The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

I worked in Puerto Rico for a while a few years back. It wasn't an American State but if I remember correctly, it was a member of the 'American Commonwealth'.

Lovely country, by the way, but very... errr.... rough up the north west end where I was working. You needed to be incredibly 'street-wise' but if you mixed with the locals and didn't look down on them as a lot of Americans seemed to do, you can have a great time. I thoroughly enjoyed my two "tours of duty" there :ph34r:

Edited by Pharisee

There is a bridge-tunnel combination between Denmark and Sweden so that is not the longest tunnel. I know this because I had to visit Copenhagen on business and at the company there was a Swede and a Norwegian as well as many Danes. It was mentioned then that Norway has many long tunnels so I will go for that,

Helen

A Ding to Helen for Norway. At 24.5km (15.3miles) the Laerdal tunnel was opened in 2000 and links two valleys which needed a very long drive to get from one to another during the winter before it was dug. Amazingly, there's no toll to pay. That wouldn't happen here!

. Here's some more information on it. For example, it's half-as-long-again as the world's second longest road tunnel...

A lucky guess! I was thinking originally of the Mont Blanc tunnel but it seemed too obvious and now checking it is quite a way down the list of the longest tunnels. Funny how those chance discussions lead to such useless facts. Thanks for the information Paul ;)

Topical question... I was going to ask what is so special about Collop Monday (the last day you can eat meat before lent in a similar way to Shrove Tuesday being the last day to eat rich items such as milk, eggs, etc) but I have decided to ask a different question.

So, for the ding and without searching the web, what are the earliest and latest dates on which Shrove Tuesday can occur?

Helen

Shrove Tuesday should fall somewhere from February 3rd to March 9th? :)

DING

There are forty days of lent but you do not count sundays so Shrove Tuesday is 47 days before Easter. The earliest date for Easter is 22nd March and the last possible date for Easter is given by the latest possible sunday after the latest possible full moon after the equinox, which is 6 days after 29 days after 21st March, or 25th April. The process of calculating Easter is called computus. That leads to the dates above for the extrima of Shrove Tuesday.

Over to Izzy and the Lizard King...

Thanks to my map of Ankh-Morpork, the answer is the Patrician's Palace. Though I did suspect that was the correct answer without referring to the map.

DING! to plasma.

You always knew that map would come in useful one day :anibad:

Well I was hoping to visit :)

New question:

When does the American holiday of Thanksgiving fall?

Thanks to my map of Ankh-Morpork, the answer is the Patrician's Palace. Though I did suspect that was the correct answer without referring to the map.

DING! to plasma.

You always knew that map would come in useful one day :anibad:

Well I was hoping to visit :)

New question:

When does the American holiday of Thanksgiving fall?

Isn't it the penultimateThursday of November? It has been for the last two years, but that may be a coincidence...

I'm sure when I read this yesterday there was another reply after TLHM........or am I losing my marbles?????

p.s. BUMP

You are correct, however the person who posted has been suspended for a week for a breach of forum guidelines. Unfortunately this means that they will not be able to reply to this, or any other, thread.

I'm sure when I read this yesterday there was another reply after TLHM........or am I losing my marbles?????

p.s. BUMP

You are correct, however the person who posted has been suspended for a week for a breach of forum guidelines. Unfortunately this means that they will not be able to reply to this, or any other, thread.

errm that means no one can confirm the answer for a week

intermediate question

how far can a dog run in the woods?

p.s. BUMP

intermediate question

You should reword it as..

how far can a dog run into the woods?

A dog can run in the woods all day if it goes round in circles :rolleyes:

p.s. BUMP

intermediate question

Whoa!

Was the person suspended the question setter or just someone who put a reply there. As I didn't see the post in question I have no idea.

Can we have clarification?

Thanks

p.s. BUMP

intermediate question

You should reword it as..

how far can a dog run into the woods?

A dog can run in the woods all day if it goes round in circles :P

its not the answer, its not how long a dog can run in the woods but how far?

half way

(assuming you meant into the woods?)

Ding correct!

But only if you assume the woods are open on all sides!

If the woods had a dog-proof fence all the way around with a single entrance then doggy could run all the way to the other end, before having to turn around and come back the way he'd come....... :o:blink::o

If the dog runs into the woods, once it has reached the middle wherever it runs from then it's running out of the woods, thus the half way answer! (Which I didn't get)

But surely the dog can only run into the woods until it's there. As soon as it crosses the threshold it's IN the woods, and it doesn't matter which way, or for how long, or how far it runs, it's still running IN the woods until it crosses the threshold again while running out of the woods.

For the sake of argument, imagine yourself walking into the sea. Once you're in, you're walking in the sea - whether you're heading for the deepest part of the Pacific, or back to the shore.....

If the question had been "How far can a dog run into the deepest part of the woods" the answer would have been "until he gets there".......

Teehee - I don't want to win this round, I just love arguing semantics....

Edited by keehotee

If the question had been "How far can a dog run into the deepest part of the woods" the answer would have been "until he gets there".......

Teehee - I don't want to win this round, I just love arguing semantics....

Ah well.... if its semantics you like ..... "Untill he gets there" is a measure of time not distance .

:o:o:o:blink:

The Devil made me type it [:o]

Back on topic... Over to you skinnymalinky. As the winner of the last round, you get to place the next 'pub quiz' style question.

A reminder to players: Internet searches using a search engine is out, but books and phoning people who know the answer is ok. Don't call your mum and talk her though how to use Google though- that's cheating!