an emergency) will a non-stop pass through a station be acceptable.

Well the Tube is shut for a few hours each night and some of the stations are out on a far limb, but then some trains are thick and fast at rush hour... So I'll go for around 15 Hrs :)

I'm assuming that the Docklands Light Railway is not included in the question, even though it features on the Tube maps?

I've checked, and the official word on visiting the 269 stations is this:

All of the stations served by London Underground trains must be visited.

To `visit' a station, you must arrive and/or depart by an underground train in normal public service, but where a service is shared by underground and National Rail trains travelling over the same tracks it is permissible to use the National Rail trains.

It is necessary for a through train to stop at the station for the visit to count, although you do not need to get out. Certain stations are normally only open at certain times of the day, and this must be taken into account in your planning.

Attempts can only be made during the week as certain stations are shut at weekends. Only if a station is temporarily closed (e.g. for rebuilding, or in an emergency) will a non-stop pass through a station be acceptable.

thanks for that - i'll guess lower at 13 hrs 15 mins!