The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Thanks very much. This one isn't from that book, but I find it Quite Interesting anyway...

Some countries are sovereign states, completely surrounded by another. (National waters don't count as 'a country')

Three such sovereign countries exist- Simply name them :)

San Marino

Vatican City

Lesotho

Promise you didn't google? That was very quick! DING! :)

I promise! It's one of those random things I've heard in pub quizzes before, although Lesotho took a few seconds before I remembered it's name!

Ok, next question: Who lives at 62 West Wallaby Street?

It's Pub Quiz tennis! The answer it Wallace and Gromit. And for a while, Feathers McGraw...
SP serves an ace with that answer and gets a DING for his troubles (even if he forgot to mention Sean the Sheep!)
Ok, perhaps a harder one. What do/did Olivia de Havilland, Elvis Presley, Jeremy Irons and Nicolas Cage have in common?*

If it proves too hard, I have a few other names I can add to the list.

*Apart for the obvious: Human, two legs, two arms, one nose...

It's Pub Quiz tennis! The answer it Wallace and Gromit. And for a while, Feathers McGraw...
SP serves an ace with that answer and gets a DING for his troubles (even if he forgot to mention Sean the Sheep!)
Ok, perhaps a harder one. What do/did Olivia de Havilland, Elvis Presley, Jeremy Irons and Nicolas Cage have in common?*

If it proves too hard, I have a few other names I can add to the list.

*Apart for the obvious: Human, two legs, two arms, one nose...

They've all been in films............well............they have!

Sorry Marty, as you've spotted, The Lavender Hill Mob have stumbled upon the correct answer with perhaps too much help. Anyway, a DING to them ;)

Olivia de Havilland played both twins in The Dark Mirror, Elvis Presley was twins in Kissin' Cousins, Jeremy Irons was both twins in Dead Ringers and Nicholas Cage was the most recent twins, in Adaptation. Somehow I left Jean-Claude Van Damme's iconic double performance in Double Impact off the list... ;)

John Manners had many pubs named after him. What was he better known as (ie the name of the pubs), and why are they named after him?

Is he the one that's the Marquis of Granby, and it's something to do with granting the right to sell beer or something similar.

The first parts right, so a semi-ding to Croft House Cachers, the full ding for the reason

John Manners had many pubs named after him. What was he better known as (ie the name of the pubs), and why are they named after him?

Is he the one that's the Marquis of Granby, and it's something to do with granting the right to sell beer or something similar.

The first parts right, so a semi-ding to Croft House Cachers, the full ding for the reason

He gave a sum of money to retiring NCO's who had fought under him to help them set up pubs, many of them named the pub after him as a result.

He gave a sum of money to retiring NCO's who had fought under him to help them set up pubs, many of them named the pub after him as a result.

That's a DING to Marty, and thanks to the Marquis for enabling all those pubs those to open. :D hic.

That's a DING to Marty, and thanks to the Marquis for enabling all those pubs those to open. :D hic.

Well as I need a question quickly, and it's a subject close to my heart I'll stick with it and ask:

If you go into a pub in parts of the North and Scotland you might ask for a pint of 80/- (80 shillings to you youngsters!) What's the derivation of the name?

I know this one (it pays to share a name with the spokesman of the Brewers Federation) - it's the amount of tax that was paid on a barrel (might not have been a barrel - might have been a hogshead or something) - anyway, the tax paid on the *insert name of generic large beer container here*...... and the more alcoholic the beer, the higher the tax - so the 80 shillings was a metaphor for the quality

I know this one (it pays to share a name with the spokesman of the Brewers Federation) - it's the amount of tax that was paid on a barrel (might not have been a barrel - might have been a hogshead or something) - anyway, the tax paid on the *insert name of generic large beer container here*...... and the more alcoholic the beer, the higher the tax - so the 80 shillings was a metaphor for the quality

Absolutely rignt.

DING

Oops, not expecting that, continuing the PUB QUIZ theme, what is the most common pub name in Britain?

Sorry if it's been asked before, it may have been. I'm prepared for people arguing, but the answer I'm after is the one that agrees with the 5 references I found. :o

Red Lion ??

a.

I suspect SA might be right but just in case I'll guess Kings Arms.

Oops, not expecting that, continuing the PUB QUIZ theme, what is the most common pub name in Britain?

Sorry if it's been asked before, it may have been. I'm prepared for people arguing, but the answer I'm after is the one that agrees with the 5 references I found. :o

Red Lion ??

a.

Yes, that's a DING to SA. And contrary to popular opinion I haven't been in them all (not quite anyway)

No 1 is LA Galaxy, USA

No 4 is Bayern Munich, Germany

I'm sure I recognise the badge for No 2, but can't remember at the moment.

Those are the two i was sure about as well.

i also think No2 is familiar. Guesses:

2: Barcelona, Spain

3: Ferencvaros, Hungary (though I think they're green & white so am probably wrong)