The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Oh good, my brain hasn't completely addled then.

Here's a pub quiz question asked in a pub quiz I did last Friday.

Take the gameshow where you could win "BFH", a flyer of the genus Bombus, the singer of "That's Livin' Alright" and the star of the short comedy film "The Plank" and you get what connection?

Ding goes to the person who gets the thing that connects them all, but please feel free to explain how you got there.

Good question! Think I might have it.....

Eric Sykes starred in the Plank, Joe Fagin sang the song (theme to Auf Wiedershen Pet, one of my all time favourite programmes), my wife informs me that Bullseye was a dog (Bill Sykes'?) and I'm guessing that the flyer is a bumble - all of which adds up the connection being characters in Oliver Twist

Pete

Eric Sykes starred in the Plank, Joe Fagin sang the song (theme to Auf Wiedershen Pet, one of my all time favourite programmes), my wife informs me that Bullseye was a dog (Bill Sykes'?) and I'm guessing that the flyer is a bumble - all of which adds up the connection being characters in Oliver Twist

Pete

That is indeed a DING

Just to finish the detail off BFH if anyone wants to know is "Bus Fare Home".

Over to you Pete.

Pete

That is indeed a DING

Just to finish the detail off BFH if anyone wants to know is "Bus Fare Home".

Over to you Pete.

Thanks: I'll try a question from a quiz that stuck in my mind about this time last year:

If Brian Clough was 44 in 1974, and Steve Coppell was 33 in 1996, who was 41 in 2007?

Pete

Thanks: I'll try a question from a quiz that stuck in my mind about this time last year:

If Brian Clough was 44 in 1974, and Steve Coppell was 33 in 1996, who was 41 in 2007?

Pete

Are you sure it wasn't 2006?

yes - definitely 2007....

Edited to add: but I've checked my diary, and the quiz I went to wasn't until mid-November

Edited by Sharpeset

I had a thought it was possibly who is the youngest premiership manager & their age.

But your clue makes me wonder about Mark Hughes - what with Bruce having been at mud Utd & Hughes now being at Mud City (EASTlands)?

I've a couple more stabs in the dark to go yet... :anicute:

No not the wonderful Mark Hughes, manager of my beloved team - less of the Mud City please.

You are right about the answer being managerial, but it's not youngest, or premiership. Going back to previous clue - think East of where Bruce managed before going north to Wigan...

I'm sure Villa park is North-west of St Andrews, so its not Martin O'Neill. Every time I see that doddering old .... it makes me feel old because I remember him playing for Forest :anicute:

Its either Chris Coleman or The ex-palace manager that I can't remember the name of - you know, the ugly one with the pHd in balistics (or some such thing) so I'm reliably informed by my palace-mad boss. but it's not rocket science is it? :D

Iain Dowie - just come back to me! :D

As for the Mud - I grew up in Sheffield and we all referred to it as Mudchester. B) To be honest, it was the 'other' team that I tend to refer to like that. To me, there's only one United!

So I'll go for Chris Coleman.

No idea of the reasoning though!

I'm sure Villa park is North-west of St Andrews, so its not Martin O'Neill. Every time I see that doddering old .... it makes me feel old because I remember him playing for Forest :anicute:

Its either Chris Coleman or The ex-palace manager that I can't remember the name of - you know, the ugly one with the pHd in balistics (or some such thing) so I'm reliably informed by my palace-mad boss. but it's not rocket science is it? :D

Iain Dowie - just come back to me! :D

As for the Mud - I grew up in Sheffield and we all referred to it as Mudchester. B) To be honest, it was the 'other' team that I tend to refer to like that. To me, there's only one United!

So I'll go for Chris Coleman.

No idea of the reasoning though!

No, and No I'm afraid. You need to go about 30 miles slightly North East of St Andrews and find another pretty ugly one (who I now recall has managed in the Birmingham metropolis in his time). Remember the answer (ie as at 2006) was NOT a premiership manager (though he is now....)

Continuing the Scatter gun approach....

Slightly North of east of Brum made me think Derby, Nottingham or Leicester.

So the next Guess: The Ginger Whinger himself, Moaner Megson. He was a Leicester for a (very) short time. Which I THINK might be the link - Cloughie was at Leeds for 40-odd days, and I think something was made of Megson being close to that when he went. Couldn't have happened to a more deserving chap! Don't have anything against the Ginger Snortbeast at all. :anicute:

Continuing the Scatter gun approach....

Slightly North of east of Brum made me think Derby, Nottingham or Leicester.

So the next Guess: The Ginger Whinger himself, Moaner Megson. He was a Leicester for a (very) short time. Which I THINK might be the link - Cloughie was at Leeds for 40-odd days, and I think something was made of Megson being close to that when he went. Couldn't have happened to a more deserving chap! Don't have anything against the Ginger Snortbeast at all. :anicute:

DING

Yes the link was short-lived managerial stays. Cloughie was at Leeds for 44 days, Coppell (ugh) walked out on Man City after ust 33 days, and Megson lasted a paltry 41 days at Leicester.

Over to you...

Edited by Sharpeset

I'm going to be right picky, and say "Close, but no cigar."

I know you're thinking of the right place, but there's another 'clue' in the proper question.

What's the Deepest tarn in the lake district?

[Edit]

Then again - I've just checked the OS map, and its labelled as Blea Water, not Blea Tarn.

Doh!

DING

after all!

Must try harder to set questions where I definitely know the answer - though I thought I did! :laughing:

Edited by Guanajuato

Name the following and what connects them. Ding for the first post with all five answers:

1985 UK number one single for Sister Sledge

Popular's big brother

Physeter macrocephalus

A multi protocol instant messaging client for Windows

1. Frankie ?

2. Prefect - thinking Ford Popular

3. Sperm Whale

4. Miranda?

2 & 3 immediately make me think of The Hitchikers Guide.

Who or what links King Charles the 1st, Cows and a Pepper pot?

Now if I'm right, this is one of the more bizarre links...

But John Cleese?

Sang a song about Oliver Cromwell that mentions 'Poor King Charles'

Involved in flinging cows from the frenchy castle in Monty Python & the holy grail

He played one of the Pepperpots in many monty python sketches.

There must be a hat around here, for me to have it ready for tea...

Edited by Guanajuato

King Charles was a prisoner in Carrisbrooke Castle for a while (on the IoW near CowEs).... and there is a monument on the IoW called the Pepperpot.

Or you can have the other story on the pepperpot that when KCI was beheaded one of his vertabrae was removed, a silver top fitted to make a pepperpot for Oliver Cromwell to use!

Graculus/Chris

Edited by Graculus

Is targetted Internet research (i.e. not using a search engine, but browsing a certain broadcaster's website) allowed? If so, I now have the answer. But I won't post unless its not breaking the rules.

I don't want to be banned from this thread :D:D:D:ph34r:

(How many smilies do I need to make it clear that's a JOKE?) :ph34r::ph34r::D:D