The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Well hopefully someone will come up with some answers. This has been running 4 days now. Obviously not Pub Quiz standard.

Well, I do apologise for that, don't want to be holding people up, the only other one I posted was much too easy, so I am clearly having trouble with the standard. Let's give the DING to Keehotee for the most or Eckington for the last then -whoever wants it.

Cheers! Ness.

Give it to our Tim :anicute::D:D:D

Well, I do apologise for that, don't want to be holding people up, the only other one I posted was much too easy, so I am clearly having trouble with the standard.

I shouldn't worry, half the stuff that comes up on here isn't pub quiz standard. If it's any consolation I liked the question and would be interested in knowing the answers. If you don't want to post them I shall go off and google them.

Well, I do apologise for that, don't want to be holding people up, the only other one I posted was much too easy, so I am clearly having trouble with the standard.

I shouldn't worry, half the stuff that comes up on here isn't pub quiz standard. If it's any consolation I liked the question and would be interested in knowing the answers. If you don't want to post them I shall go off and google them.

Here's a link to a place to waste lots of time reading about trade name origins!

Fascinating, thanks for the questions. :D Even if I didn't have a clue about them. ;)

Edited by Team Sieni

Mathmatically, 4 equals a great many things:

the square of 2

the square root of 16

the answer to the sum 3+1

etc

All of these are specific mathmatical answers

Could we have a bit more context to the question?

OK, In the context of 2x2=4 what does 4 equal?

As all the replies have shown there are many different answers but there is only one mathmatical answer that covers them all. (Blimey THAT IS A BIG CLUE!)

BTW, I saw/heard this question on an episode of Silent Witness........if that helps.....which it doesn't :rolleyes:

Four is ...

Enough

Two times two

Two plus two

The answer

On the right hand side

One times four

Right

Five minus one

Corners of a square

Two squared

Not enough

Fuenf

Quattro

Nelja

Wrong

Quatre

The sweetest thing

More than three

Sylvia

Less than five

A positive integer

Twice the cube root of eight

A crowd

Two thirds the leg count of a cockroach

Never having to say you're sorry

Four is ...

Enough

Two times two

Two plus two

The answer

On the right hand side

One times four

Right

Five minus one

Corners of a square

Two squared

Not enough

Fuenf

Quattro

Nelja

Wrong

Quatre

The sweetest thing

More than three

Sylvia

Less than five

A positive integer

Twice the cube root of eight

A crowd

Two thirds the leg count of a cockroach

Never having to say you're sorry

You're on the right track. What you're trying to say is that 4 = 'Everything' but it doesn't, 4 doesn't equal 'Never having to say you're sorry' but 4 does = 'less than 5'............so what single 'term' if you like sums up what you're all trying to say?

A clue.........look at 8 another way.

A clue.........look at 8 another way.

Well, 8, laid on its side looks like the infinity symbol. As 4 is half of 8, it follows that 4 is half of infinity stood on end, which is infinite (but stood on end) - as izzy & lk say. On the other hand, 8 is also a bit like two 0's balanced on top of each other, so as 4 is half of 8, then 4 is zero. :rolleyes:

However, you could also argue that four is two number-twos. :ph34r:

But 4 doesn't equal infinity! 4 is finite (ie 2 + 2 --- it has a defined value). For example, 5 = 4+1, but by definition infinity +1 is infinity - therfore every number could be said to be infinity by your definition.

The number of ways to arrive at 4 might be infinite - but that wasn't the question........

Infinite? :D

DING!

4 = (infinity). Because there are an infinite number of solutions, 3+1, 100-96, 1/.25, 2x2 etc.etc.etc.

Anyway! I thought the concept was intersting. :rolleyes:

Over to Izzy

Huh? :D

By definition any real number is finite. As Finite is the opposite of Infinite, the two are mutually exclusive. Being a real number, 4 is therefore finite, thus cannot be infinite.

It is perfectly possible, as you've demonstrated, that there are infinite questions to which the answer is 4, but 4 itself can never be infinite. But being the answer to an infinite number of questions does not make the number itself infinite.

This is obviously completely pointless though, as one of the rules is the question setter gets to give the DING, irrespective of challenges to the answer. :ph34r:

OK next one....

Name, specifically, the only part of the human body that does not have a blood supply....

The meniscus (cartilage) in the knee joint is avascular.

Had to look into that one but according to this, they do have a blood supply (at least to the outer rim).....

I was after another part of the body..... higher up :rolleyes: