The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

No worries :)

Ok here we go...

Apart from Japanese Knotweed, what other living thing, gave those clearing the ground for the new Olympic Park in London the most difficulty?

.....feral cats?

DING DING!

It was indeed cats that gave one of the biggest headaches!

Over 160 of them apparently! 2012 website with details

See Linky

Over to you Dave! :P

Who were originally at 6's & 7's?

Ancient Locust like creatures from another planet?
Always nice to see a Quatermas and the Pit reference. :)

Now. The rules (as requested on the last page):

Pub-quiz level questions, meaning some people might know it, and some people could guess it.

No Googling, meaning no looking it up on the Internet via a search engine site. Caching related stuff can be looked up on Geocaching.com, but generally, it's you and your wits, not you and Wiki.

Yes you can look up the answer in a book, yes you can ask friends and family, but they shouldn't be using the Internet to furnish you with an answer either. If anyone needs more insight than that, feel free to ask... but let's not get too tied up in quizzing red-tape; it's supposed to be a bit o' lighthearted fun :P

I have no idea but when in a pub quiz team I can sometimes jog someone else to the right answer. A lot of these terms like I'm stumped and knocked for six come from cricket. Perhaps it is some other sporting term.

Real tennis, Croquet, Polo. or even a board game like back gammon cribbage., or clutching at straws :blink:

It's something to do with early trade union type organisations IIRC. The sixth and seventh were established at the same time and argued over which was the sixth and which was the seventh.

Well being as the question was set by dodgydaved I'd hazzard a guess that its Guilds and not trade unions.

Aye, but which two :):lol:

It's something to do with early trade union type organisations IIRC. The sixth and seventh were established at the same time and argued over which was the sixth and which was the seventh.

Well being as the question was set by dodgydaved I'd hazzard a guess that its Guilds and not trade unions.

Aye, but which two :):lol:

If anyone knows this without Google, Wiki or other outside help (I just looked it up) then I'll eat my hat.

Maybe dodgydaved could make me one? :(:D

I have to take your first answer, sorry...

...which means a DING! for you. Guinness is also seen (I picked my words with care) as a family ancestor in a portrait for which he sat, making nine in total. Over to you :ph34r:

That's true. It one of my favourite films of all time. Watched it hundreds of times.

OK, here's one that just came up as I was watching Look North on my Slingbox.

It's an easy one. What connects Crufts, the Rugby League Challenge Cup and the British Brass Band Championships.

a.

Correct. Any idea who? (not part of the answer)

Same one that did the FA Cup? If so I don't know the name but its in Sheffield, Junction of Woodseats Rd & Abbeydale Rd - tiny little shop. Or that's what I was told in my youth. :)

Yes they also made the FA Cup. but not in Sheffield. It was Fattorini, and all the trophies were made in Bradford. They are still around but now based in Birmingham.

Interestingly the Crufts trophy is the same design as the Brass Band only scaled down. The story on Look North was about the Black Dyke (Mils) Band becoming the most successful brass band ever by winning the trophy of the 21st time.

Over to the 'Gal for the next question.

Edited by SlytherinAlex

Anyone else want to ask a question? I'm all out of good questions at the moment.

alex

OK, as no-one else has jumped in, and I'm stuck in Florida for work, I'll jump in with a real pub level question...

Amongst the top 92 football clubs in the English leagues (including any Welsh clubs), what makes Hull City unique?

(In case there are more than one reasons you have to come up with the particular one I know of).

Edited by The Bongtwashes

It's the only team nicknamed 'Tigers'

It's the only team daft enough to continue to employ Dean Windass as a 'player'. :laughing:

It's the only professional football team in Hull (in fact, it might be the only pro team in 'East Yorkshire' since the demise of Scarborough.

And finally, probably the answer you're wanting...

It has no letters you can colour in. :unsure:

It's the only team nicknamed 'Tigers'

It's the only team daft enough to continue to employ Dean Windass as a 'player'. :laughing:

It's the only professional football team in Hull (in fact, it might be the only pro team in 'East Yorkshire' since the demise of Scarborough.

And finally, probably the answer you're wanting...

It has no letters you can colour in. :unsure:

Ding

I'll take that last answer

Oh good, my brain hasn't completely addled then.

Here's a pub quiz question asked in a pub quiz I did last Friday.

Take the gameshow where you could win "BFH", a flyer of the genus Bombus, the singer of "That's Livin' Alright" and the star of the short comedy film "The Plank" and you get what connection?

Ding goes to the person who gets the thing that connects them all, but please feel free to explain how you got there.