The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

all 28 (assuming Dorsetgal is correct, and who am I to doubt).

I've chucked in swimming....next?

But then again it's not my quiz.

I know it is 28, I am part of the accessible transport planning for 2012, so have done more than the average amount of reading on the subject of the Olympics for the past 18 months or so, and for obvious reasons have a general interest in the Olympics, but would not be any more able to name more than about a dozen off the top of my head, just like anyone else!

, how many events does the Decathlon count as?
My hunch would be one as there is only one Decathlon Gold medal?
good point -hadn't thought of that... :lol:
Men's Decathlon, Women's Decathlon = Two gold medals = Two events? :lol:

Isn't it the heptathlon for women, or am I hopelessly out of date?

, how many events does the Decathlon count as?
My hunch would be one as there is only one Decathlon Gold medal?
good point -hadn't thought of that... :lol:
Men's Decathlon, Women's Decathlon = Two gold medals = Two events? :lol:

Isn't it the heptathlon for women, or am I hopelessly out of date?

There's also the pentathlon isn't there? Don't all of the parts of these exist in their own right as individual events as well?

There must well over 200 track and field events alone before we count the swimming, cycling, shooting, rowing, etc., etc.,..... :huh:

all 28 (assuming Dorsetgal is correct, and who am I to doubt).

I've chucked in swimming....next?

But then again it's not my quiz.

I know it is 28, I am part of the accessible transport planning for 2012, so have done more than the average amount of reading on the subject of the Olympics for the past 18 months or so, and for obvious reasons have a general interest in the Olympics, but would not be any more able to name more than about a dozen off the top of my head, just like anyone else!

The 'who am I to doubt' bit was meant as an acknowledgement of your greater knowledge in this area. I knew about your involvement and torch carrying etc so didn't doubt for a second that your answer was correct.

I guess I was still trying to work out if the interpretation of events vs sports matched the question setter's intention

We often have that problem at quiz nights. Sometimes the question setter has taken an answer from a book, but if you know a bit more about the subject there are other possible answers, and you have to work out what level the quiz is, if you see what I mean.

:o:D Are we allowing google and wikipedia now then?? :D:D

:D:D:D

Sorry not sure what I've done here

You haven't done anything wrong. My view of the comment is that it is implying that The Spokes used an internet search engine to find the answer, following an earlier comment, which they may or may not have done. It's against "the rules" which are probably somewhere back on page 1 with occasional reference elsewhere whenever this same "problem" turns up. However, I'm sure one of the others will be along shortly to tell me I'm wrong if I've misinterpreted. B)

On this point, because I've never taken the chance to make it before. It has been said one can use an encyclopedia to look stuff up but not online. As an avid quiz player, and organiser, I can't really see, IMHO, why walking across the room to look in a book is any better than checking online. A quiz should be about the knowledge you have and that you learn from questions and answers that others supply. If you were in a pub you couldn't get an encyclopedia out to answer a question, even if you were carrying one on you.

I knew the answer as I am into cycling and athletics and would have been able to tell you in a bar quiz how many gold, silver and bronze medals were won, (there are more bronze awarded) and how many the Great Britain team won.

The number of sports is laid down in the Olympic charter.

Why did 301 stick in my memory, Oh yes I used to play darts and 301 and 501 was a common game.

Perhaps I looked that up as well.

Thank you for calling me a cheat, very nice thanks.

I'm not sure I would have gotten the number of events in a month of Sundays without some higher / lower help :)

Neither would I, but I used to read out the quiz at my local pub, and one of the tie-breakers was "How many gold medals are awarded at the olympics". Some things stick in the dustbin of the brain and 301 was one of them.

As to whether the number of golds is the same as the number of events I cannot argue.

Was it ceremoniously destroyed by members of the board of Universal Pictures following Shatner / Kirk's use of it on Lt Uhuru , during a slack moment whilst filming Star trek V - The Final Frontier - thus causing her to leap up naked from a sand dune and perform the feather dance (memorably caught on film by an off-duty cameraman and subsequently used in the film to mitigate any scandal???

:laughing::)

I might know the answer to this one but I would have to watch a DVD to find out and im not sure if that is in the rules

....from Page 1 of the original thread:

"Rule 1 - No googling!

Rule 2 - Try and keep your question at the level someone in a pub quiz might be able to answer..."

.....nowt about DVD's there I feel :laughing:

Is it somewhere in your brain then

It wa used as part of a fictional drug alert on the drug episode of brass eye but they cut the main bit out of the dvd but noel edmonds still says it affects that part of your brain, dan I shall have to put it on again

It was about some fake cake drug

I was about to say 'urry up 'arry(hotspur) but there's no need- DING! Yep, it was a spoof thing in your brain which the 'made up' drug Cake affected in the Drugs episode of Brass Eye. Hardly well known, but an unusual enough name to... well, stick in people's minds, I hoped :)

Over to you Harry!