The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

A red phone box?

In MrsB's absense, I think I can safely ding that having googled it and kicked myself!!

Ummmm :P

Because I'm feeling generous this morning (having just had a tasty bowl of porridge and blueberries) I will give a ding to SlytherinAlex, because K1 was indeed the first design for the the public phone boxes. However, they were not predominantly red: They were white concrete on three sides, with a red framework around the door.

All you could ever want to know about telephone kiosks.

Over to you, SlytherinAlex...

MrsB B)

10 pin bowling balls?

Wasn't sure if anyone would get that without googling, but well done. Correct answer.

Just bought a Grand Illusion myself. Great ball.

a.

I have a Columbia u300 (not pretty, but it's a nice ball) and a Storm. Haven't been bowling for ages though, as I got tennis elbow thanks to my old job! They're starting up a ladies league on Weds nights at the new job so I'm thinking I might try again and see how the elbow holds up. Definitely won't be using the u300 for a while as it's a 15lb ball, fingertip drilled. I hate that a lot of the alleys here in the UK have no clue about lane maintenance. I throw a mean hook and on a dry lane that means instant gutters (I'm American but have been living in Scotland for 7 years). Okay, so now I have to think of a question... hmmmm....

Ok here goes... Along with geocaching, I have a 2nd hobby: I am a polymer clay artist (Fimo is a polymer clay, though not my brand of choice). There are 2 clay techniques that we have 'stolen'. One is a Japanese metalworking technique, the name translates as 'wood eye metal', and the other is an Italian glassmaking technique. The name of this one translates as 'thousands of flowers'. What are the correct names for these techniques?

Anyone who watches Antiques Roadshow regularly will probably get the Italian one pretty quickly...

Ok since no one seems to be trying this, I'm going to give over to Pharisee to post the next question. The second technique is 'Mokume Gane'. Sorry it took me so long to post, I haven't been able to get into the forum for a couple days, something going a bit wonky with the Interweb!

OK here goes.

In Last of the summer wine Nora Batty is married to Wally, But in the pilot episode long ago her husband (not seen) was referred to by a different name. What was he called.

For a bonus point in the episode "Who's looking after the cafe" Wesley gives the trio a lift in his Landrover and has rock music blasting very loudly, What is the name of the group and the track playing.

( I do not know and have never been able to find out)

Edited by The Spokes

I'm going to guess at Willy, because I can see how that would be funny for a pilot, but too 'edgy' for the series. As for the music, isn't there a phone number you can play music to (is that episode of TLOTSW on DVD or BBC iPlayer?) which will identify it?

I'm going to guess Norman, as I reckon there could be a joke in there somewhere.

As for the song, go to songtapper and see if it can figure it out for you.

Sometimes being 6 hours behind you lot does give me an advantage. This is such an occasions. I've just finished my tea and you are ll presumably tucked up in bed.

So, final answer. Location is TQ 142 796 GB Grid

You didn't ask for the name of the road. A grid reference should be good enough.

gam_ordsvywat-sun-176496228007.png

Edited by SlytherinAlex

DING you got it, they are actually listed as the 'Three Bridges' and located on Windmill Lane close to the site of the old St Bernards mental institution and the old AEC factory where the Red London Transport buses were built. There is also a 'Letterbox Hybrid' cache located there GCYGR6.

So ding over to you

Edited by DrDick&Vick

DING you got it, they are actually listed as the 'Three Bridges' and located on Windmill Lane close to the site of the old St Bernards mental institution and the old AEC factory where the Red London Transport buses were built. There is also a 'Letterbox Hybrid' cache located there GCYGR6.

So ding over to you

And there are actually only two bridges. The canal bridge and the road bridge. The railway is at ground level.

So - this question links the last two questions. It was featured a lot in the TV series mentioned in the penultimate question.

Name this bridge and the geocache that overlooks it. I remember doing the cache and describing it in my log as a classic.

361531fa-1560-494c-8050-b6fadb8a3585.jpg