2. Gin Fizz - TLHM (see below)

3. Harvey Wallbanger - Ayondin

4. Screwdriver - Ayondin

6. Pinacolada - TLHM

7. Black Russian - Nediam

8. Blue Lagoon - Mrs B

9. Whiskey Sour - Mrs B

10. Margaretta - TLHM

Number 2 was a Tom Collins, however I see now that the main differences between a Tom Collins and a Gin Fizz are the Tom Collins is served over ice in a tall galss, but as I left out those details it could also be a Gin Fizz.

So we're just looking for number 5, and it's another 'classic' not one of the silly modern ones with rude names :laughing: .

My esteemed collegue, Mr Peter Blower, who's here with me in Romania clicking his heels...... like me...... says No.5 is a Brandy Sour!

We are sooooooooo bored.

Edited by The Lavender Hill Mob

Not Brandy Alexander or Morning Glory.

PS While checking the receipe for Brandy Alexander I stumbled across a page for one Brandy Alexandre who's a pr0n actress - good job I was at home and not at work :D

Here's a hint: When I was a baby me & my mum went on holiday in one, my dad wasn't in there with us but was only about 2ft away for the entire journey :unsure:

Thanks, got a bit excited about that one!

For each year, can you name the film which won the Oscar for Best Picture? Then take the first letter of all the films and rearrange to find the name of the central mystery of a great film. (I will add leading ladies/gentlemen if it seems too hard)

If a film title begins with 'the' or 'a' then use the first letter of the next word and on one of them I had to cheat a little, so you need to convert the first word into text speak to get the right letter (easier to do than explain).

1938 -

1980 -

1988 - rain man

1989 -

1993 - schindlers list

1995 - braveheart

1996 -

DING goes to the last answer - so if someone gets the anagram before all the film titles we will still be looking for the remaining titles.

Thanks, got a bit excited about that one!

For each year, can you name the film which won the Oscar for Best Picture? Then take the first letter of all the films and rearrange to find the name of the central mystery of a great film. (I will add leading ladies/gentlemen if it seems too hard)

If a film title begins with 'the' or 'a' then use the first letter of the next word and on one of them I had to cheat a little, so you need to convert the first word into text speak to get the right letter (easier to do than explain).

1938 -

1980 -

1988 - rain man

1989 -

1993 - schindlers list

1995 - braveheart

1996 -

DING goes to the last answer - so if someone gets the anagram before all the film titles we will still be looking for the remaining titles.

Can't get any of the films, but if Keehotee's got those three right I reckon the mystery word is :-

Rosebud

uttered from the dying lips of Citizen Cane

My esteemed collegue, Mr Peter Blower, who's here with me in Romania clicking his heels...... like me...... says No.5 is a Brandy Sour!

We are sooooooooo bored.

No, I suggest more research is needed so get down to the nearest cocktail bar and start drinking :unsure: .

Actually...we did.

After we said 'Brandy Sour' we googled it and realised we were wrong, so we left the office and went to Constanta, a Black Sea coastal resort in Romania and spent Friday and Saturday night in the 'Irish Pub'............we do that at weekends when we're in this God forsaken country.

Thank you very much..... (racks brain to think of a question)

Ok - and it's a topical one.

What, and where, are the following:-

1.Barat - close from Silver fox - might have to research....

2.Chubasco - ding, silver fox

3.Diablo - not mexico, but close to sundowner

4.Levanter

5.Shamal - ding, tlhm

6. Willy-willy ding, dino

7.Sundowner - see 3 above!

8.Leste - not france

Although my source may not be unimpeachable, so I'm open to persuasion......

Sorry folks - it is dragging on a bit isn't it.

OK - to speed things up a bit.....

3 and 7 are in the same state.

8 and 4 are not mainland, and can both be felt in the same place (although the spellings vary)

Both are northern hemisphere - and both are popular holiday destinations (although one has rather more caches than the other)

and silver fox can have barat.

Which means we need an answer for 3/7 and an answer for 4/8.

I think the "Levant" is a poetic name given to a chunk of the mid east around Lebanon, Syria and Israel ish.

I guess a Levanter and a Leste are winds blowing across this region from the far east......... :anicute::drama::huh:

Or winds blowing across another region from the Levant???? ;););)

Boy! This is a tough question, I'd had put money on MartyBartfast's guesses being correct.

> Diablo - Australia

> Sundowner - Mexico

So I take it that the above are wrong :blink:

If 3 and 7 are in the same state then Diablo and Sundowner........SW corner USA........New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, California, Utah area!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Well you've nailed most of the likely suspects, but I'll guess the one you missed - Texas.

Kennamatic gets a ding for Mallorca - it's a hot dry wind that cuts across the Med from the East (L'Est - if you're French)(Levanter if you're not)

New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, California, Utah
adds up to 5 states by my reckoning. Pick one. As an extra clue - not necessarily south west, could be west or north west too!!!

Kennamatic gets a ding for Mallorca - it's a hot dry wind that cuts across the Med from the East (L'Est - if you're French)(Levanter if you're not)

adds up to 5 states by my reckoning. Pick one. As an extra clue - not necessarily south west, could be west or north west too!!!

California

Ding.....!

Diablo winds are the Northern California version of Santa Ana winds. These winds occur below canyons in the East Bay hills (Diablo range) and in extreme cases can exceed 60 mph.

Sundowner winds are warm downslope winds that periodically occur along a short segment of the Southern California coast in the vicinity of Santa Barbara. The name refers to their typical onset (on the populated coastal plain) in the late afternoon or early evening.

So I suppose you get it for the final ding............. :blink::rolleyes:

According to the QI book of animal ignorance (other pointless trivia books are available! ;) ) 'Kangaroo' means 'I dunno' - apparantly the response when asked by colonials when asking what the funny giant rabbit was called.

So there's no word for the animal, but there's a word for a part of the animal's anatomy? ;)

I suspect there are lots of different aboriginal languages , many of which Do/Did have words for the funny giant rabbit thing, but the settlers asked the village idiot.

I'l guess at nose.

According to the QI book of animal ignorance (other pointless trivia books are available! ;) ) 'Kangaroo' means 'I dunno' - apparantly the response when asked by colonials when asking what the funny giant rabbit was called.

Well according to the QI TV show (and many other sources) that's apocryphal, and frankly the idea that they wouldn't have a word for such a common animal is hard to believe. If you're interested you can see the transcript of the show where Jimmy Carr gave that answer and got "the horn" for it

here

Edited by MartyBartfast